Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2015 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for the fire weenies

FIRE WEATHER    407 PM CDT    AS ALLUDED TO IN THE LONG TERM DISCUSSION ABOVE...A RAPID WARM UP TO   UNSEASONABLY WARM TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED BY MONDAY. BY MONDAY...WE   WILL BE IN OUR THIRD WEEK OF EXCEPTIONALLY DRY WEATHER AND THE   UPCOMING FREEZE WILL LIKELY RESULT IN MORE VEGETATION DYING AND   DRYING OUT FURTHER OVER THE WEEKEND. STRONG SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS   ARE FORECAST TO DEVELOP WITH SOME MODELS SUGGESTING GUSTS OVER 40   MPH POSSIBLE IN THE AFTERNOON. REALLY NOT EXPECTING ANY SIGNIFICANT   RETURN FLOW OF MOISTURE TO CAUSE DEWPOINTS TO REBOUND MUCH FROM THE   COLD WEATHER THIS WEEKEND...SO RH VALUES COULD DROP BELOW 25   PERCENT...WITH SOME POTENTIAL TO DROP BELOW EVEN 20 PERCENT. STILL   SOME UNCERTAINTY WITH EXACT TEMP/WIND/RH VALUES FOR MONDAY...BUT   PATTERN RECOGNITION ALONG WITH SOME MODELS SUGGESTS THAT FIRE   WEATHER CONDITIONS COULD BECOME FAIRLY EXTREME FOR OUR REGION MONDAY   AFTERNOON.    IZZI  

Would be lying if I said that it hadn't crossed my mind about a way to turn this into a rare GOM tropical remnant snow event.  Looks like the northern system could have some flake potential in the Dakotas, etc.  Really though I just want some activity.

18z GFS kinda tries to do this. The GOM low and a low coming out of the rockies phase to create a big storm centered over S MN. Snow for the Dakotas and rain and wind for most of us.

post-4544-0-91751300-1445036538_thumb.pn

18z GFS is interesting.  Tropical remnant gets absorbed and we wind up with a pretty good system overall with what looks like decent snow on the backside in the northern Plains.  Details don't matter at this point but I like the relative consistency in a broad sense.

for the fire weenies

:lol:

Are there fire weenies? :lol:

I have several friends who are firefighters(both paid and volunteer) who I would classify as fire weenies, but I never thought of calling them that. They are all going to learn their new moniker.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

328 PM EDT FRI OCT 16 2015

...ENHANCED FIRE DANGER THROUGH EARLY THIS EVENING...

THE COMBINATION OF NORTHWEST WINDS GUSTING TO AROUND 25 MPH WITH

RELATIVE HUMIDITIES FROM 20 TO 30 PERCENT WITH THE DRY GROUND

ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA WILL CREATED ENHANCED FIRE DANGER

CONDITIONS THROUGH EARLY THIS EVENING.

WIND GUSTS WILL DIMINISH AROUND OR SHORTLY AFTER SUNSET WITH

RELATIVE HUMIDITIES INCREASING AFTER DARK.

RYAN

18z GFS loop.  Really nice GOM feed.

attachicon.gifgfs.gif

Can't believe I just posted a 10 day GFS loop...  :axe:

Well it is a pretty epic loop. Tropical storm hitting the gulf in almost November and being pulled into our entire sub-forum. Pretty rare if it happens and it does have other model agreement. BTW, how do you get it to loop like that?

Well it is a pretty epic loop. Tropical storm hitting the gulf in almost November and being pulled into our entire sub-forum. Pretty rare if it happens and it does have other model agreement. BTW, how do you get it to loop like that?

I made it myself.  The site gifmaker.me is pretty good

First graupel of the season here, covered the roads and grassy surfaces.

Nice. First frozen precipitation is always notable to me.

Temperature has been sinking like a stone since around 2pm since the dew point crashed in the morning. Shot at first frozen precip here tonight if winds can briefly line up right.

HEdSs6D.png

If my research is right, there has not been a landfalling tropical system in Texas in the month of October during an El Nino.  It's happened 4 times for Louisiana - 1905, 1923, 1977 and 2004, but all 4 of those were during weak El Ninos.  We may be about to see something that has no precedent, at least in the last 150 years give or take.

Using records from Urbana...driest October 1-15 periods:

1934: 0.00"

1908: T

1920: T

1946: T

1956: T

1963: T

2005: 0.02"

1889: 0.05"

1947: 0.05"

2015: 0.06"

1989: 0.08"

1957: 0.12"

1964: 0.12"

1987: 0.13"

1906: 0.15"

1996: 0.16"

1917: 0.20"

1895: 0.21"

1958: 0.22"

1899: 0.24"

Thanks for that Hoosier. Will be interesting to see where we finish at the end of the month, especially if those tropical remnants come into play.

Pretty gorgeous day all around, seen some very light frost on rooftops this morning. Getting downright chilly, only to warm back into the low 70s Monday/Tuesday.

October will probably finish around a +1 departure.

Yeah we're not messing around with a light frost tonight. Already 36°/25° here. Should start seeing the sparkly frost on the grass soon.

28° at BUU now - that location is probably heading for 24-25° tonight along with ARR and RPJ.

Finally got around to posting some pictures from my Washington State trip.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47074-mount-rainier-washington-state/?p=3723417

Down to 38 at DTW, 39 down the road IMBY, first 30's since May 14th. Looks like we may escape a true freeze tonight locally, but tomorrow could be a hard freeze if skies clear enough.

"That's all, folks"

US.png

I wouldn't be shocked if we don't tonight we dropped 6 degrees from 11 to midnight.

Besides the Gulf development, the 00z GFS is showing a system hanging off the east coast.  Big change from the last run but there's been hints of something there on other runs.

I don't even wanna guess about what'll happen on the later frames

attachicon.gifUSA_PRMSL_msl_204.gif

Gulf low ends up not getting picked up on this run.

Archived