joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Severe Weather Thread

downeastnc

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least I had rain and some thunder. But it had been like most of the watches and warnings the past few years, a dud. I think people are going to start to tune out and think it's crying wolf with the way these warnings are issued now because the radar is so advanced now.

We got a full blown severe thunderstorm with no warning issued here. It goes the other way too.

not sure if this will go through or not but about to go into day5 with no power.worse than being banned.ill upload a picture of a possible tornado out ahead of the straight line winds once the power comes on.power polls,shingles off, and thousands of huge trees down.the power was constantly blinking as the storm hit west in Boone which gave plenty of lead time to shelter in the basement.it was very eery.got people from Alabama, Maryland and eastern NC here helping.side roads still dangerous.some are comparing to Hugo if not worse.myfox8 is 5mins up the road but I haven't showered in days or I would go talk to them and be on TV. they opened up shelters.lots live in trailers and it's hot inside plus some rooms don't have Windows for light.had to throw all food away.no bags of ice anywhere. if the power gets returned the phone lines and Internet could take additional days if not weeks.all the hotels are booked.

not sure if this will go through or not but about to go into day5 with no power.worse than being banned.ill upload a picture of a possible tornado out ahead of the straight line winds once the power comes on.power polls,shingles off, and thousands of huge trees down.the power was constantly blinking as the storm hit west in Boone which gave plenty of lead time to shelter in the basement.it was very eery.got people from Alabama, Maryland and eastern NC here helping.side roads still dangerous.some are comparing to Hugo if not worse.myfox8 is 5mins up the road but I haven't showered in days or I would go talk to them and be on TV. they opened up shelters.lots live in trailers and it's hot inside plus some rooms don't have Windows for light.had to throw all food away.no bags of ice anywhere. if the power gets returned the phone lines and Internet could take additional days if not weeks.all the hotels are booked.

:lol:  It wasnt a tornado and that was done by your friends at the NWS who checked the area out

I bought a nice flashlight and batteries at the wilkesbro walwart on Friday night... Just to screw with the local yokels.

this is just downright scary :yikes:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  

TORNADO WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA / RUSKIN FL  
659 PM EDT MON JUL 11 2016  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RUSKIN HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  
NORTHEASTERN MANATEE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL FLORIDA...  

* UNTIL 715 PM EDT  

* AT 657 PM EDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED A WHICH WAS LOCATED NEAR  
DUETTE
...MOVING WEST AT 10 MPH.  

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.  

SOURCE...PUBLIC REPORTED TORNADO.

While no "official" tornado...there was rotation embedded out ahead of the line with significant and rapid lowering of the cloud. It was coming down so fast I really think it reached the tree tops but due to the straight line winds coming towards my back in this picture...I will never know. Everyone in the neighborhood were already outside watching this spin due to the power flashes well in advanced. Attention turned away from this when debris in the air started flying behind us with the straight line winds. When the two features merged the bottom literally fell out. BIG time train sound...gusts around 80mph I would estimate. My call to the NWS for funnel cloud embedded in the line would not go through in the basement.

As a skywarn spotter and several online met courses passed, I'm pretty sure in what I saw. Definite spin unlike scud clouds that move in one direction. Estimate of wind pretty certain as well after years of seeing severe storms with winds usually topping out at 50-60mph tops. 

13590293_1046027622118324_58503651326146

There was no rotation in the storm at all. Your photo of the cloud looks like a typical leading edge of a bow echo/squall line. These will typically have rapidly rising cloud tags on the leading edge and will occasionally have small eddies/turbulence embedded that appear to be rotating. All of the damage seen appeared to be straighline winds. For example, notice how all the trees are down in a uniform direction. This is indicative of high wind/non-tornadic damage.

bad storm came through elkin today wxii12 and fox8 showing some of the damage...windows in cars blew out....roof on vehicles....powerlines down....some of the roads in the center of downtown remain closed. 

The last week straight line winds last week will have lasting impacts through August. Duke Energy did a lot of temporary fixes it seems when you drive around you still see trees bending on the lines in several spots.

- Warrior Creek Campground will be closed until July 14.
- Bandit's Roost Campground will be closed until July 20 with the exception of the Group Area which will be closed until August 4.
- Dam Site Park will be closed until August 4 with exception of the boat ramp which will remain open.
- Berry Mountain Park will be closed until July 26.
- Fort Hamby Campground and Park will be closed until August 4. 
- All trails and the disc golf course will be closed until further notice.

