joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Observation thread.

NRVwxfan.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good steady moderate rain so far.  Nothing too heavy yet, but it does seem to keep getting heavier.  Doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to move anywhere.  Clouds are getting darker off to my west and starting to hear some rumbles so it may be getting a bit stronger.

Well, as soon as I typed that, the bottom dropped out and it's pouring now.  :)

Pretty good steady moderate rain so far.  Nothing too heavy yet, but it does seem to keep getting heavier.  Doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to move anywhere.  Clouds are getting darker off to my west and starting to hear some rumbles so it may be getting a bit stronger.

Well, as soon as I typed that, the bottom dropped out and it's pouring now.  :)

Congrats. :clap:

Congrats. :clap:

Thanks!  Looks like it's going to wring itself out over mby.  Some more developing back west now.  No idea if it will sustain or grow or not, but if it does, it could be raining for a while longer.  It slowed down for a bit, but now it's raining heavy again.  Pretty nice blow up in Cherokee County.

0.51" so far.  This cell has increased my rain totals by 155% for the week!  Amazing that I have to get under these tiny isolated cells to get rain this summer.  Mby def does it the hard way when it comes to rain.

Edit:  I tell you what.  If I was one more mile down the road I would be going nuts right now lol.  This thing is locked into place.  More coming from the west now.

Still nothing here. WRAL's model really missed this one. They had a line of storms coming through at 5:00 this evening and there have not been any storms at all around here.

What was it, like a 50% chance?  About 5% of our area got any rain.  Only got the forecast 90% wrong.  I don't understand why forecasting shower and thunderstorm activity has become so hard.  I have no expectation of anyone being able to pinpoint where a shower/storm will form/move, but all the calls this year for good chances of rain that ends up with most of the area dry are just baffling.

What was it, like a 50% chance?  About 5% of our area got any rain.  Only got the forecast 90% wrong.  I don't understand why forecasting shower and thunderstorm activity has become so hard.  I have no expectation of anyone being able to pinpoint where a shower/storm will form/move, but all the calls this year for good chances of rain that ends up with most of the area dry are just baffling.

I agree. That is what I have been talking about before. I know a 50% chance doesn't mean I am going to see a storm. But so many times this year the forecasts have been 50% or higher for scattered storms, or models show a big line of storms coming through, and no one in the whole area gets anything. It has been like this going back to last year with regards to the storm forecasts. And it wasn't just WRAL that got it wrong. RAH did, too.

SLOW MOVING SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS WILL

CROSS CENTRAL NC THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. IN THE HEAVIEST

DOWNPOURS...TWO TO THREE INCHES OF RAIN WILL FALL IN AN

HOUR..

Did anyone see this yesterday?

What was it, like a 50% chance? About 5% of our area got any rain. Only got the forecast 90% wrong. I don't understand why forecasting shower and thunderstorm activity has become so hard. I have no expectation of anyone being able to pinpoint where a shower/storm will form/move, but all the calls this year for good chances of rain that ends up with most of the area dry are just baffling.

Brick or Shetley, is that you!

1.32" total from last night!  Today was hot and very muggy.  Cut the grass this evening and was drenched with sweat afterwards.  So ready for some 70's and dry air!  Looking forward to being able to be outside for more than 15 minutes without getting disgusting.

This is a bumper year for caterpillars.  They are everywhere right now.  I'm gonna go all wilkes and say this is a sign of a harsh and snowy winter.  The skies should be well rested and healed from this summer too!   :snowing:

Archived