Newest Member
    Toothache
Joaquin/ULL inland flooding threat

BullCityWx

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC

1243 AM EDT SUN OCT 4 2015

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR CHARLESTON AND BERKELEY COUNTIES...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS EXTENDED THE

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF...

CHARLESTON COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...

BERKELEY COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 615 AM EDT

* AT 1229 AM EDT...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REPORTED WATER ENTERING

STRUCTURES IN PORTIONS OF CHARLESTON AND BERKELEY COUNTIES.

EXTREMELY HEAVY RAINFALL CONTINUES TO FALL AND WILL ONLY ACT TO

WORSEN THE ONGOING FLOODING.

THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR CHARLESTON AND BERKELEY

COUNTIES...SPECIFICALLY INCLUDING DOWNTOWN CHARLESTON...THE COLLEGE

PARK AREA...AND MONCKS CORNER. MULTIPLE REPORTS ARE COMING IN OF

WATER ENTERING HOMES AND STRUCTURES WITH NUMEROUS ROADS CLOSED AND

CARS SUBMERGED. STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS IN THIS AREA RANGE

BETWEEN 12 TO 18 INCHES...WITH SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

CURRENT RADAR SHOWS THAT THE MOST INTENSE RAINFALL IS SETTING UP

ACROSS AN AREA FROM AROUND AWENDAW TO MONCKS CORNER. HOURLY RAINFALL

RATES BETWEEN 1 AND 3 INCHES PER HOUR ARE LIKELY...AND AN ADDITIONAL

3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN OF POSSIBLE THROUGH SUNRISE WITH LOCALLY

HIGHER AMOUNTS EXPECTED.

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...

CHARLESTON...NORTH CHARLESTON...MOUNT PLEASANT...GOOSE CREEK...

HANAHAN...MONCKS CORNER...MCCLELLANVILLE AND I-26/I-526

INTERCHANGE.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

INTERCHANGE.

The office using words like catastrophic flash flooding doesn't happen often....wow

No doubt about it.  Things are awful down in Charleston from everything I am hearing from friends down that way. Conditions deteriorating rapidly in Calhoun/S.Orangeburg Counties as well.

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

INTERCHANGE.

The office using words like catastrophic flash flooding doesn't happen often....wow

Problem is, it's going to take some luck for the Charleston area to avoid getting hit really hard over the next 24 hours....really a dire situation there

What an incredible event. The water hose isn't stopping. I've always wondered what rain or even snow totals would look like when a linear band of deep, heavy precipitation stayed on top of an area and flowed in the same linear direction as the orientation of the band. Most of the time, large bands of moisture are N/S oriented and moves West so you don't stay in it very long, however this band is oriented at a WNW/ESE direction with the moisture feed moving at a WNW direction and staying over the same areas.

Now I've seen to have gotten my answer. I hope people in SC/NC stay safe tonight. Just a unique and historic storm. Mother Nature always seems to find a way to give drought stricken areas a way out, in an extreme way(GA in 2009, TX//OK this year, and now NC/SC now).

Flash Flood Warning for Columbia Metro area:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDFLASH FLOOD WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC106 AM EDT SUN OCT 4 2015THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN COLUMBIA HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  NORTHWESTERN ORANGEBURG COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA...  NORTHWESTERN CALHOUN COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA...  CENTRAL RICHLAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA...  LEXINGTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 400 AM EDT* AT 103 AM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A BAND OF HEAVY RAIN WILL  CONTINUE TO MOVE ACROSS THE AREA AND PRODUCE 1 TO 2 INCHES PER  HOUR. THIS ALONG WITH SATURATED GROUND WILL RESULT IN FLASH  FLOODING. SOME ROAD HAVE BEEN REPORTED CLOSED.* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...  COLUMBIA...LEXINGTON...WEST COLUMBIA...CAYCE...IRMO...FOREST  ACRES...SPRINGDALE...ST. ANDREWS...BATESBURG...DENTSVILLE...OAK  GROVE...WOODFIELDS...RED BANK...BATESBURG-LEESVILLE...SOUTH  CONGAREE...PINE RIDGE...GASTON...ARCADIA LAKES...EASTOVER AND FORT  JACKSON.

17.1 inches of rain since Thurs aftn...3 miles ENE of Boone Hall Plantation in Charleston

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC1232 AM EDT SUN OCT 04 20151231 AM     HEAVY RAIN       3 ENE BOONE HALL PLANTA 32.87N  79.77W10/04/2015  M17.10 INCH      CHARLESTON         SC   SOCIAL MEDIA            STORM TOTAL RAINFALL SINCE 2 PM THURSDAY ON ROYAL TROON            CT.

