• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What it takes to get a snowstorm in SNE

USCAPEWEATHERAF

Here I'm going to show you the 00z NAM solution and why I think it is very close to becoming a snowstorm for the 2/3rds of eastern New England.

00z NAM shows a primary (Pacific Jet) shortwave over OK and the secondary (Arctic Jet) shortwave over ND.  This is at hour 48.  Image one is the 48 hour mark at H5.  See how the shortwaves are diving southeastward into the long wave trough with H5 low centered over Northern Ontario, Canada province.

The second image is the 72 hour H5 depiction on the 00z NAM tonight.  Primary shortwave over NYS and the second shortwave is over KY.  If these two phase or are able to merge then the arctic shortwave will be able to bring cold air over the Gulf Stream and allow an explosive cyclogenesis to occur.  However I give this a mere .5% chance at happening.  However I give a merge or phase about 30% chance at happening. 

Simply put these two images show the evolution of the long wave trough and a few stout shortwaves within the flow.  If the second shortwave which is the cold air source can catch up to the primary Pacific jet shortwave then we get a snowstorm as the cold air phases with the moisture source.  So I give a snowstorm about a 25% chance at happening if the cold air can catch up with the second low, but this is very small chance.  A one in four chance is pretty low.  However a few flakes in western SNE could happen while ME and New Brunswick, Canada sees another full fledged snowstorm while Nova Scotia is in another rainstorm.  We should see what the next 48 hours bring,  I will continue to update everyone with this system according to the latest model runs in this thread.  So please stay tuned, there could be a few surprises. 

post-5993-0-35769700-1450236204_thumb.gi

post-5993-0-26014600-1450236549_thumb.gi

There really isn't any room or window for any type of energy transfer for secondary development off the coast.  The cold air that does filter in happens behind the passage of the cold front.  The main s/w which moves to our north/west is pretty damn strong and is associated with some pretty strong dynamics...quite impressive actually.  The NAM shows a 130+ knot 500mb jet (that's freaking insane and about as strong as you'll see at 500mb) which develops as the MLJ max begins to round the base of the trough.  This will work to allow for some weakening of the system to take place as occlusion begins to occur and this will work to slow down the eastward progression of the cold front.  Just not the pattern to get a snowstorm out of  

Archived