• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

Recon reports show FL level winds are 68kt ~78 mph just wish we could get it to mix down to the surface lol pressure relatively unchanged, if this would have been later on in the season with warmer waters this could have been trouble.

Just saw a 65 mph 10s sfc wind, but it does appear to be losing some shape. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recon reports show FL level winds are 68kt ~78 mph just wish we could get it to mix down to the surface lol pressure relatively unchanged, if this would have been later on in the season with warmer waters this could have been trouble.

The Frying Pan buoy tells the tale rather well I think I have seen it gust to 50 knts once but its sustained around 40 so barely maintaining TS force conditions...... it was still seeing pressure falls so its not quite in the center as of 8:50 when it last updated so unless there is a big jump at the next update I wouldn't expect to see that kind of wind at the surface.

Seeing lots of gust 40+ right on the Cape but with the wind field like it is maybe Wrightsville up to Topsail might be the spot that sees the worst winds in 3-4 hrs...

Just like most message boards this one is dying. It is mainly because the people who are wrong a lot call out people for being wrong who express their opinions (right or wrong) and those people in turn say well there is always twitter. You folks have a good night and remember weather is something ALL people can and will get wrong a lot.

Your "forecasts" have been consistently wrong.

I have been a bad boy haven't I.

You seem to post whatever pops into your head without applying any kind of a filter and without considering what you posted just shortly before. It leads to disjointed threads that wander off topic as people react to your statements.  

FYI  You are about to receive notice that I have warned you. In fact I am removing a warning I gave you February that did not remove itself after 90 days.  Please don't make me regret it.

Just saw a 65 mph 10s sfc wind, but it does appear to be losing some shape. 

I think the center is trying to close off a little tighter maybe maybe seeing a bit of that interaction with land effect tightening up the COC a bit, if anywhere is going to see winds 60+ its in that band on the east side of the circ there is some nasty stuff in the 70-80 mph range not to high up there on velocity scans

Just like most message boards this one is dying. It is mainly because the people who are wrong a lot call out people for being wrong who express their opinions (right or wrong) and those people in turn say well there is always twitter. You folks have a good night and remember weather is something ALL people can an will get wrong a lot.

TaTa now.

I think the center is trying to close off a little tighter maybe maybe seeing a bit of that interaction with land effect tightening up the COC a bit, if anywhere is going to see winds 60+ its in that band on the east side of the circ there is some nasty stuff in the 70-80 mph range not to high up there on velocity scans

Yeah you are right, looks to be tightening up just a bit.  I am interested to see what the Hurricane Hunters find as they make a pass into the NE quadrant. 

Yeah you are right, looks to be tightening up just a bit.  I am interested to see what the Hurricane Hunters find as they make a pass into the NE quadrant. 

So far one thing that has stood out on this leg with recon is the FL and surface winds are almost the same and in a few cases the surface winds where higher than the FL winds

Time: 02:00:30Z

Coordinates: 32.433N 77.033W

Acft. Static Air Press: 843.2 mb

Acft. Geopotential Hgt: 1,597 m

Extrap. Sfc. Press: 1017.0 mb (30.04 inHg)

Flt. Lvl. Wind (30s): From 189° at 41 kts (From the S at 47.2 mph)

Air Temp: 12.4°C (54.3°F)

Dew Pt: -0.5°C (31.1°F)

Peak (10s) Flt. Lvl. Wind: 42 kts (48.3 mph)

SFMR Peak (10s) Sfc. Wind: 45 kts (51.8 mph)

SFMR Rain Rate: 4 mm/hr (0.16 in/hr)

That location I linked is the Cape Fear Pilots station right on the point in Southport so the numbers are going to be pretty accurate and its in a prime location to get pummeled.....62 mph peak gust so far....further down Oak Island the winds gusting more like 40-50 but the wind direction isn't that great for big numbers west of Cape Fear....still might see some 60+ stuff up the coast too Jville as the center moves north.

I wonder if the curve of Myrtle Beach's coastline is helping Ana here...

1100 PM EDT SAT MAY 09 2015

Satellite and radar data indicate that Ana's convective structure
increased in organization during the late afternoon as banding
increased over the northeastern portion of the circulation.
However, during the past few hours, the cloud top temperatures have
warmed and the convection has decreased in intensity.  Data from an
Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft indicate that the initial
intensity remains at 50 kt, which is in best agreement with
uncontaminated SFMR winds.  Ana is still forecast to weaken slightly
while it moves over cooler waters near the coast overnight.
Additional weakening should occur once the center moves onshore
Sunday morning. The cyclone is forecast to become post-tropical on
Monday before it is absorbed by a larger extratropical low over
eastern North America.

Radar data and aircraft fixes indicate that Ana is moving north-
northwestward, or 320/04.  The tropical cyclone should continue
moving slowly north-northwestward tonight as a mid-tropospheric
ridge to the north of Ana shifts eastward.  A broad trough moving
into the central and eastern U.S. during the next few days is
expected to cause the cyclone or its remnants to turn northward on
Sunday and then northeastward at a faster forward speed by Sunday
night.  The updated NHC track is similar to the previous advisory
and is close to the multi-model consensus.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT  10/0300Z 33.2N  78.3W   50 KT  60 MPH
 12H  10/1200Z 33.8N  78.6W   45 KT  50 MPH...NEAR THE COAST
 24H  11/0000Z 34.7N  78.4W   30 KT  35 MPH...INLAND
 36H  11/1200Z 35.9N  77.3W   30 KT  35 MPH...INLAND
 48H  12/0000Z 37.8N  75.0W   30 KT  35 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
 72H  13/0000Z...ABSORBED

damn they don't have it crossing the coast till 11am tomorrow morning If that is the case then Cape Fear is gonna take a beating, 45-60 mph gust for 12 hrs is no fun. They have the center crossing about right over Pitt Co around late afternoon tomorrow or 18 hrs from now...so 18 hrs to go 150 miles I guess the 3-4" of rain most models give us is not out of the question and that's not counting the .75" we got yesterday and today.