Hi everyone! I am traveling tomorrow afternoon from Wilmington, NC south on hwy 17 to Hilton Head, SC. That said, I was wondering where would likely be the best place to go in the Charleston area to document the worst flooding? I ask because I'm totally unfamiliar with that area. Thanks in advance!

Edit: In other words, which areas are typically more prone to flooding?

Hi everyone! I am traveling tomorrow afternoon from Wilmington, NC south on hwy 17 to Hilton Head, SC. That said, I was wondering where would likely be the best place to go in the Charleston area to document the worst flooding? I ask because I'm totally unfamiliar with that area. Thanks in advance!

LOL, seriously? From the reports that are coming out right now, just drive down there tomorrow and hope you can get on the peninsula. Look up some topo maps of the area as well.

Jesus...

I doubt very seriously you will be allowed into the city.

LOL, seriously? From the reports that are coming out right now, just drive down there tomorrow and hope you can get on the peninsula. Look up some topo maps of the area as well.

Jesus...

Wow...thanks so much for the incredibly thoughtful post! I have already looked up the topography of the area, but it's always better to ask the locals who have experienced previous flooding events. Hence, the purpose for my question.

With the ULL low moving further eastward tomorrow, I anticipate the axis of worst flooding potential to shift slowly up the coastal plain (and areas just inland) of SC through the daylight hours.

Edit: I apologize for derailing the thread from its specific topic. Thanks to those who kindly took time to respond to my question!

SOUTH CAROLINA  

..BERKELEY COUNTY

3 NNE HUGER 14.68 100 AM 10/04 USGS SITE  
5 E GOOSE CREEK 11.26 130 AM 10/04 USGS SITE  

..CHARLESTON COUNTY

3 ENE BOONE HALL PLA 17.10 1231 AM 10/04 SOCIAL MEDIA  
CHARLESTON AIRPORT 14.92 200 AM 10/04 ASOS  
CHARLESTON 13.88 130 AM 10/04 OFFICIAL NWS OBS  
2 NNW GARRIS LANDING 13.83 130 AM 10/04 RAWS 

SOUTH CAROLINA  

..BERKELEY COUNTY  

3 NNE HUGER 14.68 100 AM 10/04 USGS SITE  

5 E GOOSE CREEK 11.26 130 AM 10/04 USGS SITE  

..CHARLESTON COUNTY  

3 ENE BOONE HALL PLA 17.10 1231 AM 10/04 SOCIAL MEDIA  

Insane numbers.  Currently pushing 10" at my weather station 2 NE Saint Matthews in Calhoun County between CAE and CHS.

With the ULL low moving further eastward tomorrow, I anticipate the axis of worst flooding potential to shift slowly up the coastal plain (and areas just inland) of SC through the daylight hours.

Edit: I apologize for derailing the thread from its specific topic. Thanks to those who kindly took time to respond to my question!

I apologize for the snarky post. I'm just concerned about what's going on down there and your post had an ambulance chaser vibe when I read it. Perhaps I should have assumed more good faith on your part.

0208 AM FLASH FLOOD CAINHOY 32.93N 79.83W  
10/04/2015 BERKELEY SC EMERGENCY MNGR  

SWIFT WATER RESCUES WERE UNDERWAY IN THE CAINHOY AREA.  
CARS WERE REPORTED FLOATING IN HIGH WATER.

0208 AM FLASH FLOOD NORTH CHARLESTON 32.85N 79.97W  
10/04/2015 CHARLESTON SC EMERGENCY MNGR  

SWIFT WATER RESCUES WERE UNDERWAY IN THE NORTH  

CHARLESTON AREA.

0208 AM FLASH FLOOD SHADOWMOSS 32.85N 80.08W  

10/04/2015 CHARLESTON SC EMERGENCY MNGR  

SWIFT WATER RESCUES AND EVACUATIONS WERE UNDERWAY IN  

THE SHADOWMOSS AREA.  

I apologize for the snarky post. I'm just concerned about what's going on down there and your post had an ambulance chaser vibe when I read it. Perhaps I should have assumed more good faith on your part.

I completely understand that logic and greatly appreciate this genuinely thoughtful post!

For full disclosure, I have been doing free-lance photo journalism for various news sources dating back to Katrina in 2005. In each event, I make it a priority to spend a minimum of 6 hours (1/2 day) volunteering to help in the aftermath...after spending the first half of the day documenting it. In my humble opinion, it's the very least I can do (out of empathy and respect) for those unfortunate persons whose devastating losses I'm typically documenting.

