joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTV.

16JAN16B.jpg

Thanks for the map update, BTV NWS Facebook Page version is below as well, and I’ve also added the advisories map.  Winter Weather Advisories are up in Southern Vermont and off to the east in New Hampshire:

16JAN16A.jpg

16JAN16C.jpg

There was barely any snow down as of 8:00 A.M., but as of 8:30 it had already reached an inch, so it really came on there for that period.  The BTV NWS forecast here is calling for less than an inch of accumulation, so it’s ahead of that already.

There was barely any snow down as of 8:00 A.M., but as of 8:30 it had already reached an inch, so it really came on there for that period.  The BTV NWS forecast here is calling for less than an inch of accumulation, so it’s ahead of that already.

Nice 2"/hr rate...the J.Spin localized difference right there.  Definitely didn't get that high here, maybe an inch per hour at the mountain.

Just rain after some slushy drops this morning and a little sleet and mid 30's here today.

As Powder pointed out it looks like tomorrow night could produce something reasonable with 2-4 inches here in the CPV and higher totals in the Greens.

Really? Raining like a couple miles away from here on the other side of the Notch?

yeah. only saw rain this morning at Smuggs village. Looked better up high early, then cleared up a bit- so probably drizzle up Morse Mountain, maybe stayed all snow over at the main ski area.

Definitely elevational dependent today. Had 2" at 1,500ft all pasted to the trees and winter wonder-land look, and came home to 0.7" of very wet soggy snow at 750ft.

Makes sense as it was 31-32F up at 1,500ft while snowing steadily and sticking nicely...MVL all morning was 34F -SN (though vis was under a mile at times) so steady enough to accumulate some but at 34F it's really gotta come down hard for more than an inch.

Definitely elevational dependent today. Had 2" at 1,500ft all pasted to the trees and winter wonder-land look, and came home to 0.7" of very wet soggy snow at 750ft.

Hopefully this stuff got some moisture into the fluff that fell the other night and helps bond to some of that pretty nasty glare ice around. Tall order.

Hopefully this stuff got some moisture into the fluff that fell the other night and helps bond to some of that pretty nasty glare ice around. Tall order.

Yeah it was the right kind of snow. Funny we got 2-3" of dense stuff on the mountain that I'm sure had the same moisture amount, if not more, than the 7.5" that fell Tuesday night. :lol:.

The holiday weekend crowds are doing a number on the trails and they are really good at finding that ice layer. By far the busiest day of the season up there.

Yeah it was the right kind of snow. Funny we got 2-3" of dense stuff on the mountain that I'm sure had the same moisture amount, if not more, than the 7.5" that fell Tuesday night. .

The holiday weekend crowds are doing a number on the trails and they are really good at finding that ice layer. By far the busiest day of the season up there.

SR looks packed judging by the cam.

everywhere looks packed according to the weekend on the calendar- though I noticed fewer condos were occupied last night than in years past where I was staying at Smuggs for the week.

On another note, MRG opened the single today- so that was a bit of a surprise.  Moving closer to mid-season conditions, albeit slowly.  The woods still have a ways to go before it's game on.

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.09” L.E.

After the initial burst of snow with large flakes this morning that put down a quick inch, subsequent accumulation was slow with much smaller flakes, so 1.1" was the total new snow as of noon.  The temperature did edge above freezing here, but the precipitation has been exclusively snow all day.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.2

Snow Density: 8.2% H2O

Temperature: 35.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

SR looks packed judging by the cam.

It would be concerning if it wasn't packed.  Even Christmas week was pretty packed and that was after the worst December on record. 

Three times per year you can bet will be a mad-house at every ski area... December 27-31 (25th is Xmas, 26th is travel day, world shows up on the 27th)...MLK weekend (crest of the wave hits on Sunday)...President's Weekend and Week (Sat/Sun/Mon are real busy, Tue/Wed/Thur a little less, then the following Fri/Sat are back to insane). 

Those periods are usually paid in full in advance with no refunds for hotels and lodges, so its pretty much guaranteed that people will be there regardless.

Snow ended early this afternoon with about  2 1/2 inches.   Temperature during the precip was 29 rising to about 31.5F so it was not the real beautiful snowfall that I was hoping for.  Still just after the snow ended I took the drone up for a quick spin.  Multiple cloud layers.  Only flew to about 400 feet above the house. still a pretty flight above the low clouds.  Newfound Lake remains ice free except for the bay at the base of the lake.

Early this afternoon the snow ended and as the mid deck clouds moved east the sun came out.  I made this time lapse.  Really interesting after the sun breaks through. So much happening at once.  Watch the video and about 1/3 in the sun comes out and everything starts happening. I'm in and out of the low clouds.  Skip the end as I get socked in by clouds again.

https://video.nest.com/clip/3ad9fc33aa024c628f2ac05a8a5cb39c.mp4

Posted this in the obs thread, but figured I'd do so here too since extreme S VT does qualify as NNE (well, sort of  ;) ). Anyway, I have a dashcam and recorded my descent from 2,500 feet in Searsburg, VT to North Adams, MA around 650 feet. There was probably around 2.5"-3" of new snow in the 2K-2.5K zone and practically nothing in North Adams with bare ground.

Even I had a slushy 1/4" here, which goes to show how much of a snow pit North Adams really is. My route is along VT 8 and part of VT 100 into MA through Heartwellville and past the location of the old Dutch Hill ski area (on the left when I mention it) before descending to Stamford, Clarksburg, MA and eventually North Adams. Dashcams do a good job at documenting local variations in snowfall and weather.

Map of route:

post-48-0-58744000-1452994440_thumb.png

Posted this in the obs thread, but figured I'd do so here too since extreme S VT does qualify as NNE (well, sort of  ;) ). Anyway, I have a dashcam and recorded my descent from 2,500 feet in Searsburg, VT to North Adams, MA around 650 feet. There was probably around 2.5"-3" of new snow in the 2K-2.5K zone and practically nothing in North Adams with bare ground.

Even I had a slushy 1/4" here, which goes to show how much of a snow pit North Adams really is. My route is along VT 8 and part of VT 100 into MA through Heartwellville and past the location of the old Dutch Hill ski area (on the left when I mention it) before descending to Stamford, Clarksburg, MA and eventually North Adams. Dashcams do a good job at documenting local variations in snowfall and weather.

Map of route:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-01-16 at 8.10.14 PM.png

This is extra neat when you set youtube to play back at 2x speed.  

Archived