amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 22-23 Severe Weather Outbreak

Stebo

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

71 people in here at almost 1:30 central/2:30 eastern...not bad considering we're not underway in our area yet.  :)

We've seen this movie many times...the initial outlook is conservative only to ramp up later as trends become clearer.  Maybe it will happen this time.  Until then, keep it real and get some rest folks. 

It would be a situation where a shower would pop up and drop a tornado in 10 mins like on 4/27/11.

I asked in another thread if that is what happened on May 31, 2013 with the El Reno "explode" mode, no clouds to tornado on the ground in 10 minutes. Did this happen on both because I don't remember hearing 4/27/11 having it but I have yet to fully analyze that.

Interesting for the Metro Detroiters, though we'd probably be on the far eastern fringe of the activity, is that the big Ford Fireworks show downtown along the Detroit River is at 10:06pm Monday night, where over a million people line up along the river on the US and Canadian side.

That could get crazy if a derecho plows through shortly before or after.

I wasn't aware of the Ford Fireworks Show being on the same night (until early yesterday), dang! That could be very bad, the media in Detroit doesn't seem to be concerned based on the 11:00 pm news cycle. I'm sure now that I've said this nothing will happen *wink wink*.

Some of the NAM soundings for lower MI at 0Z Monday are absolutely incredible with 0-1km SRH in excess of 500 m2/s2 and CAPEs over 4000 J/kg. 0-3km EHI is about 22, no big deal.

Wouldn't an EHI of 22 be the highest ever seen? As far as I've read, 4/27/11 had 21 (or 27?) as its highest but I'm not confident on that one.

60 knots of shear, 2500 to 3000 cape, every parameter is basically maxed out and they pull the hatched.  I understand that the MCS is a complicating factor, but I would imagine the atmosphere will recover in time given the dynamics in place.  eh.

The wind field is strong enough such that pretty much anything rooted in the boundary layer would have decent potential to produce significant wind.  The shear for tonight is strong enough such that insane rotation should yield at least a low potential for sig hail.  The lack of hatching sort of blew my mind.

06Z NAM/ 4K NAM remain consistent in showing a particularly volatile environment across S WI/N IL and MI this afternoon and evening. 4K NAM and NAM also continued wih their solutions of a string of supercells along the CF by 21-00Z. The 06Z RAP also shows something somewhat similar, and the 06Z HRRR shows instability FLOODING IN behind the MCS that it advertises.. And shows development along the CF across WI/IA.. Looks like show time?

6z 4km NAM initialized the ongoing MCS well but kills it off a bit quicker than i think is realistic...by the time it gets close to my area, destabilization will have been underway already for a few hours.

either way, like i said yesterday, not at all surprised to see the focus shifting south

Right now for MI I'd lean towards that complex clocking us between 1-4 p.m. today, then maybe a second round forming behind that starting in SW Mi around 6 p.m. this evening. Ordinarily I'd say no way to anything else happening behind such a big MCS, but dynamics might just be good enough to overcome our typical climo. We'll see.

im not sure what about that is unrealistic to you, we've seen this happen more than a few times

It wasn't unrealistic at all. The idiot on twitter was making a big deal about there being 0 j/kg cape in the HRRR. That's because the HRRR was convecting. That's the whole point of convection. The modeled exhaustion of instability was completely misinterpreted by twitter man.

Right now for MI I'd lean towards that complex clocking us between 1-4 p.m. today, then maybe a second round forming behind that starting in SW Mi around 6 p.m. this evening. Ordinarily I'd say no way to anything else happening behind such a big MCS, but dynamics might just be good enough to overcome our typical climo. We'll see.

I agree regarding recovery potential. The fact that the MCS will hit us at all is already evidence that climo is not in play. It should turn southeast and die, but the synoptic scale is evolving just as fast as the MCS is propagating.

It wasn't unrealistic at all. The idiot on twitter was making a big deal about there being 0 j/kg cape in the HRRR. That's because the HRRR was convecting. That's the whole point of convection. The modeled exhaustion of instability was completely misinterpreted by twitter man.

That's what I get for not reading the thread from last night.

"That idiot on Twitter" is also a Met who posts here (who goes by the name Quincy).

So with all due respect, I don't think he knows any less than you do about the potential of this setup. And I also don't see anything wrong with differing perspectives and opinions amongst Mets. 

IMO, his concerns are just as legit as not only a few convection-bearing models show, but we've seen it happen before many times locally.

Growing increasingly confident that the mcs will be the main show, especially east. Despite unfavorable diurnal timing, lots of support remains in place and it should remain healthy enough to reflare with better heating. Could see an impressive wind threat develop as it rides ese and eventually se along the effective warm front.

further west, southern outflow should set off some huge hp supes

the HRRR actually looks to have a good handle right now...it takes the MCS through Chicago (with some nice looking cells) but the recovery is ultra rapid...the DKB area goes from nearly zero sbcape in wake of the MCS to nearly 4000 in just 3 hours this afternoon

With the way the MCS is evolving, I have growing optimism for a sweet 1:2 punch of severe today. As long as the MCS doesn't back build, it should scream through with solid wind potential. Then we will play the "clear out and heat up" game, and wait for redevelopment along the boundaries left.

Usual caveats apply, but this could be a prolific wind/hail day with significant flooding concerns for the I-88 corridor; which is already saturated.

Growing increasingly confident that the mcs will be the main show, especially east. Despite unfavorable diurnal timing, lots of support remains in place and it should remain healthy enough to reflare with better heating. Could see an impressive wind threat develop as it rides ese and eventually se along the effective warm front.

further west, southern outflow should set off some huge hp supes

+1. I was typing the same thoughts when you snuck this post in.

Yes and no with the mcs being the main show....with the progged strength of the stregnthening slp...shear can be compensated greatly under less than optimal destabaliztion. Some of the incredible explosiveness may be lost though, i.e. a pixel to a supercell in one scan

From an obs standpoint locally...i am not seeing that mad rush of low level flow (yet) that i normally see mornings of "better" severe days...i sit at 71/71 currently

Yes and no with the mcs being the main show....with the progged strength of the stregnthening slp...shear can be compensated greatly under less than optimal destabaliztion. Some of the incredible explosiveness may be lost though, i.e. a pixel to a supercell in one scan

From an obs standpoint locally...i am not seeing that mad rush of low level flow (yet) that i normally see mornings of "better" severe days...i sit at 71/71 currently

starting off warm downtown at 76 with filtered sun.

effective warm front right at our doorstep now so flow should ramp up in a big way shortly

Archived