• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

There has got to be huge problems on Lake Winnipesaukee right now.  Thousands of people out on the lake.  Severe thunderstorm that came out of no where.  No warnings.  Finally now a warning as its right over the main part of the lake.  I think you will hear about this on the news.  Rescues etc... 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has got to be huge problems on Lake Winnipesaukee right now.  Thousands of people out on the lake.  Severe thunderstorm that came out of no where.  No warnings.  Finally now a warning as its right over the main part of the lake.  I think you will hear about this on the news.  Rescues etc... 

Any marinas with webcams out there?

eek,  do you have the full video of that funnel thing.  Was there rotation?  That storm started right over me without a drop of rain. As the Cu past it was building. I watched as it dropped the first rain about 2 miles east of me and watched the top go from water to an ice anvil very fast. Kept back building as it went east. Hope we don't hear about any drownings or injuries out on the lake.

Yeah, those sort of "incidental" spinners happen probably far more frequently than people are aware. As an avid cloud observer and cloud film hobbyist I can say by experience that I have often seen even associated with rain free, vigorous CU growth ... small "rope" like features extending into clear air from the sides and the edges of the CU base just before the cloud structure curves into the vertical.  Those regions are saturated with micro-scale vorticity and cloud fractals often get involved... 

The question is ... is that funnel (which it clearly is) associated with a rotating updraft (meso).  

Archived