• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

Weeklies look very similar to the end of the Euro ensembles. Split flow look with troughing in the SW US and some zonal flow into NW Canada with slight ridging. Not a Pacific firehose..but not the most wintry for the northeast. The polar vortex probably needs to lift away from AK to help bring cross polar flow. Could be a great pattern for western and especially southwest US.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it cut back to our SW and is dry thru late tomorrow night. It went twds fairly dry Euro. I have a feeling convection going to rob moisture transport. .10-.25 here is my best guess

All the changes are at the noise level and slight re-positioning of banding. 

It didn't trend any way.

NEW

OLD

Weeklies look very similar to the end of the Euro ensembles. Split flow look with troughing in the SW US and some zonal flow into NW Canada with slight ridging. Not a Pacific firehose..but not the most wintry for the northeast. The polar vortex probably needs to lift away from AK to help bring cross polar flow. Could be a great pattern for western and especially southwest US.

Good for my own greedy purposes....I want to see the snowpack build in SW Colorado for my ski trip in a couple months. Awesome pattern for it.

Problem is if the western ski areas have a great season.. The Eastern resorts generally don't.,Have there been any years where both east and west resorts had bonanza seasons? Hopefully this is just an early thing and it flips around

2010-2011, 2007-2008, 1992-1993 are a few off the top of my head where both east and west had blockbuster seasons. I'm sure there are more.

Problem is if the western ski areas have a great season.. The Eastern resorts generally don't.,Have there been any years where both east and west resorts had bonanza seasons? Hopefully this is just an early thing and it flips around

Nah, 2010-2011 was a blockbuster winter for both east and west.  2007-2008 was as well.  I'll have to look it up a little more, but it does happen quite a bit.  Its not an all or nothing type thing.  Both areas often have average seasons too...it may not be blockbuster in both spots, but its not horrible either.  That's what happens the most.  Its not one gets absolutely crushed and the other has futility records.  Those happen, but there are a ton of years when both areas are just averagely solid.

Its also hard to quantify because the western U.S. is massive relative to what you are thinking of as "eastern resorts" (VT/NH/western ME)....think from Montana to Taos, New Mexico.  Most years there are areas in the west that get crushed and yet areas in the west that are very sub-par (think Tahoe vs. Colorado last winter).  Colorado has had a couple good winters in a row, while Sierra have had some of their worst winters on record. 

Personally I think there's some benefit to the west getting hammered...it means lots of moisture in the flow and usually a fairly active storm track.  Now that energy may or may not benefit us, but it usually means there's opportunities as its a stormy pattern, especially in the southern stream.

If the west is getting shut-out, it usually means we are almost solely relying on the northern stream sending us clippers and Miller B's (which also isn't a bad thing)...but that can run dry too.  Getting a good moisture flow coming ashore out west will give us chances down the road. 

Personally I think there's some benefit to the west getting hammered...it means lots of moisture in the flow and usually a fairly active storm track. Now that energy may or may not benefit us, but it usually means there's opportunities as its a stormy pattern, especially in the southern stream.

If the west is getting shut-out, it usually means we are almost solely relying on the northern stream sending us clippers and Miller B's (which also isn't a bad thing)...but that can run dry too. Getting a good moisture flow coming ashore out west will give us chances down the road.

just look at the NOHRSC site, good years happen more than bad, climo says so

It's possible the RGEM is too wet and too far NW, but I think models might be underestimating mid level forcing. It wouldn't shock me to see a narrow area have near or greater than .5" in CT where a few models are much drier...it just may not be wide spread.  I just have a hard time buying the dry GFS. It almost reminds me a bit in winter where the convection forces the low to jump too far east. But hey, we'll see I guess.

It's possible the RGEM is too wet and too far NW, but I think models might be underestimating mid level forcing. It wouldn't shock me to see a narrow area have near or greater than .5" in CT where a few models are much drier...it just may not be wide spread. I just have a hard time buying the dry GFS. It almost reminds me a bit in winter where the convection forces the low to jump too far east. But hey, we'll see I guess.

Congrats on limbs down tonight. 45-50 gusts . Enjoy

Looks similar for you.

Yeah the Euro is very wet late tonight - almost around 12z tomorrow morning.

Some of the models had a good slug of rain moving in this afternoon... it appears that that is not going to happen even though the RGEM/SREF keep insisting on it. Models have done poorly overall with this system. 

Yeah the Euro is very wet late tonight - almost around 12z tomorrow morning.

Some of the models had a good slug of rain moving in this afternoon... it appears that that is not going to happen even though the RGEM/SREF keep insisting on it. Models have done poorly overall with this system.

That Aftn stuff may struggle past south coast. I think general light to at times moderate rain develops later tonight as the better dynamics swing in. I just don't buy the gfs, but I think RGEM is too wet as well.

That Aftn stuff may struggle past south coast. I think general light to at times moderate rain develops later tonight as the better dynamics swing in. I just don't buy the gfs, but I think RGEM is too wet as well.

RGEM is clearly out to lunch even as of 12z. Doesn't have that big blob of convection moving offshore like all the other models have.

RGEM is clearly out to lunch even as of 12z. Doesn't have that big blob of convection moving offshore like all the other models have.

Yeah and the GFS is clueless near NJ. Euro too for that matter. RGEM at least doesn't have a mystery blob well SE like the globals. Kind of what you expect with this being no a clear cut nor'easter with strong baroclinicity, but no blob of convection just offshore either. Model mayhem.  I'm going with my gut thinking GFS is way too dry, but if I am wrong..at least I know why.

EC ensembles LR bring back the Aleutian low much more....with a split flow +PNA out west. Out in clown range at the end of its run, but that is the type of look we will be looking for in winter. Of course, if a -NAO can happen, then all the better...but it doesn't really show that part.

EC ensembles LR bring back the Aleutian low much more....with a split flow +PNA out west. Out in clown range at the end of its run, but that is the type of look we will be looking for in winter. Of course, if a -NAO can happen, then all the better...but it doesn't really show that part.

Yeah a bit better. It at least allows for colder air into the Plains and not a firehose look.

Archived