joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Severe Weather Thread

downeastnc

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah big fat blanket warning....MHX went with this for us, notice all the warnings stop at the RAH/MHX border...that cell pulsing south into northern Pitt Co might pull a warning if it can get a bit stronger.

PECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC
737 PM EDT FRI JUL 8 2016

NCZ029-044-080-090030-
BEAUFORT-PITT-MARTIN-
737 PM EDT FRI JUL 8 2016

...A LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT NORTHWESTERN
BEAUFORT...MARTIN AND NORTHERN PITT COUNTIES...

AT 736 PM EDT...RADAR INDICATED STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED
ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM NEAR SCOTLAND NECK TO TARBORO TO NEAR
ROCKY MOUNT. MOVEMENT WAS SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH AND HALF INCH HAIL ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE
STORMS.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
GREENVILLE...WILLIAMSTON...ROBERSONVILLE...PITT GREENVILLE AIRPORT...
DOWDY FICKLEN STADIUM...EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY...JAMESVILLE...
HAMILTON...OAK CITY...PARMELE...EVERETTS...FALKLAND...HASSELL AND
BEARGRASS.

SEEK SHELTER IN A NEARBY BUILDING OR VEHICLE. STRONG WINDS ARE
CAPABLE OF KNOCKING DOWN SMALL TREES AND BLOWING AROUND TRASH CANS...
POTTED PLANTS...LAWN FURNITURE AND OTHER LIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS.

LAT...LON 3601 7721 3593 7719 3594 7713 3593 7709
3594 7705 3589 7702 3586 7704 3586 7701
3589 7695 3586 7690 3582 7689 3560 7713
3555 7748 3570 7763 3580 7747 3583 7739
3582 7735 3591 7734 3600 7741 3607 7733
TIME...MOT...LOC 2336Z 313DEG 20KT 3606 7741 3592 7756 3590 7773

Just got warned. Hoping for a gust big enough to see a leaf fly by the window.

I've had rain and a couple of rumbles of thunder. I swear whenever we have a watch now and anything more than a marginal risk it is the kiss of death here for storms. It's getting as bad as when the models show a big snow storm here.

I've had rain and a couple of rumbles of thunder. I swear whenever we have a watch now and anything more than a marginal risk it is the kiss of death here for storms. It's getting as bad as when the models show a big snow storm here.

Just a little breeze under mostly cloudy skies for me. The weakest part of the entire line looks to move over my house in a half hour or so.

Solak,

Are you getting anything?

I'm about to get crushed. I don't see any way of missing this one. 

Rain rate is nowhere near the storm of the other day but there is more wind and a lot more lightning and thunder.  It looks to last longer as well. It's hard to type with four dogs trying to get on my lap. :)

Rain rate is nowhere near the storm of the other day but there is more wind and a lot more lightning and thunder.  It looks to last longer as well. It's hard to type with four dogs trying to get on my lap. :)

Pretty much a disappointment rain wise.  Only .31".  Nice light show though.  Nowhere near severe here.

I don't understand the severe warnings all the time. There must be only a 2 square mile area of severe activity within a given 30 square mile warning polygon.

Didn't they change what constitutes a warning a while back? Or maybe it has something to do with better radar now giving us more warnings than we used to get.

Not a single drop of rain yet. Warning cancelled, of course.

At least I had rain and some thunder. But it had been like most of the watches and warnings the past few years, a dud. I think people are going to start to tune out and think it's crying wolf with the way these warnings are issued now because the radar is so advanced now.

.03 here in SW Wake tonight. Radar looked great but something happened that they weakened considerably and then got strong again to the east. Interesting pattern tonight.

Was at the Bulls game and the power did go out for a few mins, then the storm came in and dumped rainfall. Was pretty intense. Game was canceled and we drove home and while the wife was driving got a short vid of the vivid lightning from the storms. It was a heck of a light show like Burns said.

Not so sure how to imbed youtube link on here but there is the vid of the lightning

https://youtu.be/okFUV3ZRqSc

Archived