joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Observation thread.

NRVwxfan.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storms are nearby again.  Prob about 5-10 miles north of me.  Dark clouds and thunder right now.  Let's see if I can cash in again.  Hard to tell what's going to happen because the storms are nearly stationary, but they have generally been dropping south as the day has worn on.

Edit:  Some pretty good wind gusts with the outflow boundary that moved through.  Nothing firing yet but some towers going up right over me.  Still very dark to the north.

That tower over me just showed up on the last frame.  Let's see if it turns into anything decent.

Crunchy dry. .41" in the past 24 days. Tulip Poplar is shedding. Pine trees are shedding 2 months earlier than normal. Forecast has 'chances' every day next week starting Monday evening. We'll see.

Yeah, it's rough around here too! Everything just has a dull green look about it, that is the things that aren't dead! I still have not cut the grass since July 1st, and still don't need to! Maybe next week will help turn things around!? Currently 88

and dry!

Yeah, it's rough around here too! Everything just has a dull green look about it, that is the things that aren't dead! I still have not cut the grass since July 1st, and still don't need to! Maybe next week will help turn things around!? Currently 88

and dry!

If you take a look at the precip map at http://water.weather.gov/precip, and zoom into eastern NC over the last 90 days, you will see the peak of the dryness is over northern Wilson county (a bit east of Raleigh), which is bsically directly over my house.  I just can't win this summer.  Most of the stuff that come sin from the Appalachians falls apart before it gets here.  I'm too far west for the sea-breeze.  When a strong line passes through the whole state, they always seem orientated so that the least wet portion passes over Wilson.

I asked this question over in the patter thread but I will mention it here as well.  I am not quite sure why it has been so dry here in central NC this summer.  We have had some nasty ridges, but nothing too extreme.  We have had long periods of mean troughiness, but pop-up showers have been almost nil.  Our only rain has been with organized lines coming through, but those only seem to come about once a week, and when they get here they have been mostly drizzle.

Anyone else in central NC have the same feeling? 

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC 212 PM EDT MON AUG 17 2015 NCZ039-171915- RANDOLPH NC- 212 PM EDT MON AUG 17 2015 ...A SLOW-MOVING THUNDERSTORM WILL AFFECT PORTIONS OF SOUTHWESTERN RANDOLPH COUNTY UNTIL 309 PM EDT... AT 209 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SLOW-MOVING THUNDERSTORM 12 MILES NORTHEAST OF BADIN LAKE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 5 MPH. NATIONAL WEATHER WEATHER DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES THAT AROUND 2 INCHES OF RAIN HAS ALREADY FALLEN NEAR MARTHA. LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... MARTHA.

Feels good to have SW flow again.  It's been few and far between this summer.  Hope to get the grass cut before any storms get here.  Between the isolated storm I got under Friday night and the fertilizer I put out, the grass has really taken off again.  Hope we stay out of the NW flow regime for the rest of the summer and avoid any more upper 90's.  So ready for some crisp autumn days and football.

Feels good to have SW flow again. It's been few and far between this summer. Hope to get the grass cut before any storms get here. Between the isolated storm I got under Friday night and the fertilizer I put out, the grass has really taken off again. Hope we stay out of the NW flow regime for the rest of the summer and avoid any more upper 90's. So ready for some crisp autumn days and football.

You've got about 5 days to get the grass cut! :)

We made it to 95/61 today --- best was 95/59. Hopefully that's the last of the 90's for a few days. the rest of the summer

FYP

Those deeper echos moving northward in the slug of precip looks promising.  Grass is cut, so hopefully I can get in on some decent rain this evening.

Looks like there is a line coming together NE of Atl.

Archived