joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy sh!t! This party starts tomorrow night! I can't believe it! We've been chasing 5-10 day storms for so long! Looks like a finger of precip gets to me by 9-11 pm as rain, then quickly turns icy! Then there's a lull. And main batch comes in Fri morning , as more ice here, according to the simulated radar

Holy sh!t! This party starts tomorrow night! I can't believe it! We've been chasing 5-10 day storms for so long! Looks like a finger of precip gets to me by 9-11 pm as rain, then quickly turns icy! Then there's a lull. And main batch comes in Fri morning , as more ice here, according to the simulated radar

Wyff and Chris Justice are going with .25 ice and 4 inches of snow.

I am shocked the NWS is consistently ignoring the EURO and foreign models considering how the GFS is consistently and slowing catching up to it.  Same with the NAM, 18Z continues the trend.  At what point do they figure "you know what, maybe we ought to just look at the EURO instead?".

No, we're not ignoring the ECMWF. Just because it's not mentioned in the AFD doesn't mean we don't look at it nor give it weight in the fcst process.

Just ducking in to say - in 2014 Augusta was ground zero for ice in the v-day storm. We were very much crippled in areas for almost a week with this, and some of the damage could have been mitigated. So many people were caught off guard when they were stranded at their homes, no power, unable to drive for supplies or food. The lines at fast food joints 36 hours later were obscene.

If you're in the pink (parts of NC/GSP and upstate): consider not just the standard 3-5 days of water and food but also freshly laundered sheets and blankets, firewood if you have a fireplace, an emergency radio, and a couple power blocks (assuming you're not in the market for a generator). Some waited 4-6 days for power to be restored down here. Charge your ebook reader or hit the library.

Take special care if you're in a wooded area. That was by far the most damage for the area - the suburbs northwest of Augusta are in many cases carved out of the woods. If you have any iffy branches hanging over your home, take care of them before they get a chance to take care of your house. And as the storm proceeds, careful of snapping power lines and popping transformers. 

Don't mean to preach to the choir, just aware as an expatriate northerner that really severe icing events are rare enough that they knock people off their feet. Be safe and enjoy, everyone! Pray for a dusting this far south, haha  :whistle:

bingo.

Edit: hahaha 

come one folks I am sure your local office is looking at the sexy euro .

Its because AFD's have not mentioned it, so it seems like its not being used.  

"I USED A 2:1 BLEND OF NAM/GFS FOR PROFILES AND A TOP-DOWN APPROACH FOR

THE WX GRIDS AND ESTABLISH THE P-TYPE EVOLUTION."

Nearly everyone has had the same type of language so I think its understandable to not think the EURO and others are being considered.  Then add on top that local mets like to only forecast the GFS and/or NAM and it seems like those are all that get used.

Nearly everyone has had the same type of language so I think its understandable to not think the EURO and others are being considered.  Then add on top that local mets like to only forecast the GFS and/or NAM and it seems like those are all that get used.

The ECMWF is not available for certain preliminary procedures we like to use, but our final fcsts always consider all available guidance. 

The ECMWF is not available for certain preliminary procedures we like to use, but our final fcsts always consider all available guidance.

Thanks for clarifying!

Wasn't trying to slam anyone, hope it didn't come off that way. Just head scratching for those of us who don't really know how these AFD's are put together or determined.

Awesome to see people reaching out to clarify. Good luck with the upcoming storm! Sure it's a very stressful time.

Ye Olde Fishel just said expect little to no wrap around snow on Saturday for RDU. :axe:

Wouldn't know, WRAL too proud to negotiate with DirecTV can't get it right now.

That's fine by me, I'd rather read local amateur mets input along with look at models than listen to his drivel. Looking at some of the estimates I do wonder if some think we get into a dryer area as it moves through and not get as much precip.

Nearly everyone has had the same type of language so I think its understandable to not think the EURO and others are being considered. Then add on top that local mets like to only forecast the GFS and/or NAM and it seems like those are all that get used.

Cool handle. I'll go on what isohume states as he works at a local nws office .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, but it wasn't used in the forecast.  Which still astounds me.  But I know, I'm just a weenie!

GSP or any other NWS office is going to use every tool in their toolbox.  Their forecasts are what are used to determine the actions of local and state governments, and their forecasts are the most scrutinized because of this.  They will use every tool they have to come up with the best forecast, and they are the forecasters I trust the most.

Wouldn't know, WRAL too proud to negotiate with DirecTV can't get it right now.

That's fine by me, I'd rather read local amateur mets input along with look at models than listen to his drivel. Looking at some of the estimates I do wonder if some think we get into a dryer area as it moves through and not get as much precip.

WRAL and DTV came to terms today, should be back.

Funny you mention drier air, the last RAH discussion mentions dry slot as a concern. :ph34r:

A COUPLE ITEMS WORTH NOTING INCLUDE:

- OVERALL...THE WORST OF THE CONDITIONS...IN TERMS OF SNOW AND

ICE ACCUMULATION AND RESULTING IMPACTS...ARE EXPECTED ALONG AND NORTH

OF THE I-85 CORRIDOR.

- GENERALLY EXPECTING A 1/4 INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION FOR A LARGE

PORTION OF OUR AREA NORTH OF A LINE FROM ALBEMARLE TO PINEHURST TO

SMITHFIELD TO WILSON. A NARROW SWATH OF 1/2 INCH ICE ACCUMULATION IS

POSSIBLE FROM ASHEBOROTO BURLINGTON AND HILLSBOROUGH...TO HENDERSON.

WE USUALLY START GETTING REPORTS OF FALLING BRANCHES AND

POWER OUTAGES ONCE THE ICE ACCUMULATES 1/4 INCH OR MORE.

- THE HEAVIEST SNOW ACCUMULATION IN OUR CWA IS EXPECTED TO BE ACROSS

FORSYTH AND NW GUILFORD COUNTIES...WHERE 8-12 INCHES OF SNOW

ISN`T OUT OF THE QUESTION.

- IF THE MODELS CONTINUE TO TREND FARTHER SOUTH WITH THE LOW TRACK

AND SUBSEQUENT COLDER AIR...WE`D HAVE TO SHIFT THE AFOREMENTIONED

ITEMS AND IMPACTS FARTHER SOUTH.

- THERE IS SOME CONCERN THAT AN IMPRESSIVE DRY SLOT WRAPPING AROUND

THIS SYSTEM MAY ACTUALLY CUT OFF THE PRECIP SOONER THAN EXPECTED...

WHICH WOULD ULTIMATELY LESSEN THE AFOREMENTIONED AMOUNTS.

- PLENTY OF UNCERTAINTY REGARDING SATURDAY SNOW/FREEZING RAIN

POTENTIAL AND AMOUNTS. MODEL QPF VALUES FOR THIS TIME PERIOD ARE

PRETTY LIGHT...BUT SOME OF THE ENSEMBLE MEMBERS ARE WETTER.

STAY TUNED!

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=RAH&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Archived