joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2015/16

snywx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Upton likes 1-2" for most areas up here..

Latest map is still showing 1-2 for most of Orange county http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php. The HWO's from Binghamton and State College are also thinking 1-2. Radar is looking good so far.   http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/northeast_loop.php

The weekend storm isn't terribly far off from plowable snow up here on the GFS. Still very marginal even after ML temps start cooling, but it wouldn't take enormous changes for things to get interesting in northern Litchfield and Dutchess.

That primary needs to die a quick death! It floods the midlevels with warm air around hr 84.. It tries to recover once the secondary gets going off the coast but by then its too late for us. NE cashes in.

Just drove home...looks like about a half inch from Poughkeepsie to Kingston. Hoping the storm on Saturday trends a little colder so I don't have to hit ctrl + 5 times on the GFS surface progs to see if Ulster County is getting rain or snow.

Edit...Just looked at the snow maps on tropical tidbits and it has everywhere at sea level getting little accumulation south of Albany.

What a great squall moving through now, the best in years! I haven't seen one like this since my brother lived upstate. Whiteout for the past 5-10 minutes with big gusts.

It's let up now to moderate snow but that was fantastic. I hope you all get that, lovely stuff. Glad I wasn't on the road when it hit though...

Yeah it was impressive... I would think you have over 1" otg now.

This winter is an utter disaster lol..

That squall dropped at least another .5 but who knows, it was blowing sideways for like 5 minutes straight. That was a true taste of what my experiences with lake effect were just a shorter duration.

What a great squall moving through now, the best in years! I haven't seen one like this since my brother lived upstate. Whiteout for the past 5-10 minutes with big gusts.

Yup....been cranking here for the past 10 minutes or so. It was just pouring snow every which way but down. It's winding down now.

You northerners didn't do too bad :D

That first squall this afternoon was awesome to watch but only put down an 1/8". The one you guys are referring to though got torn apart and was good enough for flurries and a very light sugar dusting.

very disappointing for our area as the line fell apart as it got near us,

Time to let reality sink in, we may get lucky with a storm or two (nothing serious) but we're finishing well below normal for snowfall, guaranteed

Probably, but not certainly. Broadly speaking, most of us average somewhere around 50". The Ides of March is nine weeks away, so if we take that as our cutoff for reasonable expectations of meaningful snow, we'd need to average 5.5" a week. Unlikely, but not inconceivable.... two nor'easters, two SWFEs, and a clipper get us very close.

That said, I'm not hugely concerned with hitting average. An average (or even somewhat above-average) season can be quite humdrum, and on the other hand you can get a couple terrific storms and still fall short. It's just a fact that we're not going to put up any wild seasonal numbers this year, but bombing coastal lows, thundersnow, epic hourly rates – the fun and tangible parts of winter – are all still in the cards.

I remember a while back we all commented on our ages and such, I should have made a flow chart but I digress, my youth and young adulthood involved many crappy 1980's and 1990's winters. I remember getting really frustrated at times in those years as storms either missed or never materialized.  Then we had some gems in there like the 83 Blizzard, the 93 Blizzard, the '93-'94 winter,the '95-'96 winter, the 12/30/00 storm all of which I appreciated that much more after 'suffering' through so many crappy winters.  

I can't say that the weather doesn't still affect my mood but really only in a positive way these days.  When storms don't work out it's more of a awe shucks thought and then on to the next.  That said, I still get excited when I do get to experience a neat weather event, like I'm still stoked from that squall last night.  The weather is gonna be what its gonna be and we just had a wild 3-4 day period, with warmth, decent thunderstorms with torrential downpours and hail, followed by some good snow squalls and now cold temps again. You have to just enjoy the ride and see what comes.  

Lets take a look at the '06-'07 winter, overall I recorded 26.8" of snow, a much below normal season.  That said, on 2/2/07 I recorded a similar incident to last night with 1.50" of snow falling from squalls that came through with a cold front.  Then I recorded 8" from the 2/13/07 storm, I noted that the 8" was about half sleet and half snow, it was a wild storm. Then I picked up 11" of snow with a little sleet for the 3/16/07 storm.  Both of those storms are very memorable in an otherwise crappy winter so lets hope we get at least something memorable over the next couple of months.     

Growing up there were only a handful of storms that stand out, January and February '78(?) and that storm in '83.  Thankfully at that point I left for twelve years and other than '96 I didn't miss much here during that period either but did experience some massive storms that turned me into a winter weather weenie for life.  72" in 30 hours in AZ and multi day storm periods in NW CO that would drop many feet of snow and then the over the top, outrageous Jan/Feb 94 in Tahoe and 398" in 45 days at Grand Targhee Nov/Dec 94.  

If this winter turns out to be a dud it's ok, in fact I'm kinda hoping for it to do just that.

Archived