Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like that cell is beginning to outrun better upper-level support 

My money is on the fact it was a. discrete b. one of the first cells to initiate c. shear really maximized with the valley.. It's always been a late evening to overnight show. With the instability we have now and cells upstream someone is going to have some fun tonight.

My money is on the fact it was (a) discrete ( B) one of the first cells to initiate © shear really maximized with the valley.. It's always been a late evening to overnight show. With the instability we have now and cells upstream someone is going to have some fun tonight.

The cell was no doubt discrete and it happened to develop and move into an area where both shear and instability were pretty maximized.  MLcapes were near 3000 J/KG with SBcapes 3500 J/KG and LI of -9 with very strong shear and some backed llvl winds.  But it was also on the edge of probably the better upper support.  

My guess is after 8 before rest of SNE starts getting active.  Once that s/w moves closer

probably after 8:00 we see more activity develop but yeah it may be around 10 or so until we really see our chance.  Let's just keep any of this junk away from us so the atmosphere doesn't get too overturned,  

Hopefully this hasn't turned into a NY and NH threat.  Still seems like decent shot of some type of MCS forming..Lots of stuff well NW int NY State and Canada

Hopefully this hasn't turned into a NY and NH threat.  Still seems like decent shot of some type of MCS forming..Lots of stuff well NW int NY State and Canada

I think for us we had to really rely on MCS formation b/c that would increase the likelihood of activity sliding down this way.  Right now though all the better and support and forcing is still pretty well NW of us.  Despite the highly moderate instability we have in place you still need good forcing and support and we're lacking that right now.  

If an MCS does organize outflow could be a focus for some extra forcing for us as well.  Just have to watch how things transpire over the next few hours.  

I think for us we had to really rely on MCS formation b/c that would increase the likelihood of activity sliding down this way.  Right now though all the better and support and forcing is still pretty well NW of us.  Despite the highly moderate instability we have in place you still need good forcing and support and we're lacking that right now.  

If an MCS does organize outflow could be a focus for some extra forcing for us as well.  Just have to watch how things transpire over the next few hours.  

Yeah, north of pike unless isolated or mcs seems fair. especially since this blob of severe seems destined to roll down the nh/ma border into the evening.

South of pike is more capped out plus cirrus overflowing and taking away some of the daytime heating that rt 2 and bos is still getting right now.

I tried looking at WV for the s/w but had trouble really finding it but maybe a more regionalized view would have helped.  Anyways, latest mesonanalysis at 500mb you can see where the nose of the MLJ is located, pushing right into western NY.  This is continuing to slide east and some steepening of the lapse rates also occurring given height falls.  

We continue to be highly unstable and this will continue even past dark.  Once this better jet energy gets closer we should see more activity develop.  I am somewhat nervous about down here in CT Kevin b/c it's possible you and I are just a tad south but you may actually be in a better spot than me.  

500mb.gif?1437344851327

A couple other notes of interests:

There is some decent dew point pooling going on in the CT Valley with dews well into the lower 70's.  This is something that should hold in place through the evening and that, along with steep and steepening lapse rates are going to keep us quite unstable.  

Despite sfc winds in the Hudson which looked to be mainly SW, the storm motion was actually nearly perpendicular to the llvl flow so that allowed for enhanced helicity and also may have explained the anti-cyclonic rotation Ryan pointed out.  

Archived