Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 8-10 Severe threat

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks - makes sense. 

Still in my 'baby' learning stage here... but getting used to some of the US 'lingo' is one of the harder parts! 

welcome. and you picked a good day to learn, and some of the better teachers on the net on this board. hopefully you have a radar source to follow along (GR2 or GR3, Stormlab, radarscope, py3kl, or something similar). the next 48 hours will be quite the learning experience.

welcome. and you picked a good day to learn, and some of the better teachers on the net on this board. hopefully you have a radar source to follow along (GR2 or GR3, Stormlab, radarscope, py3kl, or something similar). the next 48 hours will be quite the learning experience.

Thanks.

I don't have any radar as such. I'm just using the TVN weather radar, following chasers and then google searching 'live weather stream' to a local or big city in relation to a warned storm. Can you push me towards anything that you think may help me or bring me closer to the action? I have been actively following storms over the last few seasons, but just at the beginning of this season in particular I have been starting to look at charts, following daily forecasts for locations such as Oklahoma City, Kansas City, St Louis, Birmingham, Joplin etc as actually seeing forecasts makes things much easier for me. 

:)

Thanks.

I don't have any radar as such. I'm just using the TVN weather radar, following chasers and then google searching 'live weather stream' to a local or big city in relation to a warned storm. Can you push me towards anything that you think may help me or bring me closer to the action? I have been actively following storms over the last few seasons, but just at the beginning of this season in particular I have been starting to look at charts, following daily forecasts for locations such as Oklahoma City, Kansas City, St Louis, Birmingham, Joplin etc as actually seeing forecasts makes things much easier for me. 

:)

well, for starters, until you can get a more specific radar app like i mentioned, you should head over to places like the "weather underground (www.wunderground.com) and hit the link for the local radars. that way you could get a better look, on a cell by cell basis on what you're looking at.

as for the weather charts, the guys and gals in here will post them as they see something significant. in other parts of the chatboard, I think there's a thread showing all the links to the weather data we look at. i won't go into all of them here, given the severe nature of the event. but when it calms down, i'm sure everyone here could take you through the process better.

best thing to do is follow along for now, and hopefully when there is time, everyone in here could give a bit more of a detailed description of what they're seeing, for educational purposes. but it'll be an interesting ride for sure.

btw, do you have any meteorological training there in the UK (college/university level, or even pilot's level), or not too much? that way it'll help to know what starting point.

well, for starters, until you can get a more specific radar app like i mentioned, you should head over to places like the "weather underground (www.wunderground.com) and hit the link for the local radars. that way you could get a better look, on a cell by cell basis on what you're looking at.

as for the weather charts, the guys and gals in here will post them as they see something significant. in other parts of the chatboard, I think there's a thread showing all the links to the weather data we look at. i won't go into all of them here, given the severe nature of the event. but when it calms down, i'm sure everyone here could take you through the process better.

best thing to do is follow along for now, and hopefully when there is time, everyone in here could give a bit more of a detailed description of what they're seeing, for educational purposes. but it'll be an interesting ride for sure.

btw, do you have any meteorological training there in the UK (college/university level, or even pilot's level), or not too much? that way it'll help to know what starting point.

I have used Wunderground before.. perhaps, if you wouldn't mind, when the weather calms down stateside on Friday, I could send you a private PM/message and give you a little bit more insight as to where I am, a little bit more about my situation and interests?

That would be fantastic, I will be sure to take a look around all the data. I just had a little check around some of your radar suggestions. I'll look more in depth at some of those. Sadly for me, the time differences are quite tough. It's 10.47pm here...I have work each morning, so I tend to drift offline in around an hour and 15 minutes, normally just as things are starting to get very interesting! 

Thanks again.

I have used Wunderground before.. perhaps, if you wouldn't mind, when the weather calms down stateside on Friday, I could send you a private PM/message and give you a little bit more insight as to where I am, a little bit more about my situation and interests?

That would be fantastic, I will be sure to take a look around all the data. I just had a little check around some of your radar suggestions. I'll look more in depth at some of those. Sadly for me, the time differences are quite tough. It's 10.47pm here...I have work each morning, so I tend to drift offline in around an hour and 15 minutes, normally just as things are starting to get very interesting! 

Thanks again.

no problem. and as for the time difference, think of it this way, you're actual time is what we use to "synchronize the watches" on the weather data here stateside across the continent. :)

no problem. and as for the time difference, think of it this way, you're actual time is what we use to "synchronize the watches" on the weather data here stateside across the continent. :)

Thanks Jim! Will contact you over the weekend. 

Enjoy the weather, hope everyone stays safe!

It would appear from the NAM models, throughout the day tomorrow from about 9PM this evening to about 10am tomorrow morning, we will see different episodes of thunderstorms moving through the area, until the big one around 4 or 5pm. Could these earlier storms in anyway impede the progressing storm line as it comes into N. IL, or would it "help" further develop the thunderstorms as they enter the KLOT CWA ? 

upper 30s and fog, classic pre-outbreak weather

Gotta love these awesome temp gradient extremes over northern IL this time of year.  

Something that should help you guys tomorrow will be winds should eventually become near due southerly shortly before main convective line/band or whatever makes it there early evening.  You could easily jump up 20+ degrees as that shallow marine layer mixes out.  All gonna depend on how far north the synoptic warm front is allowed to get in regards to morning/early afternoon convection.  

It is interesting that the models simulated reflectivities continues to depict a string of pearls, never really going linear.

Interesting and rather concerning.  I am worried that the warm front that's been hanging over central IL/IN the past several days may not blast that far north on Thursday as expected and really ramp up the svr chances down here.  We have three precip clusters this Wed evening in Ohio, near St. Louis, and in south central KS basically along the front and a 994 mb low in se CO. as a surface reflection of the trough.

It is interesting that the models simulated reflectivities continues to depict a string of pearls, never really going linear.

Several runs in a row of that has me concerned about tomorrow for around here. I can confidently say this is the 2nd most impressive synoptic severe setup after 11/17/13 for the region since I moved out here in July 2010. I honestly have a bit of an uneasy feeling about tomorrow's potential. A good way to think of tomorrow is we'll have cool season dynamics and shear but late spring to early summer instability, also aided by very steep lapse rates. If it doesn't produce widespread severe weather and a few to several tornadoes within the LOT CWA, it'll be because mesoscale factors that have yet to be ironed out came together to make it less conducive, but the synoptic setup is often as good as they come around here. I suspect even if it's not bad here, somewhere in the subforum will have a rough day.

Archived