joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21 storm observations

dmillz25

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Measurements are taken on snowboards, not roads. Snow lost to melting on roads makes zero difference in total accums.

Yep. Nearing 3 inches here outside of Philly. Roads still just wet but It's still going in my yearly snow totals. Way better this way too. No traffic accidents, little shoveling. I wish everything storm was like this.

Exactly and i dont know why everyone makes such a fuss about snow not sticking on the streets. Even dead of winter there is always less on the streets than your grass. 

Exactly and i dont know why everyone makes such a fuss about snow not sticking on the streets. Even dead of winter there is always less on the streets than your grass. 

Because a major aspect to winter storms is their ability to impact travel. If a foot of snow fell and it didn't accumulate one bit on roads, do you think the public would nearly care as much as they would about 4" on the highway?

Because a major aspect to winter storms is their ability to impact travel. If a foot of snow fell and it didn't accumulate one bit on roads, do you think the public would nearly care as much as they would about 4" on the highway?

That isnt the discussion, the discussion was models showing accumulations and melting. What the public cares about doesnt matter in that context.

The snow will accumulate on the roads in the next 4-5 hours.

Probably sooner.

It's down to 31 degrees here in Northern Queens and I see hints of pavement accumulations now.

Measurements are taken on snowboards, not roads. Snow lost to melting on roads makes zero difference in total accums.

Exactly. I think it was the March 2013 storm where 5 fell in central NJ but you couldn't tell by what was left by the end of the storm, since so much melted. There was still good cover but not 5 inches worth. It was gone by the next evening IIRC.

That isnt the discussion, the discussion was models showing accumulations and melting. What the public cares about doesnt matter in that context.

Saturn's lack of understanding of why people care about accumulations on roads has no bearing on the context of your discussion. He didn't understand, I explained why. The greater discussion is irrelevant to the subtopic.

Route 202 in Bridgewater has some slush accumulating, to keep this post relevant to the discussion.

Archived