Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21 storm observations

dmillz25

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just measured 1.5" 335 pm. Union, NJ.

Well, he is also correct at the moment, people are reporting 3 down there. I still have people here saying it is mostly over by 7. I give up. And the ones downplaying this for our area are the pros. So is the storm quitting by evening or what?

Guest Pamela

Port Jefferson 3:45 PM   Temp 29.8 F Dewpoint 27 F / 2.3 inches new snow...its been snowing moderately for at least the last 3 hours.  ...roads just now starting to get covered as the sun's influence all but gone...it sets earlier out here.

Coastal is clearly taking over now as evidenced by the dual pol CC advancing north. Rain might even become an issue and the CC line is now north of ACY.

Heavier precip has already overtaken the boroughs and it's much colder here then down there.

It's easily 1"+ of snow here now on all non-paved surfaces and paved surfaces just about to go white.

Hmm by your logic being the coastal low taking over, that would in theory help stall the advancement northward of the changeover line and perhaps collapse the best frontogenesis southward. But that is not my point, I agree we still have our best hours ahead of us with this storm up north, but it is not hard to see that places like Burlington and Ocean are going to town and are in line to get 5-7"...In fact, I bet we start getting 5" reports from that band by the top of the hour.. They are 32-33 in 30-40dbz snow band, we are 31-33 in much lighter banding. We arent really colder than them, nor does it matter with their rates. 

The guy is a good met..I would hate to see him stop posting here after he expresses his thoughts...let's not run them off

Thanks Allsnow

Hmm by your logic being the coastal low taking over, that would in theory help stall the advancement northward of the changeover line and perhaps collapse the best frontogenesis southward. But that is not my point, I agree we still have our best hours ahead of us with this storm up north, but it is not hard to see that places like Burlington and Ocean are going to town and are in line to get 5-7". They are 32-33 in 30-40dbz snow band, we are 31-33 in much lighter banding. We arent really colder than them, nor does it matter with their rates. 

Thanks Allsnow

We should start seeing a more NNE component shortly.

Latest radar scans might be showing that.

Check out dual pol also. The rain line is steadily heading north. A lot of those echoes will be rain for them.

Guest Pamela

Port Jefferson 3:45 PM   Temp 29.8 F Dewpoint 27 F / 2.3 inches new snow...its been snowing moderately for at least the last 3 hours.  ...roads just now starting to get covered as the sun's influence all but gone...it sets earlier out here.

Just pouring snow Port Jefferson 4 PM...now passed 62.5" on the winter. 

We should start seeing a more NNE component shortly.

Latest radar scans might be showing that.

Check out dual pol also. The rain line is steadily heading north. A lot of those echoes will be rain for them.

Njwinter i agree with you that somewhere in central jersey is goig to jp. I dont agree that its a specialfor them. Cut essex county in half. South half and south of there should get somewhere close to snj.

We will get our best rates when that happens over the next 2-3 hours  for sure, ag3 mentions the echoes will head northeast, but the back edge will come through by 7 with lighter snows into the eve lingering around...

I do not see these areas changing over to rain here, maybe at the very end after theyve fully thumped

post-402-0-03630800-1426881632_thumb.png

Models have been jackpotting Ocean and Monmouth Counties for 48 hours now. It's no surprise they're getting slammed, but the question will be how wide the heavy accum area is given the slightly warmer temps.

People here kept saying northern central NJ,,,and I saw that on some models posted. I am surprised they are getting slammed down there. Even snowmaps on weather sights showed them getting less than up here. Now I don't follow each model suite the way a lot of folks here do, but just looking at forecasts in no way did I expect Ocean Co to be getting good snows out of this.

Guest Pamela

Just pouring snow Port Jefferson 4 PM...now passed 62.5" on the winter. 

With some snow activity lasting well into the wee hours of the morning, it is becoming increasingly likely that parts of Long Island see 8 and maybe locally as much as 10 inches out of this thing. 

Again, the only thing I said was that this is a special for the Monmouth/Ocean/Burlington crew in that band where they will jackpot...Never said we are busting here. Some will ask what my point was for saying that in the first place? Well, I was noticing a 35dbz band sitting over an area on radar and noting that they are getting crushed more than us...That is all.

With some snow activity lasting well into the wee hours of the morning, it is becoming increasingly likely that parts of Long Island see 8 and maybe locally as much as 10 inches out of this thing. 

I keep reading that we will be done by 6 or 7 with the best snows. Maybe your area will be different. I am just west of SI.

Again, the only thing I said was that this is a special for the Monmouth/Ocean/Burlington crew in that band where they will jackpot...Never said we are busting here. Some will ask what my point was for saying that in the first place? Well, I was noticing a 35dbz band sitting over an area on radar and noting that they are getting crushed more than us...That is all.

I didn't see anything wrong with your post.

Guest Pamela

I keep reading that we will be done by 6 or 7 with the best snows. Maybe your area will be different. I am just west of SI.

It will eventually slacken...but there are indications it will linger out here...light snow for 6 to 8 more hours...even at 1/4 inch to a 1/3 of an inch per hour that can tack on 2 or 3 extra inches. 

Models have been jackpotting Ocean and Monmouth Counties for 48 hours now. It's no surprise they're getting slammed, but the question will be how wide the heavy accum area is given the slightly warmer temps.

Most data had the jackpotting north of the areas getting it right now...more north central and not burlington. I for one sided with the thought theyd heavily overperform in philly-burlington-ocean area versus what nws had...it was all bsaed on them not turning to rain really, every model had the heavier qpf to the south, so this shouldnt be surprising

3 inches in Colts Neck. These are 1 inch plus per hour rates . All roads are snow covered.

Archived