Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Grade the Winter of 2014-2015

SR Airglow

52 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the winter of 2014-2015?

Nah, the last thing that we need are more God's country posters. If they offer up legit concerns they get labeled an "Eyore" by the eastern majority. If they pull a Pete and talk about how amazing the lifestyle/snows can be out this way, they're seen as bragging.

It's a no-win situation for us, I don't wish this fate upon anybody.

False on that, but there is only one true Eyore.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, the last thing that we need are more God's country posters. If they offer up legit concerns they get labeled an "Eyore" by the eastern majority. If they pull a Pete and talk about how amazing the lifestyle/snows can be out this way, they're seen as bragging.

It's a no-win situation for us, I don't wish this fate upon anybody.

I would trade living in the Winter here for the Berks in a second, summer nope. I see your point, the SNE forum has always been EMA centric only because of numbers, higher density of peeps posting. I do envy the truly rural lifestyle though.

Since I grade winters on a curve, I gotta go with a C+ here. While 84" isn't a bad total and is a foot above normal, a big part of my grade is based on how well I perform relative to others in the region. Losing out to areas that average less snow (i.e. Boston and the South Shore) than you do sucks and will hurt the grade considerably. Besides, having a 1-2 mile -SN and a dim sun/moon poking through the clouds while areas to the east get smoked is not pleasant. Maximum depth was about 21", which is respectable but not incredible. I broke 30" in early February 2011.

On the plus side, we had persistent snow cover from about Thanksgiving until less than a week ago with only a short break around the Holidays after the December rains. The cold was persistent, but not incredible in terms of magnitude. The minimum temperature for the winter was -14° F. I had -19° in January 2005.

Largest single storm snowfall was 12.5" on 11/26.

In sum, this winter was not unlike the past 2 where we have missed out on the goods while the coastal plain gets hammered.

If I had 84" and was near a relative maximum, I would've graded the winter a B+. Hopefully next winter produces for W MA and S VT.

there have been plenty of winters back this way with 65-80 inch totals and thats back when SNOW WASNT MEASURED EVERY SIX HOURS!!! really the 68 inches i measured would be closer to 60 in the old days....again the avg is close to 50 done many years with the more antiquated measuring tecniques....HV is right there is no way to give this area back to eny and berks anything that high...its obvious some of you unicornians think i went low but as ctvalley stated some of us are still reeling from the exhaust effects and when the big storm is a foot, well big deal when there were several gargantuan events just to the east

the blizzard was a devastating event. spending countless days tracking a potentially historic storm that gets pulled out from under you at the very last minute, watching that dry slot rip up through the valley in the morning while the eastern areas we're getting pounded was particularly sickening. Despite all the highlights of this winter, that event alone pretty much guaranteed that I would not give this winter a better grade unless another event of that magnitude would have delivered the goods.

I'd go B.... solid for cold and long duration snow on the ground starting back in November. 

But we can do better and more exciting no doubt.  Overall it was a pretty boring stretch after December up here.  Weeks of cold and 2-4" arctic sandstorms do not excite me, haha.

Pretty much share the same thoughts as most on here outside of ESNE. 

I'd go B.... solid for cold and long duration snow on the ground starting back in November.

But we can do better and more exciting no doubt.

Pretty much share the same thoughts as most on here outside of ESNE.

It's all subjective, but I think most offer a fair reason. I was more curious about Dryslot's grade.

It's all subjective, but I think most offer a fair reason. I was more curious about Dryslot's grade.

It all comes down to what aspect you enjoy most about the weather.  Frankly, if I lived in a large city, I would probably be among those who would just as soon see it melt as soon as possible after it falls.  Living where I do and having the hobbies that I do, I naturally have a different perspective on what makes a good winter. 

It all comes down to what aspect you enjoy most about the weather. Frankly, if I lived in a large city, I would probably be among those who would just as soon see it melt as soon as possible after it falls. Living where I do and having the hobbies that I do, I naturally have a different perspective on what makes a good winter.

Of course I don't want it to melt, but I generally go by what's realistic and start from there. I will say it was pretty awesome to do deep winter activities comparable to your area. Not too often you can say that. But, such is life here in the winter. Fairly variable.

Yeah it is all subjective...which is why I never understand when folks who didn't experience a winter in a given spot, try to convince the person living there that winter was better/worse than they graded it, haha.

At least he admitted the jackpot fetish....that definitely is an aspect that is important to some winter lovers.

Yeah he was honest in his disdain for losing out to coastal areas at least, which I know exists for some in the interior.

I think the one winter where I really would probably be disappointed if the shoe was on the other foot, would be 2000-2001. That is coming again eventually.

Yeah he was honest in his disdain for losing out to coastal areas at least, which I know exists for some in the interior.

I think the one winter where I really would probably be disappointed if the shoe was on the other foot, would be 2000-2001. That is coming again eventually.

What did you guys have for snow that winter?

the blizzard was a devastating event. spending countless days tracking a potentially historic storm that gets pulled out from under you at the very last minute, watching that dry slot rip up through the valley in the morning while the eastern areas we're getting pounded was particularly sickening. Despite all the highlights of this winter, that event alone pretty much guaranteed that I would not give this winter a better grade unless another event of that magnitude would have delivered the goods.

i knew i wasnt the only one who felt this way, it was awful !

the busy period in 10-11 was way more fun and thats with the boxing day debcle and missing the real meat of the late jan event

So you must have been disappointed when Kevin got over 100" just to your SE in 2012-2013. Your area can be tough at times for a snow lover.

yes the firehose situation was brutal but it was one event, i expect him to be up to 25-30 inches ahead of me in a busy winter plus his elevation helps a lot even in non obvious events....firehose was second worst bc low lands east and south of valley had up to and over a foot while we had three inches on grassy surfaces tops

Archived