• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 11-14 Severe Weather Event

Powerball

While the outlook didn't mention a potential upgrade to high risk, this line struck me

17 million in the moderate risk area.

I think SPC's outlook overestimates the MCS's effect on the environment and the cloud cover. That MCS is a lot closer to Chicago than predicted at the time and at the current SE pace we should be LONG clear from clouds and convection by the time afternoon heating kicks in imo. But I think the morning update should be a lot more confident and we will really know whats going on.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think SPC's outlook overestimates the MCS's effect on the environment and the cloud cover. That MCS is a lot closer to Chicago than predicted at the time and at the current SE pace we should be LONG clear from clouds and convection by the time afternoon heating kicks in imo. But I think the morning update should be a lot more confident and we will really know whats going on.

The MCS has moved a lot faster than any of the models expected. The next 24 hours are gonna be interesting. 

I would tend to agree that the MCS should be out of the area pretty early.  Then the question is whether there's any festering areas of convection behind it and how long it takes for the sun to come out. 

I would tend to agree that the MCS should be out of the area pretty early.  Then the question is whether there's any festering areas of convection behind it and how long it takes for the sun to come out. 

MCV with that complex definitely has a strong easterly component of motion looking at the radar loop. Has a double WAA wing feeding it.

I would tend to agree that the MCS should be out of the area pretty early. Then the question is whether there's any festering areas of convection behind it and how long it takes for the sun to come out.

This cloud cover isn't too extensive at all, its already trying to clear Minnesota with very little lingering convection. As Andyhb said, you can clearly see the western extent of the system really ripping east at around 40mph while going around 30 mph south (around 50 mph SE/ESE)

post-12786-0-49335400-1436770553_thumb.j

This cloud cover isn't too extensive at all, its already trying to clear Minnesota with very little lingering convection. As Andyhb said, you can clearly see the western extent of the system really ripping east at around 40mph while going around 30 mph south (around 50 mph SE/ESE)

That's nice and all, but I'm more interested in vis sat in the morning.

That's nice and all, but I'm more interested in vis sat in the morning.

Ahh, fair enough. There could possibly be more convevtion backbuilding overnight but we'll just have to wait and see. No use trying to predict what the clouds and convection will do tomorrow morning.

I'm most likely going to be heading to central IL by mid-afternoon barring a significant surprise in the morning. We're going to be leaving from Columbus in the morning so it's possible we encounter whatever is left of the nocturnal MCS as we drive across IN.

This is my first time really "chasing" (driving an hour or two to catch a storm close to home isn't quite the same) so I'm fairly excited. The MCS currently has a decent easterly component of motion and doesn't appear to be back building which will hopefully bode well for destabilization across IL during the afternoon. With the 500mb jet streak nosing in by 21z am hoping that initialization of the second round occurs in that general timeframe. Am also hoping the MCS doesn't start diving more south and perhaps limit the destabilization farther north/east and force us to target areas farther southwest. As of now that looks somewhat unlikely.

Solid but pedestrian mcs arriving for the diurnal min. Should be able to capture a decent shelf.

Initiation still looks to be just to my west and south later. (LOT agrees)

Almost no wind when the line passed through here.  I certainly shouldn't have been surprised, and I'm not really disappointed because all I wanted is some t'storm action, but still pretty funny how weakening MCS' are like clockwork around here.

Had a nice run before this thing came in. Got drenched the last half mile or so but worth it for the view of incoming shelf on the west edge of town. Winds kicked up quite a bit with initial gust front and it looked ugly, but otherwise just heavy rain with lightning mixed in.

post-855-143678576685.jpg

SHORT WAVE APPROACHING FROM IA THIS

AFTERNOON ENDS UP BEING FOCUS FOR MORE WIDESPREAD

DEVELOPMENT...THIS COULD KEEP HIGHER END SEVERE THREAT OUT OF FAR

NORTHERN AND NORTHEAST IL AND EXTREME NORTHWEST INDIANA...AS PER

CURRENT DEPICTION OF MODERATE AND ENHANCED RISK FROM CWA.

it's a hedge but i like the idea

line nicely visible now, gonne snap some crappy window pics

Archived