Heavy rain off and on the last few hrs, .50" in the gauge but that has what hit yesterday as well....hard to tell how much more rain we get models say 1-3" maybe.

We finally had our first band come thru. .32 fell from it. Areas just to our south and east got a lot more this morning. Hopefully more to come.

We finally had our first band come thru. .32 fell from it. Areas just to our south and east got a lot more this morning. Hopefully more to come.

Not me I want no more rain but looks like that's not gonna happen lol....had some thunder with that last storm first time I have heard thunder with this system.

mcd0074.gif 

1118 AM EDT SUN MAY 10 2015

AREAS AFFECTED...THE COASTAL PLAIN OF NC

CONCERNING...HEAVY RAINFALL...FLASH FLOODING POSSIBLE

VALID 101516Z - 102116Z

SUMMARY...RAINFALL RATES ARE BEGINNING TO INCREASE IN ASSOCIATION
WITH TROPICAL STORM ANA, EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH THE NC COASTAL
PLAIN.  WITH AN EMERGING SIGNAL FOR HEAVY RAINFALL IN THE
MESOSCALE GUIDANCE, FLASH FLOODING IS CONSIDERED POSSIBLE.

DISCUSSION...ANA REMAINS A TROPICAL STORM LATE THIS MORNING PER
THE 15Z ADVISORY FROM NHC.  OVERNIGHT, RAINFALL TOTALS WERE
MODEST, WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNT NOTED IN SOUTHWEST CARTARET COUNTY
(ALONG THEIR BARRIER ISLAND) OF 2.53".  HOWEVER, RECENT RADAR
TRENDS INDICATE AN UPTICK TO CONVECTIVE COVERAGE, WITH 2-3 SPIRAL
BANDS SHOWING UP EAST OF ITS CENTER IN RECENT SCANS.  PRECIPITABLE
WATER VALUES ARE 1.75-2", PAR FOR THE COURSE FOR A SYSTEM OF
NON-TROPICAL ORIGIN.  WINDS AT 850 HPA/NEAR THE CLOUD BASE ARE
BROADLY 25-40 KTS ALONG THE NC COAST, DOUBLE THE MEAN 850-400 HPA
WIND, WHICH SHOULD SET UP PRECIPITATION EFFICIENCY.  MIXED LAYER
CAPE VALUES NEAR THE OUTERMOST BAND ARE 1000-2000 J/KG, SUFFICIENT
FOR WET MULTI-CELLS.  

OFFSHORE, CAPE VALUES REMAIN 1000-2000 J/KG, WHICH SHOULD BE ABLE
TO ADVECT IN AS FAR THE ANA'S EXPECTED TRACK.  THE 00Z SPC WRF,
00Z WRF4NSSL, AND 06Z NAM CONEST APPEAR TOO HIGH WITH RAINFALL
AMOUNTS NEAR THE SYSTEM'S CENTER -- DUE TO THE CAPE/INFLOW
ORIENTATION, A MORE PROLONGED/MODEST RAIN EVENT IS EXPECTED NEAR
ITS CORE MORE TYPICAL OF A FLOOD RATHER THAN A FLASH FLOOD EVENT.
HOWEVER, WITHIN THE SPIRAL BANDS, WITH GREATER INFLOW AND
INSTABILITY, THE MESOSCALE GUIDANCE IS UNITED IN SUGGESTING 2-4"
OF RAIN POSSIBLE LOCALLY, NEAR THE REGION'S THREE HOURLY FLASH
FLOOD GUIDANCE.  AVAILABLE MOISTURE SUPPORTS RAIN RATES UP TO 2.5"
AN HOUR.  FLASH FLOODING IS CONSIDERED POSSIBLE.

They have Ana still over NE NC at 8 am tomorrow morning so she is in no hurry and some places are going to get 3-5" of rain before its all said and done....will be interesting to see if storms/showers break out in western NC as her rotation and tropical moisture spread inland

They have Ana still over NE NC at 8 am tomorrow morning so she is in no hurry and some places are going to get 3-5" of rain before its all said and done....will be interesting to see if storms/showers break out in western NC as her rotation and tropical moisture spread inland

Off and on drizzle is about all we ever get here in the western triad with these small tropical systems. I swear the banding stops at PTI in Greensboro. Today we do seem to be getting the low level clouds pushing inland further than I expected. Usually we get 50% sun out of these things.

Love the breeze but it is so humid its like standing in front of a water fan at Disney World.

The best I saw was last night when the center was 20-30 miles offshore there were several 55-65 mph gust right along the beaches around Cape Fear.....away from that 45-50 seems the be the best they got inland off the beach but it was still limited to the immediate coastal areas...

They always do look better when the weaker ones come in the land interaction tightens them up in some cases it does actually help them continue to strengthen ( Bertha, Irene etc) but if they are already well organized then coming in rips them up. Eastern NC is flat most of it east of I 95 is under 100 ft in elevation heck most of it is under 50 ft....

Archived