• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worried about Wednesday.  I think that's the day.  But it just isn't confirmed.  I'm more impressed that in the warmest November on record to this date for Mount Mansfield, there's still that much down on the opening route.  If the warmest first 2-3 weeks of November on record only set us back 5 days, that's a win.  This is running warmer than 2006 and we weren't anywhere close to what's on that route now back in 2006. 

Glad you're not worried.  truth be told, I'm not either since I have other commitments and wont be skiing for a few weeks regardless. 

Do you attribute the improvement to the fan guns you guys added, the new low-e guns or something else?

I get the impression that many skiers think the new low e guns make less snow in marginal temps, but from what I hear from those involved at SB, they are more than pleased with the performance.

1.45"  in the bucket.  For a change I seem to be the jackpot for QPF. 

I know this is the NNE forum but wanted to post this picture I just snapped from my brother's webcam in Aspen.  Maybe snow squalls look this intense in VT or in Whites but usually don't see something this distinct around here.  Didn't retouch this pic at all this is just how the cam saw it.  A cool picture!

post-268-0-51846100-1448062052_thumb.jpg

Extensive analysis reveals nothing is wrong with my rain gauge. No blockages. Tipper tips just fine. I simulated a deluge and each tip was recorded. No idea what happened last night.

Is it possible there was a leaf in the bucket blocking the hole? I found one last week in mine and it didn't record much at all. It's happened more than once over the years

Extensive analysis reveals nothing is wrong with my rain gauge. No blockages. Tipper tips just fine. I simulated a deluge and each tip was recorded. No idea what happened last night.

Maybe you have a reed switch acting up? Maybe a bad connection with the wire and high RH causes errors? You could get a little dielectric grease and put it on all of the RJ connectors.

Is it possible there was a leaf in the bucket blocking the hole? I found one last week in mine and it didn't record much at all. It's happened more than once over the years

Maybe, but I figured the leaf would have still been in there.  Wasn't much wind.  Odd.

Maybe you have a reed switch acting up? Maybe a bad connection with the wire and high RH causes errors? You could get a little dielectric grease and put it on all of the RJ connectors.

Hrm... worth a try.  

I wish Davis would at least confirm or deny that a VP3 is coming.

I wish Davis would at least confirm or deny that a VP3 is coming.

Yeah...I'm on my 9th year and you're over 10 now. If there's going to be a VP3 in time for next Christmas I think we'll have to start seeing some rumors by next Spring and an announcement by early fall.

I think for sure we'd see an upgraded console with color and a touch screen...probably something that can work as a phone/tablet app too. Sensor wise...maybe they'd offer an ultrasonic anemometer and/or snow depth? I don't think we'd see anything extravagant like a vis sensor yet. They could easily do a precipitation detection sensor like I did though...it's basically just a heated leaf wetness sensor.

It would be cool if the connectivity and data access on these stations were more modern like Wifi and XML.  The thing that really held me back last time I looked was the exorbitant cost of the PC interface.  It seems like the sensors are great, but the interfaces are an afterthought.  The other thing holding me back was there's simply no spot on my property to get a good wind measurement.  I even got a station at an ultra-low yard sale price and decided to sell it rather than hassle with it.

I am having trouble finding it now, but there was a website that had BTV's season snow totals listed by each winter season going back to the beginning of their record. Does anyone know where I can find it? For each winter it lists how much fell each month with the season total on the right.

I am having trouble finding it now, but there was a website that had BTV's season snow totals listed by each winter season going back to the beginning of their record. Does anyone know where I can find it? For each winter it lists how much fell each month with the season total on the right.

I’ve used that page as well.  I don’t know the link at the moment, but you can re-create it here by using the link below and choosing monthly summarized data, a range of say 1893-2015, Snowfall, and Sum:

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=btv

This was the one I know they have posted now:

http://www.weather.gov/btv/historicalSnow

This annoys me because its yearly, not seasonal snowfall.

Yeah...I'm on my 9th year and you're over 10 now. If there's going to be a VP3 in time for next Christmas I think we'll have to start seeing some rumors by next Spring and an announcement by early fall.

I think for sure we'd see an upgraded console with color and a touch screen...probably something that can work as a phone/tablet app too. Sensor wise...maybe they'd offer an ultrasonic anemometer and/or snow depth? I don't think we'd see anything extravagant like a vis sensor yet. They could easily do a precipitation detection sensor like I did though...it's basically just a heated leaf wetness sensor.

I wish they would come out with some type of wireless setup to a large console with large LED lights.  Something I could mount on a wall and look across the room and get the data without having to look at such a small screen

NOUS41 KCAR 231224

PNSCAR

MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-030053--240024-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

724 AM EST MON NOV 23 2015

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOP

OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...FACEBOOK FANS...AND MEDIA FOR THESE

REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT