Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane season

Jason WX

10 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

Model report cards so everyone can see whats happening here...

GFS is ranked fifth behind the CMC and JMA in the tropics, ECM and UKMET dominating at three days out. Its ranked fourth at day 5. 

cor_day3_HGT_P500_G2TRO.png

if those numbers are to believed, with the JMA being in a close 2nd place so far this season, I just took a look at the latest 12z run, at least what has come in so far via tropical tidbits. And it supports the GFS weak system scenario. As for the canadian global from the same site, it has the system fairly weak (1008 or so) as it goes near MIA, then when it gets to the GOM it eventually heads to Mobile Bay as a strong TS or so.

but those are just the model scenarios, nowhere near reality as of this moment. something to think about for sure.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think we may have a bingo. KJUA radar picking up on what appears to be a closed circulation just North of St Croix.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=JUA&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

With the MCV to the south dying off, and convection lacking anywhere near the LLC, I highly doubt this gets a name @ 5pm. 

Again, the 12z HWRF keeps this naked and has it interacting with Hispaniola. 

EDIT: 

Dies over Hispaniola shortly thereafter. 

hwrf_goes4_99L_3.png

2 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

With the MCV to the south dying off, and convection lacking anywhere near the LLC, I highly doubt this gets a name @ 5pm. 

Again, the 12z HWRF keeps this naked and has it interacting with Hispaniola. 

Agreed, but you can clearly see the southerly flow to the NE of St Croix along with what appears to be the beginnings of a ring of convection around the center.

Just now, Superstorm93 said:

Oh I agree with you on that, but the NHC will want convective organization before classifying. 

I agree, but I like the improvements over the last few hours, and hopefully things will continue to improve approaching the diurnal max tonight.

If you look closely at the 12z HWRF, it actually takes the convection currently near St Croix several hundred miles North of Hispaniola by tomorrow afternoon where it eventually dissipates.  

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I agree, but I like the improvements over the last few hours, and hopefully things will continue to improve approaching the diurnal max tonight.

If you look closely at the 12z HWRF, it actually takes the convection currently near St Croix several hundred miles North of Hispaniola by tomorrow afternoon where it eventually dissipates.  

The low-level structure looks good, and it only has a couple more hours of heavy shear, but one thing I failed to take into account is that the 12z HWRF is using the old coordinates that are off by a good deal. 

I could see the DMAX going either way tonight. 

Just now, Superstorm93 said:

The low-level structure looks good, and it only has a couple more hours of heavy shear, but one thing I failed to take into account is that the 12z HWRF is using the old coordinates that are off by a good deal. 

I could see the DMAX going either way tonight. 

I'm far from a tropical expert, but look how strong the clockwise winds are near Hispaniola, which seems to be helping to increase outflow on the Northern and Western sides of the system.

6 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

12Z Euro breaks down the ridge a lot more than previous runs it changes its orientation too, allowing it (Hermine) to scoot along the W coast of FL... Not sure I'm buying that. 

yeah that  is bullsh!t    EURo  eps  will be  way west  of the op  run

1 hour ago, Superstorm93 said:

Multiple obs of 60 mph winds...

That's kind of ludicrous. 

ScreenHunter_253%20Aug.%2024%2013.30.png

What station is that? I could not find a station in the Lesser Antilles reporting higher winds. But I might have missed something.

The whole cloud pattern here looks like it could be a 35kt - 45 kt tropical storm already, but you don't necessarily have to take my word on it.

This reminds me a lot of Erika last year. Essentially formed at the same time. Large wave, not vertically stacked, similar track with at least some interaction with Hispaniola (just a tad north with 99L I think, whereas Ericka got obliterated by Hispanola, but that remains to be seen), lots of uncertainty regarding track and strength, and also lots of potential. 

Thoughts?

What station is that? I could not find a station in the Lesser Antilles reporting higher winds. But I might have missed something.

The whole cloud pattern here looks like it could be a 35kt - 45 kt tropical storm already, but you don't necessarily have to take my word on it.

That was recon. Flight level on the left and SFMR on the right. Eric Blake said they could be a little too high obviously.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There are 2 main areas of low level vorticity, clearly seen in the vis imagery. One is moving west, crashing head on with Hispaniola and the other one is moving WNW, north of PR. They are probably interacting with each other, doing some Fujiwhara. Only after one disappears or coalesce into one we'll have any chance of development.

Archived