• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

Warm day today... looking through the high temps though I found something interesting that I wonder if its "local geography" related.

BML at 1,150ft is in a valley and hit at least 83F (maybe 84F).  BML was 83/53 for 37% RH.

MPV is pretty much exactly the same elevation as BML, but on a hill-top plateau, not a valley.

MPV never showed an hourly getting above 80F.  Lowest RH was 80/58 at 47%.

I'm thinking the difference between local topography in that MPV is more of a hill-top vs. BML's more valley situation, is what helped BML get several degrees higher (but lower dews) despite the two spots having identical elevations and identical ASOS equipment.  There's probably something to be said for the ability to have compressional warming/drying off nearby higher terrain, than if one is sort of on top of the plateau and more in the "free air."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm day today... looking through the high temps though I found something interesting that I wonder if its "local geography" related.

BML at 1,150ft is in a valley and hit at least 83F (maybe 84F).  BML was 83/53 for 37% RH.

MPV is pretty much exactly the same elevation as BML, but on a hill-top plateau, not a valley.

MPV never showed an hourly getting above 80F.  Lowest RH was 80/58 at 47%.

I'm thinking the difference between local topography in that MPV is more of a hill-top vs. BML's more valley situation, is what helped BML get several degrees higher (but lower dews) despite the two spots having identical elevations and identical ASOS equipment.  There's probably something to be said for the ability to have compressional warming/drying off nearby higher terrain, than if one is sort of on top of the plateau and more in the "free air."

850 temps climbed a bit from W to E yesterday. It wasn't your usual N to S gradient.

Time sensitive.

gfsNE_850_temp_000.gif

Kinda little for this late in the season - must be some failed early clutches followed by re-nesting.  Those poults will need to eat hearty this fall to survive winter.

They were all back this evening eating some fallen sunflower seeds under the feeder this evening. I'm guessing this means they'll be around more. I'll see how they progress. They're cute little buggers.

Frozen dew on the pickup roofand a bit of the windshield, temp was edging down to the freezing point.  Biggest autumnal (even if calendar summer yet) cliff-dive in many years, from a seasonal low-to-date of 43 down to this morning's 32.  (In 1983 in Ft.Kent we'd not dropped below 40 into mid-Sept, then came an unforecast 25 - could've used the green tomatoes for bocce.)

Frozen dew on the pickup roofand a bit of the windshield, temp was edging down to the freezing point. Biggest autumnal (even if calendar summer yet) cliff-dive in many years, from a seasonal low-to-date of 43 down to this morning's 32. (In 1983 in Ft.Kent we'd not dropped below 40 into mid-Sept, then came an unforecast 25 - could've used the green tomatoes for bocce.)

Congrats. I checked but nothing close to freezing on the truck at 38F. Excessive dew though, looked like it rained.

It'll be interesting to see how the next two weeks go....Mount Mansfield's record late freeze is October 2nd, 2010 (same year of SLK's previous record, must've been a warm fall in 2010) but I could see us threatening that this year if we don't get a good solid sub 0C H85 temps into the region soon.  MMNV1 doesn't radiate, so it needs to a good cold airmass aloft.  One that can support snow.

Archived