Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Grade the Winter of 2014-2015

SR Airglow

52 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the winter of 2014-2015?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

although GON had 70 plus this year, but yea some perspective is nice. Personally I judge my winter by mby not PFs, Wills or Codfishermans

With the available information to track events and interact with others in the region during an event...it is hard to isolate one's BY and grade it that way.

I generally try and avoid comparing too, but if you miss something epic by a narrow margin, I can see how it is hard not affect the perception of the winter. Especially when you miss out in the "wrong direction"...places that normally get less snow, end up with more. So it's understandable that some people give a lot of weight to that. I personally would probably drive myself crazy doing that, but different strokes for different folks.

It was an awesome winter...not my favorite but top 3 for sure. I'd probably choose 2000-2001 and 1992-1993 over this winter for my personal favorites.

With the available information to track events and interact with others in the region during an event...it is hard to isolate one's BY and grade it that way.

I generally try and avoid comparing too, but if you miss something epic by a narrow margin, I can see how it is hard not affect the perception of the winter. Especially when you miss out in the "wrong direction"...places that normally get less snow, end up with more. So it's understandable that some people give a lot of weight to that. I personally would probably drive myself crazy doing that, but different strokes for different folks.

It was an awesome winter...not my favorite but top 3 for sure. I'd probably choose 2000-2001 and 1992-1993 over this winter for my personal favorites.

it's often obvious to me who on this forum really don't understand what being screwed in Winter really means.

the only thing i disagree with HV on is that i think the upper valley could jackpot in a more coastal hugger scenario....i think they could get a 30 inch bomb...a coastal hugger that then stalls and slowly drifts ese

as long as I have been alive and the hundreds of trips I made up the old and new 91 through SPFD it's always been a minimum area compared to surrounding areas, it's the topographic nature of the area.

I grade it completely on how it works out for snowmobiling. I like snow, I like cold but if I can't snowmobile then I might as well live somewhere that I can golf year round.  That's why this time of year is my least favorite.  Even if it's nice, what am I going to do?  Enjoy the nice view of the mud I have from my living room window?

It's human nature to be disappointed when you miss an event by miles. If I was rain and blue hill was 20", yeah it would be a bummer. December '92 was a big letdown for sure. March '01 a close second. Only speaking for MBY. In the grand scheme, both (especially '92) were incredible storms in general.

I grade it completely on how it works out for snowmobiling. I like snow, I like cold but if I can't snowmobile then I might as well live somewhere that I can golf year round.  That's why this time of year is my least favorite.  Even if it's nice, what am I going to do?  Enjoy the nice view of the mud I have from my living room window?

lol, Man you and i are on the same page as far as this goes

I grade it completely on how it works out for snowmobiling. I like snow, I like cold but if I can't snowmobile then I might as well live somewhere that I can golf year round. That's why this time of year is my least favorite. Even if it's nice, what am I going to do? Enjoy the nice view of the mud I have from my living room window?

fishing is my mud season activity before softball season kicks in

how can anyone judge their own winter by what other people got? Some of you need to live on the southern coast for a couple of winters

I don't know. I'm just saying if someone didn't spend the winter in that person's location, they shouldn't try to convince them it was better/worse because they didn't experience it.

It's human nature to be disappointed when you miss an event by miles. If I was rain and blue hill was 20", yeah it would be a bummer. December '92 was a big letdown for sure. March '01 a close second. Only speaking for MBY. In the grand scheme, both (especially '92) were incredible storms in general.

of course but if you still rocked 125-150 % above normal snow that shouldn't affect your overall winter grade. I miss more than I get just my climo, others get more than they miss. Angst I guess is a relative term.

of course but if you still rocked 125-150 % above normal snow that shouldn't affect your overall winter grade. I miss more than I get just my climo, others get more than they miss. Angst I guess is a relative term.

Well it's a personal grade so I wouldn't say someone should or shouldn't grade the way they do. I actually like to see how people grade it.

Well it's a personal grade so I wouldn't say someone should or shouldn't grade the way they do. I actually like to see how people grade it.

of course and I posted that before ,interesting to see others grade their winter on what they missed not what they got. If I did that my entire school career would be like a 1.82 GPA

Based on what?

It is subjective criteria so if someone weights missign a couple big storms by 20 miles very heavily, then of course it is going to bring their winter grade down.

You can think that is a strange way to grade winter...that's fine, but there's no rules to grading it. People who hate snow and cold probably give this winter an F.

Based on what?

