• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

I'm sorry the NC fall foliage disappointed some. Looks like the Blue Ridge was great; and, Linville was gorgeous a couple weeks ago. Understand wind and rain, and perhaps early summer heat, caused a poor lead-up for lower elevations. Let your heart not be troubled though.

If you can do a road trip, the Tennessee side might be good this weekend. I'm talking about 2,500 FT or so. Our Cumberland Plateau and gulfs (overlooks) should be pretty. A little closer the Cherokee National Forest should be good in the 2-3K zone. Above 3,500 FT will be past peak this side too. Forecast is based on the Tennessee Side of the Cherohala Skyway dazzling last weekend, and may do so again in the 2-3.5K zone. See my pix in Banter, Tennessee Valley sub-forum. Only issue might be clouds. Some say the more even light makes better pictures on the trail. However mountain pics tend to be less brilliant, unless filtered or enhanced.

I will be back on your side plenty this winter. Sugar has a high-speed lift to go with that new run. Nino might also help our friends in southwest NC like Catalooche et all. Always something to look forward to, so keep hope alive! :ski:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry the NC fall foliage disappointed some. Looks like the Blue Ridge was great; and, Linville was gorgeous a couple weeks ago. Understand wind and rain, and perhaps early summer heat, caused a poor lead-up for lower elevations. Let your heart not be troubled though.

If you can do a road trip, the Tennessee side might be good this weekend. I'm talking about 2,500 FT or so. Our Cumberland Plateau and gulfs (overlooks) should be pretty. A little closer the Cherokee National Forest should be good in the 2-3K zone. Above 3,500 FT will be past peak this side too. Forecast is based on the Tennessee Side of the Cherohala Skyway dazzling last weekend, and may do so again in the 2-3.5K zone. See my pix in Banter, Tennessee Valley sub-forum. Only issue might be clouds. Some say the more even light makes better pictures on the trail. However mountain pics tend to be less brilliant, unless filtered or enhanced.

I will be back on your side plenty this winter. Sugar has a high-speed lift to go with that new run. Nino might also help our friends in southwest NC like Catalooche et all. Always something to look forward to, so keep hope alive! :ski:

That's what I've been hearing as well. My friends and I are thinking about hitting up NC/TN border this weekend for more fall foliage sightings. 

Some here in the valley need to give it a few days before giving up on seeing good fall color. We usually don't peak until late October and I am starting to see some really pretty undertones beginning to show.

I know Asheville is still quite a way from peak, but leaves that did turn over early on didn't look great. Hopefully rest of trees in the city make up for it in next two weeks, though!

First chance for higher mountain snow flakes looks to be coming on Monday.  this one could have Mikes mountain in play.  Looks like warm air advection could eventually win out but above 5000' I bet we see some flakes before a switchover happens.  GFS has surface temps at 38 in the valley just before the precip moves in, while they Euro keeps around 42 degrees.  Not a good early setup for the valleys, but it will be neat to see if anyone with elevation gets a flake or two.

First chance for higher mountain snow flakes looks to be coming on Monday. this one could have Mikes mountain in play. Looks like warm air advection could eventually win out but above 5000' I bet we see some flakes before a switchover happens. GFS has surface temps at 38 in the valley just before the precip moves in, while they Euro keeps around 42 degrees. Not a good early setup for the valleys, but it will be neat to see if anyone with elevation gets a flake or two.

Thanks ward. Have not even been paying that close to this recently. Have been doing some camping recently in the Pisgah national forest near Big East Fork.

First chance for higher mountain snow flakes looks to be coming on Monday.  this one could have Mikes mountain in play.  Looks like warm air advection could eventually win out but above 5000' I bet we see some flakes before a switchover happens.  GFS has surface temps at 38 in the valley just before the precip moves in, while they Euro keeps around 42 degrees.  Not a good early setup for the valleys, but it will be neat to see if anyone with elevation gets a flake or two.

I decided to look as far as possible into the crystal ball and I don't see I definite snow signal in the higher elevations until around December 6th per the fun/entertaining CFS besides a few minor NW flow events before then. Of course, that far out all solutions should be ignored but I have seen several times now on the CFS these strong cold upper level lows with a rather non-standard movement that have strong cold air advection coming in from the SW with decent orographics which would bury the Balsams if they ever actually materialized. 

I decided to look as far as possible into the crystal ball and I don't see I definite snow signal in the higher elevations until around December 6th per the fun/entertaining CFS besides a few minor NW flow events before then. Of course, that far out all solutions should be ignored but I have seen several times now on the CFS these strong cold upper level lows with a rather non-standard movement that have strong cold air advection coming in from the SW with decent orographics which would bury the Balsams if they ever actually materialized.

Well I said chance not definite, so no need to get out the crystal ball.. I havent had a chance to look at upper level sounds but I was just going off of seeing surface temps at KAVL at 37 and then applyed WALR. My sounding on AMWX havent been working recently. Models show this low temp bullseye over the Balsams so above 5500' I believe has a chance to see sleet/freezing rain or a few flakes at the onset. If it doesn't happen I guess I was wrong for saying that there was a chance lol. Hopefully Dec 6th works out for us though, but It might be a bust.

Well I said chance not definite, so no need to get out the crystal ball.. I havent had a chance to look at upper level sounds but I was just going off of seeing surface temps at KAVL at 37 and then applyed WALR. My sounding on AMWX havent been working recently. Models show this low temp bullseye over the Balsams so above 5500' I believe has a chance to see sleet/freezing rain or a few flakes at the onset. If it doesn't happen I guess I was wrong for saying that there was a chance lol. Hopefully Dec 6th works out for us though, but It might be a bust.

Sounding very warm due to WAA so despite the cool surface temps...the freezing level is extremely high.

For all those waiting for snow, most forecasts suggest a rather late start to Winter so some patience is in order.

Finished up my fall time-lapse of WNC today.  Hope you guys enjoy!

Holy cow, the quality of this video is incredible. I can tell you changed a few things from last year's timelapse!

Sadly, I won't have time to put together my timelapse until break from school start in early December. 

Archived