• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

That snow pattern has a 02-03 vibe to it, where the eastern portions of the subforum won out while Chicago and S WI got the shaft. I wouldn't put much stake in it at all, the only key take away is that there is a large system in that period that will affect the subforum, in what capacity remains to be seen. 

AO and NAO are both neutral on the rise right now.   Looks like they both spike fairly positive which seems to coincide with an upcoming mini-torch...   then around that first week in FEB, they head back down and that storm is around the time they hit neutral again, heading negative.

Since at that time the trend is down vs. up, it may mean the storm favors more northern areas.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had it pretty bad over in our neck of the woods too. Aside from March 25th 2013, when we received 11" of snowfall, our last true "big dog" was probably February 13th 2007.

January 5th 2014, "polar vortex blizzard" came close, but I think we only received 8" from that, it was the wind that was so impressive with that system, and of course the mother load of Arctic air that followed.

Things look mild in the extended that's for sure.

Close to a foot in Toledo from that storm but the wind and cold is what will always be remembered. I'll never forget it being -17 walking the dog down the street. Coldest weather I have ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close to a foot in Toledo from that storm but the wind and cold is what will always be remembered. I'll never forget it being -17 walking the dog down the street. Coldest weather I have ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was another heartbreaker for us.

by the way, euro tries to do it again to DC day 6 and 7.    Probably because it's WAY north with the day 5 clipper we were tracking thru the lakes and is now well up into Canada.

If he moved to Chardon that'd be ok, they get enough lake effect. Cleveland proper is only slightly better than the rest of the bigger Great Lakes cities for a lot of snow.

CLE's 68" per year average can best be summarized as perpetual 1" snowfalls with handfulls of 3-5" events and if you're lucky, every few years you can throw an 8" storm in.

first off, moving somewhere for snow seems insane

but if you're going to do that, why not the high sierra or park city?

Big difference.

No work in those places. Park city is warm at base level anyhow.

At my age, I need to live where the work is at. Weather would factor into a future move though.

If I got a job offer in Atlanta and another in Traverse City, for the same pay. I'd take the TC job over Atlanta in a heartbeat.

Should I have chosen Buffalo or Grand Rapids instead?

Or maybe I should have just been moved to the East Coast since they have been getting megablizzards in the past few years.  I move to a snowbelt city, and DC is now slated for 3 feet.  

The east coast definitely gets the big storms, but spends the majority of the winter looking like this:

Furman-Winter-2011-Dead-grass-WEB.jpg

Hell yeah.  Lock this run in.  I came to this city because I want to see big snows.  I want to be buried in white.  

Are you on the east side of the City at least?

You would do pretty good in a NW/NNW flow. Personally I would have chosen Grand Rapids or the south side of Buffalo. 

Syracuse does really well with LES in a WNW flow.

Big difference.

No work in those places. Park city is warm at base level anyhow.

At my age, I need to live where the work is at. Weather would factor into a future move though.

If I got a job offer in Atlanta and another in Traverse City, for the same pay. I'd take the TC job over Atlanta in a heartbeat.

Weather had a factor in my career move as well, not the biggest piece but it certainly was a consideration.  That being said I do not picture Cleveland as a major Snowbelt player in any stretch of the imagination. Don't even know what they average a year ~50"?

Weather had a factor in my career move as well, not the biggest piece but it certainly was a consideration.  That being said I do not picture Cleveland as a major Snowbelt player in any stretch of the imagination. Don't even know what they average a year ~50"?

There is a HUGE difference between the SW side of town and NE side of town.

I noticed Trent moved to the SW side and was kind of surprised. I guess there are many other factors, who am I to question it.

That map shows a general idea of snow averages, but it's not perfect. The eastern side of the upper peninsula between Munising and Paradise (inland), is easily over 150 inches per year.

Yeah I was just looking at Bo's area and thinking that's too low. That whole northwest section of Marquette County should be 150"+

The map is good for showing two areas in comparison, but the numbers are way low.

Your area probably averages 55-60 inches. Howell is about 52-55 inches. DTW is about 42?

I think DTW averages around 45-47". 1930's thru the 1950's really did a number on that average but yea I guess it's 42.

That snow pattern has a 02-03 vibe to it, where the eastern portions of the subforum won out while Chicago and S WI got the shaft. I wouldn't put much stake in it at all, the only key take away is that there is a large system in that period that will affect the subforum, in what capacity remains to be seen.

After looking things over, pretty confident that we'll be heading into a more favorable pattern for significant storm(s) for more of the subforum near the end of the month and into February. Really all you can ask for...tracks and rain/snow lines to be determined.

first off, moving somewhere for snow seems insane

but if you're going to do that, why not the high sierra or park city?

In contrast, it seems "insane" to me for people to move to Phoenix or Florida to have 1 or 2 seasons and live in heat for much of the year. Many people move somewhere for certain weather/climate conditions.

Archived