joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Severe Weather Thread

downeastnc

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are weakening some and not as much lightning as they had before when they were in ROA and LYH area

Had incredible lightning in Roanoke. It was continuous for nearly 45 minutes to an hour. One of the better lightning "shows" that I've seen.

WILLIAMSBURG COUNTY, SC -

Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton has reported that a tornado touched down in the Kingstree area around 3 p.m. on Friday. 

Additionally, Swinton says Highway 261 to Manning has been shut down due to damage in the area. 

Swinton says a number of people are trapped in cars and homes. 

Stay with www.Live5News.com for more information.

WILLIAMSBURG COUNTY, SC -

Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton has reported that a tornado touched down in the Kingstree area around 3 p.m. on Friday. 

Additionally, Swinton says Highway 261 to Manning has been shut down due to damage in the area. 

Swinton says a number of people are trapped in cars and homes. 

Stay with www.Live5News.com for more information.

It's really possible this was a tornado. I had my radar up while traveling around the state and I was b*tching because I couldn't take time to watch it as it merged completely...lol   

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTH CAROLINA

WESTERN AND SOUTHERN VIRGINIA

SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA

* EFFECTIVE THIS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 350 PM UNTIL

1100 PM EDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...

SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE

ISOLATED VERY LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 2.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER

POSSIBLE

A TORNADO OR TWO POSSIBLE

Looks like there's a tornado warning for parts of Alamance, Chatham, and Orange Counties.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC551 PM EDT THU JUN 23 2016THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  NORTHERN CHATHAM COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...  SOUTHWESTERN ORANGE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...  SOUTHERN ALAMANCE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 630 PM EDT* AT 551 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A  TORNADO WAS LOCATED 11 MILES NORTH OF SILER CITY...MOVING  SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.  HAZARD...TORNADO AND HALF DOLLAR SIZE HAIL.  SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.  IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT           SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE           DAMAGE IS LIKELY.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  PITTSBORO...SWEPSONVILLE...SUTPHIN...FEARRINGTON...BYNUM...  SAXAPAHAW...CANE CREEK RESERVOIR...SNOW CAMP AND JORDAN LAKE.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...THIS TORNADO WARNING REPLACES THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING ISSUEDFOR THE SAME AREA.TAKE COVER NOW! MOVE TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWESTFLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF YOU ARE OUTDOORS...INA MOBILE HOME...OR IN A VEHICLE...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIALSHELTER AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.&&LAT...LON 3583 7900 3561 7926 3585 7954 3586 7954      3604 7933TIME...MOT...LOC 2151Z 301DEG 16KT 3589 7940TORNADO...RADAR INDICATEDHAIL...1.25IN

Lots of storms to the north in VA coming this way, too. My wife is at a concert at Walnut Creek.

The lead cell just crossing into NC is gonna end up with a tornado warning, pretty tight couplet on it now so it could get issued anytime now...

or its gonna fall apart a bit.....still those cells coming down from VA are hitting some prime instability and should persist easily. 

here is the current supercell composite from SPC, anything over 4 is high...

post-141-0-50062400-1466721398_thumb.gif

Whoa looks like a quick TDS popped up maybe 5-10 miles NW of Oxford, its weakened a bit now but for a few frames it looked like a likely TOG, not really there on the CC scans but the couplet got bright for a frame so it might have been legit....storm now carrying a tornado warning.

Archived