joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Observation Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this afternoon's 100% chance gives us as much as this morning's 100% did, we're going to be shut out. 0.00" so far today. The expected amount has also been cut in half.

We had about an inch here in the Knightdale area, I guess the band of storms this morning missed to the north?

We had about an inch here in the Knightdale area, I guess the band of storms this morning missed to the north?

Yes - that band this morning barely crossed the Wake - Joco boundary. 4:30 this afternoon, finally getting an anemic sprinkle, and anything with intensity is now forming to the South and Southwest of here. We may not even make it to the tenth part of the tenth to a quarter, based on current radar.

Pretty crazy when you go from having a heat index one day (79), and a wind chill (51) less than 24 hours later.

My crazy was at an ASU home football game.  Can't remember the year but it was in the mid-late-sixties. Game start, sunny warm mid-sixties.  End of first quarter, nasty dark clouds moving in over Rich mountain.  Mid second quarter, heavy rain, wind, lightning, rapidly falling temps already into the upper forties.  Beginning of third quarter, sleet and wind, temps in upper thirties. Early fourth quarter, sleet turning to snow, wind ripping. Back and forth several times before a heavy thump of sideways snow turned the astroturf white before the end of the game.  Pretty much a sample of all the NC winter possibilities in about two hours.

My crazy was at an ASU home football game.  Can't remember the year but it was in the mid-late-sixties. Game start, sunny warm mid-sixties.  End of first quarter, nasty dark clouds moving in over Rich mountain.  Mid second quarter, heavy rain, wind, lightning, rapidly falling temps already into the upper forties.  Beginning of third quarter, sleet and wind, temps in upper thirties. Early fourth quarter, sleet turning to snow, wind ripping. Back and forth several times before a heavy thump of sideways snow turned the astroturf white before the end of the game.  Pretty much a sample of all the NC winter possibilities in about two hours.

That's a pretty cool experience!

Yeah, you've been luckier than me the last few years...I'm only just now switching over since mid summer.  I've gotten so used to average events being .2, or .3, and for years and years, and now they nearly are all an inch or more.  I'll never forget that snow train you got all afternoon, while I was seeing sun, lol.  I still haven't quite forgiven you for that :)  For so long I've just been trying to eek out more than one or two tenths, particularly in winter, and suddenly every time it rains it's an inch... or at least half an inch, and usually way more than an inch.  Now if this will just translate into winter.

I'm fascinated by what's causing this reversal, because it has to be on a minute level to switch the tracking less than 50 miles, and the orientation of the fronts when they pass.  For so long the fronts would drape from a decided ne to sw bent leaving me out of the precip until the event was nearly over, while the Ala/Ga border up thru Atlanta was getting trained on.... and now the line up has moved east enough to get me time after time, and I'm in the event the whole time, and not just a few hours at the end.

Nice link, by the way...thanks for that!  Tony

yea well about the snow..i went so many years without ever seeing a flake that i thought snow was a myth invented by weenies and conspiracy theorists lol. I fully expect another decade long drought to start anytime now, probably this year :arrowhead:

Whatever the cause of the reversal it's still in full force.  It's so wet out there now that it's like walking around on a wet sponge and Standing or running water everywhere.  I've had another 2.10 inches since friday...and it looks like totals are going to be much higher than earlier expected through tomorrow. The nam sort of hinted at it first and now several models are showing another multi inch event..the 12z euro just came in showing another 2 to 3 inches and the canadian showing around 4 inches...absolutely unbelievable. In fact, ffc issued yet another flood watch for another 2 to 4 inches.

This has certainly been a hell of a run of cloudy and wet weather for many weeks now, made more impressive by the fact it's been happening during the fall.  I've almost forgotten what the sun looks like.

yea well about the snow..i went so many years without ever seeing a flake that i thought snow was a myth invented by weenies and conspiracy theorists lol. I fully expect another decade long drought to start anytime now, probably this year :arrowhead:

Whatever the cause of the reversal it's still in full force.  It's so wet out there now that it's like walking around on a wet sponge and Standing or running water everywhere.  I've had another 2.10 inches since friday...and it looks like totals are going to be much higher than earlier expected through tomorrow. The nam sort of hinted at it first and now several models are showing another multi inch event..the 12z euro just came in showing another 2 to 3 inches and the canadian showing around 4 inches...absolutely unbelievable. In fact, ffc issued yet another flood watch for another 2 to 4 inches.

This has certainly been a hell of a run of cloudy and wet weather for many weeks now, made more impressive by the fact it's been happening during the fall.  I've almost forgotten what the sun looks like.

Yep, I'm not complaining :)  I love wet, cold weather, so I hope it continues all winter.  I'm up to 1.6 for the day, 7.4 for the week, and still training over me.  I look north and see the exact opposite of all these past years.  The train is over me, the dregs over Atl and a bit northward, and Tenn is dry.  Something has change in a micro way from past long term storm tracks, and tilts.   All  of this would have been drowning Atl northwards and I'd be getting tenths as far back as 99.  I like that the worm has turned, and hope it stays turned.  I think my mosquito infestation is due to the ground having been wet continually since mid summer.  I'm talking endless damp for months.  If this translates into winter, with some blocking, I might finally get the mid Ga zinger I've not seen since the 80's :)  My fingers are crossed.  I'm happy you are on the train also, as you have had a bunch of lean years too.   Tony

That's a pretty cool experience!

Actually it was a warm experience, followed by the above mentioned cool experience, followed by a cold experience. Damn that Boone wind bites.  lol

One night I was walking west through town. I smoked in those days. When I stepped into my apartment and pulled the cig out of my mouth, the tobacco had burned out of the paper, but the paper, with several burned holes in it, was still the full length of the unburned cigarette.  Now that was a cold wind. I'd never seen that before or since.

Archived