joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see if we can snatch a 90 or two this week.  Looking ahead a bit of hint at some more pronoucned rudging towards mid month.  Overall not a strong signal for any prolonged negative or positive dep's  Ride normal (overall) bias wet...

Very summery week ahead

Generally poor sky conditions overall this summer so far. Would be nice to string a few days together with blue skies. Once again, a mostly cloudy day here.

Sure has the last 2 weeks after the May of sun.  SOme breaks here now.

Generally poor sky conditions overall this summer so far. Would be nice to string a few days together with blue skies. Once again, a mostly cloudy day here.

It really sucks. I guess this will keep up for the rest of the summer too. I hate this.

How is Jones beach? Going there on Saturday with my gf.

Try to get in to feild 6 if you can it's by far the best beach. The lot closes early though. If you can't get in there go to feild 5 it's a further walk but also a nice beach. I work at feild 4 which is the party beach and it can have a questionable crowd. It's great if youre single but not to bring the girl freind.

Weather is looking good

Try to get in to feild 6 if you can it's by far the best beach. The lot closes early though. If you can't get in there go to feild 5 it's a further walk but also a nice beach. I work at feild 4 which is the party beach and it can have a questionable crowd. It's great if youre single but not to bring the girl freind.

Weather is looking good

I avoid Jones Beach. There's a bunch of much better beaches in the area.

I avoid Jones Beach. There's a bunch of much better beaches in the area.

I am biased toward Long Beach for an overall beach and boardwalk experience. But if you are looking for a less crowded

and more open space alternative, I like the Jones Beach West End and Democrat Point on Fire Island.

I am biased toward Long Beach for an overall beach and boardwalk experience. But if you are looking for a less crowded

and more open space alternative, I like the Jones Beach West End and Democrat Point on Fire Island.

Ok West End is fair enough.

I have a fond memory of going to Point Lookout Town Park with my Aunt/Uncle/Cousins who lived in Merrick for most of my childhood. Didn't recall too much crowds over there and it was a decent enough beach and is pretty much just a stone's throw from Jones Beach. Haven't been there in probably 25-30 years though. How is it now?

I think that the ocean in the West End may just be open to surfers. Have to check with LB Surf Freak.

But that section of Jones Beach is gorgeous.

West end 2 has life gaurds on weekends this summer. It's very secluded and requires a long long walk. But agreed it's the prettiest western Long Island beach. Long beach is to built up to qualify for a natural beach. My personal favorite beach is lido west which has the best waves on western Long Island

West end 2 has life gaurds on weekends this summer. It's very secluded and requires a long long walk. But agreed it's the prettiest western Long Island beach. Long beach is to built up to qualify for a natural beach. My personal favorite beach is lido west which has the best waves on western Long Island

Lido West is my personal favorite but the beach is narrow. Otherwise if you find a space away from the crowd, it's a good spot.

I don't surf so I don't take that into consideration. Looks fun though haha.

I have a fond memory of going to Point Lookout Town Park with my Aunt/Uncle/Cousins who lived in Merrick for most of my childhood. Didn't recall too much crowds over there and it was a decent enough beach and is pretty much just a stone's throw from Jones Beach. Haven't been there in probably 25-30 years though. How is it now?

Lido West is my personal favorite but the beach is narrow. Otherwise if you find a space away from the crowd, it's a good spot.

I don't surf so I don't take that into consideration. Looks fun though haha.

Ah, yes, Lido, that's what it was called as Point Lookout is just a park next to Lido beach to the east. I was on the eastern edge of Lido next to Point Lookout all those years ago. I recall that part of Lido Beach not being too narrow and thought it was quite nice. Sounds like it's still nice and being that my aunt/uncle/cousins lived in Merrick, I recall it was a quick ride.

Yeah, the Jones Beach West End is also a premiere local stopover for viewing rare birds that you can't easily see in other

locations. It's the most reliable spot to view Snowy Owls during the winter. If you get lucky, you can

sometimes see Brown Pelicans on the sand bar in Jones Inlet during the summer.

http://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2013/12/enjoy-those-snowy-owls-but-dont-forget.html

Yeah, the Jones Beach West End is also a premiere local stopover for viewing rare birds that you can't easily see in other

locations. It's the most reliable spot to view Snowy Owls during the winter. If you get lucky, you can

sometimes see Brown Pelicans on the sand bar in Jones Inlet during the summer.

http://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2013/12/enjoy-those-snowy-owls-but-dont-forget.html

Is have yet to see a pelican on long island. I'm sure they do come up here though. I found a whole bunch of man-o-wars on the beach at jones a couple summers ago. Those things are not cool

Is have yet to see a pelican on long island. I'm sure they do come up here though. I found a whole bunch of man-o-wars on the beach at jones a couple summers ago. Those things are not cool

Those jellyfish are the worst. Occasionally during the summer, Brown Pelicans fly up the Jersey Shore and are seen

around places like Jone Inlet. My friend once saw a Brown Pelican on the pilings behind the Long Beach High School.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/22/nyregion/the-pelicans-are-coming-to-the-south-shore.html

Those jellyfish are the worst. Occasionally during the summer, Brown Pelicans fly up the Jersey Shore and are seen

around places like Jone Inlet. My friend once saw a Brown Pelican on the pilings behind the Long Beach High School.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/22/nyregion/the-pelicans-are-coming-to-the-south-shore.html

Wow 1992 I would think they would be even more common now. I'll keep an eye out.

What i do see everyday now at jones beach is osprey. Multiple birds multiple times a day. Talk about a recovery. When I first started gaurding 17 years ago they were super rare

Ohh and we have perrigan Falcons on campus at barnard/columbia. I find peices of half eaten other birds alllllll the time

Hoping the Euro more active convection and heavy rain potential works out 

Wednesday afternoon into Thursday night to help ease the drought conditions

on Long Island. We can do well with a stalled out front and weak wave

of low pressure overrunning setup if the location is right over us.

Hoping the Euro more active convection and heavy rain potential works out 

Wednesday afternoon into Thursday night to help ease the drought conditions

on Long Island. We can do well with a stalled out front and weak wave

of low pressure overrunning setup if the location is right over us.

How does the Euro look for today?  Already some showers popping over inland NJ and PA.   Some places in PA got 3-4 inches of rain from slow moving storms yesterday

Archived