It is subjective criteria so if someone weights missign a couple big storms by 20 miles very heavily, then of course it is going to bring their winter grade down.

You can think that is a strange way to grade winter...that's fine, but there's no rules to grading it. People who hate snow and cold probably give this winter an F.

see my above post, people can do anything but c'mon let's be real. When asking about a winter grade it is assumed that people will be. 1) winter lovers 2) grading their winter based on their backyard versus previous winters not wether Will stole their snow.

although GON had 70 plus this year, but yea some perspective is nice. Personally I judge my winter by mby not PFs, Wills or Codfishermans

Exactly. I don't understand why anyone would grade it differently.

I suppose if you were to somehow add blown forecasts in the mix, that might play a role into some people's thinking.  For example, I think Forky's area was foretasted to get hit much harder by the blizzard within 48 hours than what actually transpired.  Personally, I wouldn't grade a winter by that, but maybe some do.

Edit:  I do agree that there is part of our psyche that plays a role in our emotions to some degree of storms that were "missed" or such nonsense.  There's part of all of us (snow lovers) that wants to jackpot for every storm.  When you're passionate about something like this, such is par for the course, and if people say otherwise than I would say they may be full of sh.it.  But for more than obvious reasons, jackpotting for every storm is just not a reasonable request or expectation.

see my above post, people can do anything but c'mon let's be real. When asking about a winter grade it is assumed that people will be. 1) winter lovers 2) grading their winter based on their backyard versus previous winters not wether Will stole their snow.

If people hate missing snow by narrow margins, then they will not grade their winter like you or I...that's just the nature of subjective discussion like this.

If we were in the time of no internet or even TV...then you'd probably not factor that in since you'd have no idea that 20 miles east of you got an extra 2 feet until the newspaper was delivered to you on the Pony Express. But interaction on the forums and tracking the storms is a huge part of enjoyment for some and if missing out on the storm sours their experience, then they will bring the grade down. It's understandable...even if I personally don't weight it that heavily.

If people hate missing snow by narrow margins, then they will not grade their winter like you or I...that's just the nature of subjective discussion like this.

If we were in the time of no internet or even TV...then you'd probably not factor that in since you'd have no idea that 20 miles east of you got an extra 2 feet until the newspaper was delivered to you on the Pony Express. But interaction on the forums and tracking the storms is a huge part of enjoyment for some and if missing out on the storm sours their experience, then they will bring the grade down. It's understandable...even if I personally don't weight it that heavily.

But you got in on some of the truly historic snows.

I really think there are two things...there's just missing out on a snowstorm or two. But then there is missing out on like a 1 in multiple hundred year stretch of winter weather by a narrow margin.

This year is a bit different in that regard. Like missing in 2012-2013 didn't seem to matter to most, but you're talking about 2 different scenarios...western SNE could top this winter in the next 3 years, while eastern SNE saw once in a lifetime period of winter weather. That's not just missing one storm.

No one can expect those two areas to have the same grades on winter.

It is for myself, And we missed plenty that was weighted into the grade as well, But was not the sole reason for it

It is for myself, And we missed plenty that was weighted into the grade as well, But was not the sole reason for it

Feb 14-15 was rough there...the models kept destroying the ME coast with like 20 inches of snow...and some areas got a coating....brutal.

That storm was weird from the start though...the mid-levels always looked awesome for SNE with a 700 low over ACK/MVY...not typically the type of setup that gives Bangor, ME like 2 feet of snow.

Feb 14-15 was rough there...the models kept destroying the ME coast with like 20 inches of snow...and some areas got a coating....brutal.

That storm was weird from the start though...the mid-levels always looked awesome for SNE with a 700 low over ACK/MVY...not typically the type of setup that gives Bangor, ME like 2 feet of snow.

Yeah, We got 2" from that one, Right up even inside 24 hrs on most of the models it had us getting hit hard, The GGEM was the most bullish on this area seeing very little and that was for several runs and it ended up being right, The remainder of the season was subpar from that point on as well

Yeah, We got 2" from that one, Right up even inside 24 hrs on most of the models it had us getting hit hard, The GGEM was the most bullish on this area seeing very little and that was for several runs and it ended up being right, The remainder of the season was subpar from that point on as well

Well you got nailed in the big jan blizzard. That has to count for something. At least you didn't miss that.

Well you got nailed in the big jan blizzard. That has to count for something. At least you didn't miss that.

Yes, That was included in the 7 day stretch of 49" here, But like i said, We received less then 30" the rest of the way over 15 events, If i was living in Eastport, We would need an A++ category

Archived