• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

Haha yep.  There's no way any normal person would notice that.  I just want them to relocate that ASOS into my backyard. 

I will say I do like the new location better.  Often we see an ASOS move and you are sort of scratching your head as to why... this move puts the new location smack dab in the middle of the field, away from the road, buildings, trees, etc. 

This was the old spot right on the road..

attachicon.gifMVL2.jpg

And the new one is way out there in the middle of the field, un-obstructed by anything.  Should give a great representation of "field climo" (warm dry days, cold nights). 

attachicon.gifMVL1.jpg

That seems like fairly awful siting, so I'm guessing that was the motivating factor behind the move.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey VT peeps, I'm making my television debut tonight on WVNY's Winter preview. Their morning meteorologist Amanda Lindquist interviewed me a couple of weeks ago about getting trails ready for snowmobile season. Not sure how much of it made it in but they filmed for a good 10-15 minutes. It was pretty cool talking not her. She graduated from FSU and spent 3 years in North Dakota before coming to VT. She said she is a bit of a severe wx nerd so I informed her that we don't do severe all that well. Anyway, I hope I don't come off as too much of a dork. It's on ABC 22 at 7:30 tonight.

Hey VT peeps, I'm making my television debut tonight on WVNY's Winter preview. Their morning meteorologist Amanda Lindquist interviewed me a couple of weeks ago about getting trails ready for snowmobile season. Not sure how much of it made it in but they filmed for a good 10-15 minutes. It was pretty cool talking not her. She graduated from FSU and spent 3 years in North Dakota before coming to VT. She said she is a bit of a severe wx nerd so I informed her that we don't do severe all that well. Anyway, I hope I don't come off as too much of a dork. It's on ABC 22 at 7:30 tonight.

It's all downhill for her.

nice hook us up with the link when it pops up Mr. Eaves

That seems like fairly awful siting, so I'm guessing that was the motivating factor behind the move.

You know I never really thought it was that bad driving by it.  I mean its near the road but its not like that's a 4-lane highway.  They've done a decent amount of construction around the airport though recently, along with lengthening the runway.  I was thinking the change was more because they might be planning on developing the current site (maybe expand the entrance or something), or that they want to get the observations closer to the runway if they are trying to attract slightly larger craft. 

Nice I'll try to look for it.

You know I never really thought it was that bad driving by it.  I mean its near the road but its not like that's a 4-lane highway.  They've done a decent amount of construction around the airport though recently, along with lengthening the runway.  I was thinking the change was more because they might be planning on developing the current site (maybe expand the entrance or something), or that they want to get the observations closer to the runway if they are trying to attract slightly larger craft. 

Was that on the road to Johnson, seems I remember that when my kid Brandi was at school there.

It is amazing how low the sun angle is this time of year, and how that relates to snow preservation.

I've been shocked at the staying power of even 1-3" of snow on the lower slopes of Mt Mansfield (northeast facing), while over at Spruce Peak which is south facing, all the natural snow is gone up to 3,000ft.

This photo is from 1,600-1,700ft elevation, looking up the east slope of Mansfield at 1-2pm in the afternoon.  There are still plenty of patchy snow left from the 2" that fell last Friday night, despite several above freezing days.  The thing is, during the afternoon when temps are the warmest this whole side of the mountain is already in the shade.  The preservation is crazy.

This might look like late afternoon, but the sun sets at like 11am on this side of the mountain this time of year.  The afternoon sun angle is just so low that it can't clear the ridgeline up above.

2L8A1025_edited-2_zpszeyyfa7d.jpg

On the flip side, looking across at Spruce Peak (known as "Sunny Spruce"), there's no snow all the way up to 3,000ft.  That side gets full sunshine pretty much all day long and the sun actually sets when its supposed to over there.

But even with the weak sun angle this time of year, its still amazing how much of a difference that makes in snow preservation.  The whole Mansfield east slope is in the shade all afternoon, while Spruce across the road basks in the sun.

2L8A1054_edited-2_zps7udrn0cz.jpg

It is amazing how low the sun angle is this time of year, and how that relates to snow preservation.

I've been shocked at the staying power of even 1-3" of snow on the lower slopes of Mt Mansfield (northeast facing), while over at Spruce Peak which is south facing, all the natural snow is gone up to 3,000ft.

