Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Grade the Winter of 2014-2015

SR Airglow

52 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the winter of 2014-2015?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pros:

Multiple 12+ storms

Blizzard that produced 2'

Consistent cold Jan-March

Epic stretch late Jan through mid Feb

Well above normal snowfall

Epic turnaround

Deep snow cover

Cons:

Horrific stretch around Christmas

Summary:

I will probably do a more in depth reflection after everyone has a chance to enjoy some warmth and look back in like June or July. However, epic stretch with 3x climo snowfall.... Most since the blizzard late Jan... Nothing more to say really.

The 60s and July like dews on Christmas eve and Christmas keep this from an A+. Also the stretch leading up to Christmas that lacked any type of typical holiday weather. Snow on the holiday is important, and it is reflected in a half letter grade deduction.

Final grade: A

I am, Its all about the pack and retention, Otherwise meh

Well I only say that because of climo. Of course it's awesome when it is around, but I'd rather a large snow event vs 45 days of 10"+ OTG or something like that.  Maybe it would be different if I had a snow mobile.

Well I only say that because of climo. Of course it's awesome when it is around, but I'd rather a large snow event vs 45 days of 10"+ OTG or something like that. Maybe it would be different if I had a snow mobile.

It would be if you were up here in NNE, It is really what it's all about, Retaining the pack with reinforcing storms, I could not deal with snow just to be gone a few days later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B+. too long of a stretch at the beginning with no snow and then too many near misses to the East despite the solid above average seasonal snowfall and record cold for me to give it an A in this area.

Same here, one town over.

The epic cold February was definitely the highpoint for me this winter.

It would be if you were up here in NNE, It is really what it's all about, Retaining the pack with reinforcing storms, I could not deal with snow just to be gone a few days later

Sent from my iPhone

Well it's not like it will be gone in a few days...just learn to live with bare ground at times. 

I will say, it's really annoying to see something like 20"+ melt rather quickly vs something like 6" melting. Only because it takes time and effort to build something robust like that.  

Well it's not like it will be gone in a few days...just learn to live with bare ground at times.

I will say, it's really annoying to see something like 20"+ melt rather quickly vs something like 6" melting. Only because it takes time and effort to build something robust like that.

I agree, That's why I prefer snowfall in the 7-10:1 ratio range, It has more staying power, That is where we had issues this season with retaining the pack, A lot more storms in the 12-15:1 range with low moisture content because of the amount of cold

What is Weymouths seasonal avg for snowfall?

When I grade winter, I look for duration of snow pack ( ie. How long snow is OTG), as well as total cumulative snowfall. Outside of the incredible + historic Jan. 24- Feb. 22 period, there was much to be desired here in Northern MA. All of December, Most of Jan, and much of March were snowless. December was far removed from anything wintry, and March had many misses especially going south of the Pike.

But, the month of February was so Rediculously cold and snowy and fulfilled my wildest dreams of a weenie winter, that I had to grade this winter with generosity. February made up for everything that December, Most of Jan., and all of March couldn't provide. And so, I voted an 'A' for this winter.

I'm gonna say B+ here.

I've had snow in my yard from Thanksgiving through today, where there were still a few natural piles left in shady spots before last night's sleet/snow.

Record cold, too.

It's wierd. I mean, if I got almost 80" and everybody else was near average too, I'd be more apt to give the winter an A. ...but because we missed out on just about every major event, I gotta deduct some points. It's not like I'm upset that we didn't jackpot. I'm upset that we busted low on just about every storm.

In fact, purely subjective B+ might even be high. Let's see what others near me grade it at.

I agree, That's why I prefer snowfall in the 7-10:1 ratio range, It has more staying power, That is where we had issues this season with retaining the pack, A lot more storms in the 12-15:1 range with low moisture content because of the amount of cold

Sent from my iPhone

The big difference between our winter at this location and your part of ME was the December wet snow event. I think I got 16" or so. It was a really heavy, dense snow that froze into a base that never really went away, even with the Christmas Grinch storm. Even though we never got another big storm, outside of the picnic tables, we retains what we did get. I can still ride with about a 20 minute trailer. Up until last Thursday, I could have ridden my from house through a couple of scratchy spots and been in good snow in about 15 minutes. We have had a stellar snowmobile season, golf is looking iffy right now though.

I give it an A-, overall. A/A+ for portions of eastern Massachusetts, more like B+ for far western SNE, where snowfall amounts were above average, but not by nearly as much further northeast. It was obviously one of the coldest January to March periods on record, but the other thing holding me back from giving a solid A was the December mediocrity.

B

20% above average snowfall but DJM all coming in below normal with Thanksgiving really being what pushed us above normal.

