joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Talk Winter

Steve

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those squall lines of snow were very impressive on radar. Glad to see they produced.

For a time we warmed a bit above freezing so for a little bit it was mainly graupel (some of the heaviest graupel I've ever seen) before going over to dendrites. In that 15 minutes we may have lost a half inch or inch of snow to the graupel, that's how hard it was coming down. Overall I'm quite satisfied with how it went here. Some 3-4" amounts showing up in east-central OH towards Pittsburgh.

I always make this post each year, the 51st Annual Winter Hike is at Hocking Hills St. Park this Sat. the 16th starting at Old Man's Cave and ending at Ash Cave.  http://www.heartofhocking.com/Winter_Hike_Hocking_Hills.htm

Obviously it's not going to look like Jan two years ago when Ash Cave almost froze to the top for the 1st time since Jan of '78:

post-3410-0-58775200-1392580827_thumb.jp

Ok, that's what a real winter is!

I always make this post each year, the 51st Annual Winter Hike is at Hocking Hills St. Park this Sat. the 16th starting at Old Man's Cave and ending at Ash Cave.

Obviously it's not going to look like Jan two years ago when Ash Cave almost froze to the top for the 1st time since Jan of '78:

Ok, that's what a real winter is!

never done the hocking hills in winter but I've always wanted to.  Some of those paths get damn close to the cliff edges...can't imagine those paths and rickety stairs covered in ice  :yikes: .  

I realize I'm jinxing the hell out of this but next week looks kind of interesting.   Wave on arctic front, Monday/Tuesday which can often model stronger over time....possible clipper soon after ....and then whatever cluster gets together in the southern plains day 8-10.   Maybe this time we will have an arctic high to our north rather than another low pressure system coming first and scouring out the cold.

Ok that's your glass half full for the day.  Best you're gonna get from me.

I realize I'm jinxing the hell out of this but next week looks kind of interesting.   Wave on arctic front, Monday/Tuesday which can often model stronger over time....possible clipper soon after ....and then whatever cluster gets together in the southern plains day 8-10.   Maybe this time we will have an arctic high to our north rather than another low pressure system coming first and scouring out the cold.

And if course gulf coast states gets a foot of snow on Sunday!

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/leads_images/Models/GFS/CON/CP/large/surface/2016011312_CON_GFS_SFC_SLP_THK_PRECIP_WINDS_096.gif \

I realize I'm jinxing the hell out of this but next week looks kind of interesting. Wave on arctic front, Monday/Tuesday which can often model stronger over time....possible clipper soon after ....and then whatever cluster gets together in the southern plains day 8-10. Maybe this time we will have an arctic high to our north rather than another low pressure system coming first and scouring out the cold.

Ok that's your glass half full for the day. Best you're gonna get from me.

I love your glass is half full posts! They get me feeling optimistic again! Speaking of optimism, have u looked at radar today? That precip 2 our northwest in Indy supposed 2 fizzle out? Doesn't look bad right now. Mayb a little surprise for later tonight?

I love your glass is half full posts! They get me feeling optimistic again! Speaking of optimism, have u looked at radar today? That precip 2 our northwest in Indy supposed 2 fizzle out? Doesn't look bad right now. Mayb a little surprise for later tonight?

well euro really winds the 8/9 day storm  and sends it due north into northern MO.  But at least we have the general set up of a cold high to the north.  A direct hit now would be kiss of death anyways.

yea, just looked at radar...maybe a fresh coating before it melts tomorrow lol.

well euro really winds the 8/9 day storm  and sends it due north into northern MO.  But at least we have the general set up of a cold high to the north.  A direct hit now would be kiss of death anyways.

yea, just looked at radar...maybe a fresh coating before it melts tomorrow lol.

Euro is the only one showing this now. 0z GFS went to a flatter solution and has stuck with it at this point. 12z GGEM went to a suppressed storm after previously agreeing with Euro. I think Euro eventually caves.

Euro is the only one showing this now. 0z GFS went to a flatter solution and has stuck with it at this point. 12z GGEM went to a suppressed storm after previously agreeing with Euro. I think Euro eventually caves.

I'll just be happy that it appears to be a 'something' out of the south with HP building in from the north and take my chances with that. 

/\  lol at myself

Since the central Ohio crowd looks down and out on the big one the end of the week, I am officially on board for an over-performing clipper tomorrow! LOL

It appears south too lol. At any rate, I never had any confidence in this one anyways. I've said from he beginning I was predicting one major storm (6"+) sometime between the beginning of and mid February. And that being it for winter. I just simply refused to allow myself to get sucked into following this one outside of 2 days. So with that said, I'm back off. Tty guys when something interesting actually happens lol.

Archived