Newest Member
    amirah5
July 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sitting at 90 now.

Despite not a whole bunch of 90 degree days in CPK its steadily been an above normal July, just in non dramatic fashion.

Even this recent "cool down" isn't cool at all 70 at night, upper 80s in the day  which avg slightly above norm everyday.

sitting at 90 now.

Despite not a whole bunch of 90 degree days in CPK its steadily been an above normal July, just in non dramatic fashion.

Even this recent "cool down" isn't cool at all 70 at night, upper 80s in the day which avg slightly above norm everyday.

The cooldown has been much more dramatic in outlying areas that radiate well. Much of Westchester has had two nights in the upper 50s and a couple others in the low 60s. Parts of New England have had highs in the 60s this weekend due to cloudiness from the backdoor front.

For NYC to get a cooldown in July, you need more rain and cloudiness. Sunny days and clear nights are rarely much below average in mid-summer because the City doesn't radiate well enough unlike outlying areas. This is especially true with the high humidity in July. It's a different story once we get to late August and September when cold fronts have stronger NW winds and lower RH. Windy nights cool the City down much more effectively than calm ones.

The cooldown has been much more dramatic in outlying areas that radiate well. Much of Westchester has had two nights in the upper 50s and a couple others in the low 60s. Parts of New England have had highs in the 60s this weekend due to cloudiness from the backdoor front.

For NYC to get a cooldown in July, you need more rain and cloudiness. Sunny days and clear nights are rarely much below average in mid-summer because the City doesn't radiate well enough unlike outlying areas. This is especially true with the high humidity in July. It's a different story once we get to late August and September when cold fronts have stronger NW winds and lower RH. Windy nights cool the City down much more effectively than calm ones.

Yes true, have had several nights well down in the 60's here.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

535 PM EDT SUN JUL 26 2015

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

SOUTHWESTERN SULLIVAN COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 615 PM EDT

* AT 535 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR ELDRED...OR

11 MILES WEST OF MONTICELLO...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

HAZARD...QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...DAMAGE TO VEHICLES IS EXPECTED.

* THIS SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...

ELDRED AROUND 545 PM EDT.

HIGHLAND LAKE AROUND 550 PM EDT.

HARTWOOD AROUND 610 PM EDT.

I don't know how relevant this post will be to anyone else but I'm in North Rockland county and it's dark here from the storm that's in NW Orange county.. and I think I here thunder now.. it's still way across the county, at least on radar.. 

oh yeah, that's thunder for sure..

Yeah but i mean immediately to my north. It looks like a pretty good TSTM but its not really showing up on radar

I'm curious to know if there are objects in the way of the radar sometimes.. there have been a few times there was more weather happening up here than was showing up on radar.. 

The city shouldn't have a blocking effect, is there anyone who may have an explanation for it?

the clouds here are absolutely still, no more breeze either.. raining to the north a few miles, I can see it falling, beautiful orange color to the south

Archived