joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Observation thread.

NRVwxfan.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does anyone have an answer as to why the same areas are staying dry in absense of NW flow?  Is it just a case of drought breeding drought?  Obviously all the short term models picked up on it pretty early and had mby and surrounding areas dry.  Is there some reason why in this particular set up it isn't raining here?  Does it have to do with terrain?  Just trying to figure out why everytime we have high rain chances and are supposed to get significant amounts, it never pans out.

0.00" today.

0.20" 3 day total.

Poof!  Like always.  Not a single drop of rain.  Doesn't matter if we have SW flow, cape of a million, or wind shear at 100 kts.  Storms are going to evaporate in the eastern upstate and into NC.

odDu3JO.gif

Will you tell me what

radar app this is?   The rain in and around Atlanta has been relentless this week some areas over 5 inches....Actually sick of it.

Will you tell me what

radar app this is?   The rain in and around Atlanta has been relentless this week some areas over 5 inches....Actually sick of it.

It's from Wunderground.  Send some this way, but take care to package it correctly.  It breaks very easily coming across the border.

Rain that was headed this way from GA once again falling apart entering the upstate.  Looks like I'll get the least amount out of anybody on here once again.  Maybe it will storm on one of our Sunny 0% chance days again lol.

It's from Wunderground.  Send some this way, but take care to package it correctly.  It breaks very easily coming across the border.

Rain that was headed this way from GA once again falling apart entering the upstate.  Looks like I'll get the least amount out of anybody on here once again.  Maybe it will storm on one of our Sunny 0% chance days again lol.

Thanks...I don't know what the issue is in the Upstate, it does seem to just vanish???

Just a county to the South...

Southern parts of the viewing area have been pummeled with heavy rain. A Flash Flood Warning in effect for parts of Cumberland, Hoke, Harnett and Moore counties until 11:45PM. Doppler Radar rainfall estimates are impressive with many 5-6" totals in the reds and purples!

11882387_968625389855034_443320219283209

Yep, same areas get rain over and over while the areas that are dry get nothing.  There has to be another underlying factor to my areas dryness.  Switching from NW to SW doesn't solve anything in this small region.  Almost all my rain this summer is just from lucky isolated storms.  If it weren't for those we would have about 2 or 3 inches of rain this entire summer.

The goods news is I can go jog and have 0% worry of getting caught in a storm.

Congratulations to those getting here, There's still a little time, maybe one more day of chances here. But for me, it's been like this since April 20 or so.  The whole Summer so far, just really nothing, except I got 1.1" from a storm a week or 2 ago on a due north-south trajectory, which is odd.

Last 3 days total in this southwest flow (.12").  It's been either the first or second driest Summer on record at my house, and I've seen some droughts before.  August is usually the turnaround month here, and so far it is wetter than May, June July for sure.

post-38-0-08747100-1440070718_thumb.jpg

1113 AM EDT THU AUG 20 2015

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

SLOW MOVING SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS WILL

CROSS CENTRAL NC THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. IN THE HEAVIEST

DOWNPOURS...TWO TO THREE INCHES OF RAIN WILL FALL IN AN

HOUR...LEADING TO MINOR FLOODING ESPECIALLY OF STREETS AND

UNDERPASSES. AN ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM IS ALSO POSSIBLE WITH

THE PRIMARY SEVERE WEATHER THREAT BEING DAMAGING WIND GUSTS.

1113 AM EDT THU AUG 20 2015THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA..DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.SLOW MOVING SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS WILLCROSS CENTRAL NC THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. IN THE HEAVIESTDOWNPOURS...TWO TO THREE INCHES OF RAIN WILL FALL IN ANHOUR...LEADING TO MINOR FLOODING ESPECIALLY OF STREETS ANDUNDERPASSES. AN ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM IS ALSO POSSIBLE WITHTHE PRIMARY SEVERE WEATHER THREAT BEING DAMAGING WIND GUSTS.

They sound pretty certain about that.

I know they said scattered. Just commenting they sound pretty certain about that even happening, with the torrential downpour part.

Yeah, but we already have had torrential downpours in central NC the previous two days. Parts of Union County and Cumberland County have had six to eight inches of rain in two days.

Maybe today will be the day it rains here.  Cell fired in N Spartanburg, but I'm too far south to have any chance with it.  A few popcorn showers popping up further west, but they are weak and aren't doing anything really.  If it doesn't rain today, I'm gonna have to start watering everything again.  Amazing that an hour away spots have received 5+ inches.  HRRR seems to concentrate most of the good stuff in N Spartanburg and basically just fringes mby.  4.88" total for the summer so far.

I see we have already been dropped from 50% to 30%.  I feel better about our chances now lol.  Anytime we are in the 50-80% rain we usually get diddly squat.  In fact I've probably received at least a quarter of my rain this summer from 0% days.

Storms hitting the same spot in Spartanburg.  Radar looks pathetic as usual.  Not too much hope of adding to my awesome 0.20" total for this "wet" pattern.  Maybe it will rain again next month.

Edit:  Storm number 3 now forming for N Spartanburg lol.  HRRR nailed that.

Outflow boundary moving through, but dry as a bone.  Pops have been bumped to 40% now.  Coverage looks isolated at best right now.  Things better start cranking up soon.  Only a few hours left before we lose our heating.

Archived