These dates are estimates based on initial assessments of damage and the ability to contract repairs.

Slight Risk today:

day1otlk_1300.gif

...CAROLINAS/VA REGION...
   RELATIVE CONCENTRATION OF TSTMS AND SVR POTENTIAL IS BECOMING
   APPARENT FOR THIS AFTN INTO EVENING S OF FRONT...OVER AREAS UPGRADED
   TO 15%/SLGT/CAT-1 SVR OUTLOOK.  WIDELY SCATTERED TO SCATTERED TSTMS
   ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TODAY OVER HIGHER TERRAIN OF WRN VA AND MOVE
   ACROSS VA/NC PIEDMONT REGION WHILE INCREASING IN COVERAGE/
   INTENSITY...THEN SURVIVE SEWD OVER PORTIONS COASTAL PLAIN BEFORE
   WEAKENING THIS EVENING.  DAMAGING GUSTS ARE PRIMARY CONCERN AND
   ISOLATED SVR HAIL ALSO IS POSSIBLE.  

STG AND SUSTAINED DIABATIC HEATING OF RICHLY MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER IS
   FCST BENEATH SEASONALLY STEEP MID/UPPER-LEVEL LAPSE RATES...ALONG
   WITH HEIGHT FALLS AND DIFLUENT FLOW ALOFT.  MODIFIED RAOBS AND MODEL
   FCST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST DEEP BUOYANT LAYERS WITH POTENTIAL FOR
   SUBSTANTIAL WATER LOADING OF SOME DOWNDRAFTS.  MLCAPE VALUES SHOULD
   REACH 2000-3000 J/KG...LOCALLY HIGHER.  THOUGH LOW/MIDDLE-LEVEL
   WINDS WILL BE WEAK...LIMITING TRADITIONAL MEASURES OF VERTICAL
   SHEAR...STRONGER ANVIL-LEVEL FLOW SHOULD AID WITH VENTING ALOFT. 
   WIDELY SCATTERED TO SCATTERED TSTMS ALSO ARE EXPECTED FARTHER SW
   INTO PORTIONS GA...BUT WITH MORE-ISOLATED/LESS-ORGANIZED WIND-DAMAGE
   POTENTIAL GIVEN WEAKER FORCING/FLOW OVERALL AND GENERALLY SMALLER
   MID/UPPER-LEVEL LAPSE RATES.

MD 1406 graphic

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1406
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1245 PM CDT WED JUL 27 2016

AREAS AFFECTED...SERN WV...SWRN/WRN/CNTRL VA...NWRN/CNTRL NC

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY 

VALID 271745Z - 271945Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...20 PERCENT

SUMMARY...TSTM COVERAGE WILL LIKELY INCREASE DURING THE NEXT FEW
   HOURS. DAMAGING WIND GUSTS ARE POSSIBLE BUT SVR COVERAGE IS
   CURRENTLY EXPECTED TO BE TOO LOW TO MERIT A WATCH.

DISCUSSION...DIURNAL DESTABILIZATION COUPLED WITH WEAK LARGE-SCALE
   FORCING FOR ASCENT AND MODEST SURFACE CONVERGENCE IS EXPECTED TO
   RESULT IN INCREASING TSTM COVERAGE OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS.
   MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE POOR /AROUND 6 DEG C PER KM FROM 700 TO
   500 MB ON REGIONAL 12Z RAOBS/ BUT AMPLE LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE AND WARM
   TEMPERATURES ARE STILL SUPPORTING MLCAPE FROM 1500 TO 3000 J/KG
   BASED ON THE LATEST MESOANALYSIS. MODERATELY ENHANCED MID-LEVEL FLOW
   EXISTS BETWEEN THE MID-LEVEL ANTICYCLONE CENTERED OFF THE SE COAST
   AND MORE CYCLONIC FLOW FARTHER N ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE GREAT LAKES
   AND ERN CANADA. RESULTING ENVIRONMENT IS SUPPORTIVE OF WEAKLY
   ORGANIZED MULTICELLS AND/OR CONVECTIVE CLUSTERS BUT SOME DAMAGING
   WIND GUSTS ARE POSSIBLE AS A RESULT OF CELL MERGERS AND PRECIP
   LOADING. SVR COVERAGE IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN LOW AND A WATCH IS NOT
   CURRENTLY ANTICIPATED.

..MOSIER/DIAL.. 07/27/2016