Welcome to American Weather
ApacheTrout

Space Weather Discussion

517 posts in this topic

KP index a 5 so I went to the top of the hill for a look.  Definite brightening on the north horizon but with the naked eye I could not make out any detail.  Need to be able to see to fairly low to the north to notice.  Moon rises around 9pm which will probably kill anything after that....

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

23231611_10155244089114685_6394547134259

This is their shot from last night. They said it was brief and it doesn't appear it was super bright.

Looking at that shot I am trying to figure out the city light sources.  To the extreme right must be Berlin.  Maybe Littleton on the left?  Then on the far horizon that must be Montreal.  Years ago I did a winter overnight edu trip at the summit.  A noreaster was developing down in the mid-Atlantic and the cirrus shield had made it over SNE.  Boston's lights were quite visible reflecting up to the underside of the clouds.  Actually, this would be a neat question to the observers.  If a cirrus shield was over NYC would they be able to see the cirrus lit that far away.  I think it would be possible. For some reason the "how far can you see"  question has always interested me.

Edit.  Maybe the horizon lights are Burlington?

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Looking at that shot I am trying to figure out the city light sources.  To the extreme right must be Berlin.  Maybe Littleton on the left?  Then on the far horizon that must be Montreal.  Years ago I did a winter overnight edu trip at the summit.  A noreaster was developing down in the mid-Atlantic and the cirrus shield had made it over SNE.  Boston's lights were quite visible reflecting up to the underside of the clouds.  Actually, this would be a neat question to the observers.  If a cirrus shield was over NYC would they be able to see the cirrus lit that far away.  I think it would be possible. For some reason the "how far can you see"  question has always interested me.

Edit.  Maybe the horizon lights are Burlington?

I think the really bright lights on the far horizon toward the middle are from Montreal with Burlington as you said to the left side of the pic on the far horizon. As for the bright white lights on the left I am not sure.