SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, the GFS shows some potential, or at least the 6z and 12z runs did yesterday, haven't checked today's gonna go do that now. But Lucky for us we have the height advantage over almost everyone here lol.

Yeah 12z looks pretty good today. I like the looks of some snow coming in Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Maybe an inch at the highest elevations. Maybe more. But just a chance is good for me.

We'll if the GFS is onto something and that 2 contoured closed low is a reality and not a GFS pipe dream, I would bet the farm it trends alot stronger and you get a 3 to 4 closed off as we get closer. Thats happened several times this fall with these ULL. So keep that in mind, but again its 7 days away and the GFS .

Yeah will have to be looked at to see how strong and how much cold air is being made with the low.

Radar estimates show over 6" of rain has fallen in the Plott Balsams from this latest storm which is particularly impressive as the radar estimates are always low for that region due to radar blockage.  This time of the year, the upslope component tends to be out of the SW which really nails the Jackson/Hayward county line areas that are above 5000 feet.

Re:Winter weather....well the CFS suggests about one chance of snow for the entire month of December for the mountains. Here in Michigan, the traditional opening of the snowmobile trails was yesterday.  Other than the Western U.P., the ground is bare with very dim prospects going forward...El Nino has reared its ugly head.

Radar estimates show over 6" of rain has fallen in the Plott Balsams from this latest storm which is particularly impressive as the radar estimates are always low for that region due to radar blockage. This time of the year, the upslope component tends to be out of the SW which really nails the Jackson/Hayward county line areas that are above 5000 feet.

Re:Winter weather....well the CFS suggests about one chance of snow for the entire month of December for the mountains. Here in Michigan, the traditional opening of the snowmobile trails was yesterday. Other than the Western U.P., the ground is bare with very dim prospects going forward...El Nino has reared its ugly head.

Yeah still raining moderately this morning. Seems like it has rained non stop since Monday. Yeah we have received around 4 inches of rainfall in this three day period. Yeah some snow in the air would be nice.

Fun Fact looking at some history stuff this morning. The last time boone, NC had a December with hardly any snow was 2006. And overall, that whole winter was horrible for snow lovers. Now granted that was just that one town.

Lol not a fun fact. A good fact is the nws has issued a hazardous weather statement for the boarder countries for up to a half inch of snow possible by tomorrow morning.

Rough for business

Beech Mountain Ski Resort

Due to unseasonable weather, Beech Mountain Resort will suspend operations until Friday, December 11th. On Friday, the resort will begin night skiing, operating from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m..

Please check back for updates regarding the opening of tubing and ice skating.

Rough for business

Beech Mountain Ski Resort

Due to unseasonable weather, Beech Mountain Resort will suspend operations until Friday, December 11th. On Friday, the resort will begin night skiing, operating from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m..

Please check back for updates regarding the opening of tubing and ice skating.

Yeah this is very unusual for this season. We usually have some natural snow by this time if the year and I see no chance in the next 2 weeks. We are going to have to have a big January through March to recover which we can but things are just crap right now.

Yeah this is very unusual for this season. We usually have some natural snow by this time if the year and I see no chance in the next 2 weeks. We are going to have to have a big January through March to recover which we can but things are just crap right now.

Even last year, though it wasn't very snowy, there was enough cold air to pull out an amazing season on the slopes, best in years. This year, can't even get the cold. Just speaking for the Ski slopes when I say this, but the weather HAS to change. otherwise, this season it won't be open 50% of the time. 

Even last year, though it wasn't very snowy, there was enough cold air to pull out an amazing season on the slopes, best in years. This year, can't even get the cold. Just speaking for the Ski slopes when I say this, but the weather HAS to change. otherwise, this season it won't be open 50% of the time.

Yep you are right. So far an awful start to the season. We need cold air and I see non at all.

Yep you are right. So far an awful start to the season. We need cold air and I see non at all.

Maybe we can just get atleast to back to seasonal normal after this weekend. That would give them plenty of nights to catch up enough and salvage the Hollidays. The next few days in LR on the models should start showing some posotive signs, even if its 10-15 days off. Already seeing it on the euro OP. hopefully they want be hiccups eitheir.

Maybe we can just get atleast to back to seasonal normal after this weekend. That would give them plenty of nights to catch up enough and salvage the Hollidays. The next few days in LR on the models should start showing some posotive signs, even if its 10-15 days off. Already seeing it on the euro OP. hopefully they want be hiccups eitheir.

Yeah the nights here have not been bad at all in Haywood. Our local ski resort has been making lots of snow overnight this past week. We have constantly had lows range from 18 degrees to 24 degrees every night for about a week. Not bad at all currently. Hopefully things change down the road we really need the PV to weaken.

Yeah the nights here have not been bad at all in Haywood. Our local ski resort has been making lots of snow overnight this past week. We have constantly had lows range from 18 degrees to 24 degrees every night for about a week. Not bad at all currently. Hopefully things change down the road we really need the PV to weaken.

This isn't necessarily the case in the northern mountains. I haven't been below freezing in several days. For example, the top of Sugar and Beech Mtns this morning are in the low 40's while the valleys are in the 20's. Even Wolf Laurel is near 40. That's been the case all fall. No snowmaking with these kind of temps. Maybe inversion plays a much bigger role up here. 

Which Ski Resort are you talking about? App Ski is basically closed at the moment. Sugar is running on 4 slopes only. 

This isn't necessarily the case in the northern mountains. I haven't been below freezing in several days. For example, the top of Sugar and Beech Mtns this morning are in the low 40's while the valleys are in the 20's. Even Wolf Laurel is near 40. That's been the case all fall. No snowmaking with these kind of temps. Maybe inversion plays a much bigger role up here. 

Glanced again at the latest CFS this month(I suggest don't do it!); still shows no love for the mountains for the next month besides some light NW flow events. The storm tracks seems to be headed up towards the upper Midwest...nothing moving up the coast. At various times recently, it appears that a nice change in the weather pattern is only a couple of weeks away only to disappear again as the time draws closer.  Got to think that the models really aren't handling such an anomalous weather pattern very well so I suspect things might turn for the better rather quickly on short notice. There are some indications that the polar vortex is starting to weaken so at least the cold air should show up waiting for an el nino enhanced storm to come along. 

Wow that is a big difference. Even this morning we had a low of 25 degrees. We have had cold temps at night for a solid week.

Archived