This photo is from 1,600-1,700ft elevation, looking up the east slope of Mansfield at 1-2pm in the afternoon.  There are still plenty of patchy snow left from the 2" that fell last Friday night, despite several above freezing days.  The thing is, during the afternoon when temps are the warmest this whole side of the mountain is already in the shade.  The preservation is crazy.

This might look like late afternoon, but the sun sets at like 11am on this side of the mountain this time of year.  The afternoon sun angle is just so low that it can't clear the ridgeline up above.

2L8A1025_edited-2_zpszeyyfa7d.jpg

On the flip side, looking across at Spruce Peak (known as "Sunny Spruce"), there's no snow all the way up to 3,000ft.  That side gets full sunshine pretty much all day long and the sun actually sets when its supposed to over there.

But even with the weak sun angle this time of year, its still amazing how much of a difference that makes in snow preservation.  The whole Mansfield east slope is in the shade all afternoon, while Spruce across the road basks in the sun.

2L8A1054_edited-2_zps7udrn0cz.jpg

Looks openable to me. 

:cry:  :cry:

Looks openable to me. 

:cry:  :cry:

That photo is a little deceiving, but you can still see the waterbars outlined...give it 0.5-1.0" rainfall by tomorrow morning and I bet those waterbars open up a bit.  Can't put a groomer on that just yet, well, could, but risk turning up mud.  With the cold shot coming Sun/Mon, it'll give the snowmakers a lot more freedom to stretch hoses and blast away without having to worry about 1,000 skiers & riders on the run.  I think Wednesday was the right choice with the long game in mind.  If it was just to get open for 1-2 days and then close for a few days, probably could've happened.  But when the mountain opens, its gotta be able to sustain heavy traffic and nightly grooming indefinitely. 

Hey maybe if winter is really back-loaded the Quad will just run another week in April.  I'd take that trade.

That photo is a little deceiving, but you can still see the waterbars outlined...give it 0.5-1.0" rainfall by tomorrow morning and I bet those waterbars open up a bit.  Can't put a groomer on that just yet, well, could, but risk turning up mud.  With the cold shot coming Sun/Mon, it'll give the snowmakers a lot more freedom to stretch hoses and blast away without having to worry about 1,000 skiers & riders on the run.  I think Wednesday was the right choice with the long game in mind.  If it was just to get open for 1-2 days and then close for a few days, probably could've happened.  But when the mountain opens, its gotta be able to sustain heavy traffic and nightly grooming indefinitely. 

Hey maybe if winter is really back-loaded the Quad will just run another week in April.  I'd take that trade.

I know. It was the right choice long term wise.  I appreciate that Stowe takes the position: "when we are open, we are open till the end." I also appreciate that they don't open if they can't offer a product up to their standards. 

I just hope Wednesday IS the day. Next week isn't looking as cold as previously modeled with another trough in the intermountain west and downstream ridging (pattern much).  That said, given what was blown up there, and a few more days of decent temps, I think you'll be fine for Wednesday. 

I know. It was the right choice long term wise.  I appreciate that Stowe takes the position: "when we are open, we are open till the end." I also appreciate that they don't open if they can't offer a product up to their standards. 

I just hope Wednesday IS the day. Next week isn't looking as cold as previously modeled with another trough in the intermountain west and downstream ridging (pattern much).  That said, given what was blown up there, and a few more days of decent temps, I think you'll be fine for Wednesday. 

I'm not worried about Wednesday.  I think that's the day.  But it just isn't confirmed.  I'm more impressed that in the warmest November on record to this date for Mount Mansfield, there's still that much down on the opening route.  If the warmest first 2-3 weeks of November on record only set us back 5 days, that's a win.  This is running warmer than 2006 and we weren't anywhere close to what's on that route now back in 2006. 

In other news, I'm quite disappointed that they took apart and moved the entire MVL ASOS but still couldn't be brought to fix the precipitation gauge.  Technicians on site doing all sorts of work relocating the whole thing, but yet no fix to the precipitation can.

Still sticks out like a sore thumb.  The worst part about it is the most unreliable observations in the entire area come from the most expensive weather station you can image.

Archived