• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

No cu fields... everything was mid to high level clouds.. Terrain and local oragraphics seemed to fire up the ALB tor cell. Everything going bananas over the mountains and lakes..... Closer to s/w and had aid of localized effects.. I think cap had a lot to do with why we haven't had much impressive stuff here.

It was lack of forcing/upper level support...it's great and sexy to see 3000+ capes but if there is no support or forcing to work with it's good for nothing.  With the forcing/support progressing east you can see how it interacts with the instability just by looking at PA...some pretty healthy looking activity there.  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the forcing is working east, albeit slowly.  Outside of central and eastern PA the most unstable air is actually across eastern MA and CT...with nothing going on in CT we should remain very unstable although it will tick down a bit.  That stuff near BGM still in a lesser unstable airmass...probably give it another hour and see how it does.  If it doesn't come up as it moves into a more unstable airmass than it probably won't materialize any further.  If the forcing can push east and keep in check with the activity it may be fine.  

Widespread severe probably unlikely but some isolated severe remains in the cards

Late show today. We're going to have some epic flash flooding if it keeps up this way.

It was lack of forcing/upper level support...it's great and sexy to see 3000+ capes but if there is no support or forcing to work with it's good for nothing.  With the forcing/support progressing east you can see how it interacts with the instability just by looking at PA...some pretty healthy looking activity there.  

I like the way you said overturned atmosphere. I've heard it before, but it's great to use. How much will that s/w coming eastward even matter at this point? 

I'd kill to be somewhere near Portland ME right now. 

Stuff near BGM doesn't look impressive. Maybe that stuff firming in SWMass can continue to build sw into Ct

that stuff near BGM is in an area where instability is much less...so that could be why it's not doing much.  Just east though you still have 2500 MLcape and 3000 MUcape across SNE.  So I'm thinking wait and see how it's looking by 9:30.  If it hasn't gotten better goodnight 

Sorry, no. Some side streets under water, but I don't know the names.

Impressive lightning - this is Great Plains-caliber stuff

Yeah, I mean we've primed the pump with round one (or two) and now this congealing cluster of storms might push a lot of places over the edge into true flash flooding.

I'm worried about central NH. Right on the warm front will get smoked.

Yeah it is just to the south of my area.  Constant CG to the south.  I just had a bit of typical backyard flash flooding from the cell that went over Littleton earlier, but it must be getting pretty bad down there.

I'm worried about central NH. Right on the warm front will get smoked.

I've managed to be just inside the edge of every rain shaft today so I've only scored 0.54" so far.  I can probably walk from here to where 2"+ fell in about 10 minutes.

Would be sweet if that front would sag a bit further south.  I love a good long flooding rain and it looks like it's setting up a tad too far north.   

Clearly a TOR

CKTnwlXUcAAymD2.jpg

Anecdotal but when I see the RFD extend and drop south like that I am thinking null case more often than not. There is a good Kumjian and Rhyzkov paper about a similar looking null case storm in Oklahoma viewed from the dual pol KOUN experimental doppler radar in 2008.

I've managed to be just inside the edge of every rain shaft today so I've only scored 0.54" so far.  I can probably walk from here to where 2"+ fell in about 10 minutes.

Would be sweet if that front would sag a bit further south.  I love a good long flooding rain and it looks like it's setting up a tad too far north.   

It does look like it might stay just to your north.

Archived