Ironically, this devastating event is occurring along the route I'm traveling in order to get to Hilton Head, SC, for the one year wedding anniversary of my wife and I.

All that being said, thanks again for your conciliatory post and your genuine concern for those in harms way!

This event reminds me alot of the historic rainfall event Wilmington, NC experienced in late September of 2010.

http://www.weather.gov/ilm/2010-Sep-27to30-heavyrain

That said, this event appears to be far worse in regards to damage in the worst hit areas.

Edit: I pray that there is no loss of life from this event. All the reports of swift water rescues are most disconcerting!

mcd0550.gif

MESOSCALE PRECIPITATION DISCUSSION 0550NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD413 AM EDT SUN OCT 04 2015 AREAS AFFECTED...NORTHEAST GA...SC...SOUTHEAST NC  CONCERNING...HEAVY RAINFALL...FLASH FLOODING LIKELY  VALID 040813Z - 041413Z SUMMARY...HISTORIC RAINFALL EVENT CONTINUES ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHCAROLINA THIS MORNING WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL RATES EXPECTED. WIDESPREAD AND SERIOUS FLASH FLOODING IS LIKELY TO REMAIN APROBLEM THROUGH 10 AM.DISCUSSION...A HUGE MOISTURE PLUME FEEDING INTO THE NORTH SIDE OFTHE CLOSED UPPER LEVEL LOW OVER THE SOUTHEAST U.S. HAS MOVED VERYLITTLE OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS.  TREMENDOUS MID AND UPPERLEVEL DIVERGENCE WITHIN THIS PLUME IS ALLOWING FOR VIGOROUS ASCENTIN AN ENVIRONMENT WITH 1.8 TO 2.3 INCH PW VALUES.  SOME OF THISMOISTURE IS ORIGINATING FROM HURRICANE JOAQUIN.  MUCAPE VALUES OF1000-2000 J/KG NEAR THE SC COAST ARE HELPING TO FURTHER ENHANCERAINFALL RATES.  A COASTAL FRONT NEAR THE SC/NC COAST REMAINSNEARLY STATIONARY AND IS ACTING AS THE FOCUS FOR CONVECTION WITHTHE HIGHEST RAINFALL RATES.  THE AXIS OF HEAVIEST PRECIPITATIONMAY PIVOT TOWARDS SOUTHEAST NORTH CAROLINA BORDER BY MID MORNING.HI RES GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 3-6" ARE POSSIBLEWITHIN THIS REGION OVER THE NEXT SIX HOURS, AND COULD FALL ATRATES OF UP TO THREE INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES.  THESE TYPES OFRAINFALL RATES ARE LIKELY TO CREATE SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS IN URBANAREAS SUCH AS CHARLESTON, GREENVILLE/SPARTANBURG, COLUMBIA, ANDAUGUSTA.  RADAR ESTIMATES HAVE BEEN RUNNING ABOUT 30 TO 50% TOOLOW OVER THIS REGION OWING TO EFFICIENT RAINFALL PRODUCTION IN AHIGH PW ENVIRONMENT.  THE GROUND IS COMPLETELY SATURATED ACROSSNORTHEAST GA AND MOST OF SC WHERE RAINFALL OVERNIGHT HAS BEENPERSISTENT.  CONSIDERING THE RAINFALL EXPECTED, COMBINED WITH WHATHAS ALREADY FALLEN, MAJOR TO LOCALIZED CATASTROPHIC FLASH FLOODINGALONG WITH POSSIBLE LANDSLIDES AND MUDSLIDES IN THE HIGHERELEVATIONS OF SC AND GA REMAIN AN ONGOING CONCERN.

Wow...thanks so much for the incredibly thoughtful post! I have already looked up the topography of the area, but it's always better to ask the locals who have experienced previous flooding events. Hence, the purpose for my question.

Turn on the weather channel.  Go read their local news.  Most of the roads are closed.  They deliberately closed the roads onto the peninsula because they didn't want to waste precious resources rescuing tourists.  Stay home.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED CIVIL EMERGENCY
MESSAGE...
CORRECTED SOUTH CAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA
SC 715 AM EDT SUN OCT 4 2015

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE SOUTH
CAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA.

SOUTH CAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HAS ISSUED A CIVIL EMERGENCY
MESSAGE. SOUTH CAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT IS ASKING PEOPLE TO
SAFELY REMAIN WHERE YOU ARE DUE TO THE SEVERE WEATHER AND FLASH
FLOODING ACROSS THE STATE. CALL 9 1 1 FOR LIFE THREATENING
EMERGENCIES ONLY.

Archived