Single biggest storm total being 14" which is paltry compared to ORH east. Impressive cold but short pond skating season due to Dec/Jan slop storms.

Ski season was nothing special in W MA and S VT, a few powder days but brutal cold and lots of hard pack days.

There has been one March in 7 years with at or above normal snowfall here! That drought has to end soon.

I'll take my chances with SWFE or coastal huggers thanks.

The big difference between our winter at this location and your part of ME was the December wet snow event. I think I got 16" or so. It was a really heavy, dense snow that froze into a base that never really went away, even with the Christmas Grinch storm. Even though we never got another big storm, outside of the picnic tables, we retains what we did get. I can still ride with about a 20 minute trailer. Up until last Thursday, I could have ridden my from house through a couple of scratchy spots and been in good snow in about 15 minutes. We have had a stellar snowmobile season, golf is looking iffy right now though.

Yeah the heavy wet base is what really sets up the riding season, if you do not get that, Then you need to keep getting refresher storms to maintain snow to be able to continue grooming, That is where we fell short in this area which made for a shorter season

I'm gonna say B+ here.

I've had snow in my yard from Thanksgiving through today, where there were still a few natural piles left in shady spots before last night's sleet/snow.

Record cold, too.

It's wierd. I mean, if I got almost 80" and everybody else was near average too, I'd be more apt to give the winter an A. ...but because we missed out on just about every major event, I gotta deduct some points. It's not like I'm upset that we didn't jackpot. I'm upset that we busted low on just about every storm.

In fact, purely subjective B+ might even be high. Let's see what others near me grade it at.

We're on the same page, winter just did not impress out here aside from wire to wire cold.

Just need to hear from MPM but you already know he's gonna' roll low with a C. lol

Really wish we had more posters from NW MA, S VT or SW NH to back us up in the winter.

What is Weymouths seasonal avg for snowfall?

That's a good question. I know the guy just east of me in Hingham is near 50". He was 48.6" as of 2012 since 1960...might be a bit over 50 now, but that also encompasses probably more snowier decades vs decades not so snowier. My long term guess is probably near 45". However, the variance is extremely high. 

B+. too long of a stretch at the beginning with no snow and then too many near misses to the East despite the solid above average seasonal snowfall and record cold for me to give it an A in this area.

Same here, one town over.

The epic cold February was definitely the highpoint for me this winter.

Yup, impossible for anyone W of Ct River to go above a B/B+ this winter and if you were N of the Pike and W of Ct River a B was generous.

That's a good question. I know the guy just east of me in Hingham is near 50". He was 48.6" as of 2012 since 1960...might be a bit over 50 now, but that also encompasses probably more snowier decades vs decades not so snowier. My long term guess is probably near 45". However, the variance is extremely high. 

Wow, No wonder you had an epic winter, I would be A+ as well if i was that high a percentage over avg no matter the case

Yup, impossible for anyone W of Ct River to go above a B/B+ this winter and if you were N of the Pike and W of Ct River a B was generous.

You look at the ones that graded A's or better, Its easy to see the areas that reaped the bennys this winter, If i lived on the mid coast or DE Maine up here, I would be in the A+ category

You look at the ones that graded A's or better, Its easy to see the areas that reaped the bennys this winter, If i lived on the mid coast or DE Maine up here, I would be in the A+ category

I think it's great that people had A+ winters but some must accept the fact that was not the case for much of New England.

I think it's great that people had A+ winters but some must accept the fact that was not the case for much of New England.

I think its awesome for some as well, But that's the difference from one region to the next, Up here we are use to retention of a base and snow pack from year to year, When you lose one of those elements, No matter what amount falls, Its short of what is a normal or above normal for a season, Up here this year, It was the 7 week period of meh, Otherwise if we would have continued the pace of late Jan early Feb, It would have been one of the top one or two seasons

Yeah, I'm not calling anyone out I just think in the excitement of the epic February for E SNE it was almost taboo to gripe. Although some took griping to the extreme also.

Trust me, I understand how it goes. I do like to ask why people grade certain ways though. Just curious.

We're on the same page, winter just did not impress out here aside from wire to wire cold.

Just need to hear from MPM but you already know he's gonna' roll low with a C. lol

Really wish we had more posters from NW MA, S VT or SW NH to back us up in the winter.

Nah, the last thing that we need are more God's country posters. If they offer up legit concerns they get labeled an "Eyore" by the eastern majority. If they pull a Pete and talk about how amazing the lifestyle/snows can be out this way, they're seen as bragging.

It's a no-win situation for us, I don't wish this fate upon anybody.

Archived