joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

Guest Pamela

Ski Windham is in the Catskills in NYS. 

We had just over 3" on 4/1/97.

This time of year water freezes at a much lower temperature.  At least I learned something useful from this thread.

:)

Edward, fax all complaints to NWS Albany...since it is from their page the copy 'n paste comes...

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Ski Windham is in the Catskills in NYS. 

We had just over 3" on 4/1/97.

This time of year water freezes at a much lower temperature.  At least I learned something useful from this thread.

:)

Upon further review; there just might be a Windham in Vermont...

http://www.nelsap.org/vt/timber.html

37 Inches at Jewett ............. in East Central New York State

35 Inches at Platte Cove ........ in East Central New York State

33 Inches at Milford ............ in Central Massachusetts

30 Inches at Hopkinton .......... in Eastern Massachusetts

30 Inches at Shrewsbury ......... in Central Massachusetts

30 Inches at Ski Windham ........ in Southwestern Vermont

29 Inches at Prattsville ........ in East Central New York State

28 Inches at Broome ............. in East Central New York State

28 Inches at Burrillville ....... in Northern Rhode Island

28 Inches at Gilboa ............. in East Central New York State

27 Inches at Jaffrey ............ in Southern New Hampshire

26 Inches at Berne .............. in East Central New York State

26 Inches at West Townsend ...... in Eastern Massachusetts

25 Inches at Westerlo ........... in East Central New York State

24 Inches at Christiana ......... in Central Pennsylvania

22 Inches at Worcester .......... in Central Massachusetts

20 Inches at Taunton ............ in Southeastern Massachusetts

18 Inches at Brewster ........... in Southeastern New York State

18 Inches at Carmel ............. in Southeastern New York State

Carmel & Brewster both right near the Putnam / Westchester line.

Yea I remember this one, was in high school. 13" in Armonk, and 7" or so just a few miles south at HPN, was very elevation driven.

Guest Pamela

Yea I remember this one, was in high school. 13" in Armonk, and 7" or so just a few miles south at HPN, was very elevation driven.

Also high spots in northern NJ & CT saw very heavy amounts.

Guest Pamela

Can we possibly keep this thread on topic?

Were a few posts looking back at another early Spring snow event for the sake of comparison soooooooooo difficult to endure that you needed to correct some of us?

I remember that march 31/april 1 1997 storm well...we got 8 inches imby and it was bitter cold that morning plowing...a cruel April fools joke...I believe we had 60s and 70s earlier in the month

I am in central NJ in Woodbridge and I do not recall any storm at all in the area. I know because I was already fishing the bay for flounder. It must have skipped most of northern Middlesex co completely. I remember no storms of significance after 96 until Dec 30 2000. It sounds like we missed a few.

I am in central NJ in Woodbridge and I do not recall any storm at all in the area. I know because I was already fishing the bay for flounder. It must have skipped most of northern Middlesex co completely. I remember no storms of significance after 96 until Dec 30 2000. It sounds like we missed a few.

Had 1.5" here from late afternoon on the 31st till 6 am on the 1st...temp got down to 32 at night but got up to 50 that afternoon and to 70 a couple of days later.

I'm just here for the Warby Parker ads at the bottom anyway.

So we've seen the surface low progs slide S a touch but the precip shield expand N. I think this is a ripe scenario for non accumulating snow. Id go 1-3 northern Philly burbs to Manhattan and Bronx, mainly on unpaved surfaces. Coating elsewhere.

Looks like NAM is about .25 to .30 of precip for NYC. All snow, but of course accum will be lost during the daylight hours with light to mod snow. So what would you say, maybe a slushy inch to inch and a half on colder surfaces according to the NAM?  Anyone have the snow map?

Snowmap has 2-4 inches for the area

Snowmap has 2-4 inches for the area

I find it hard to believe we could get 3 or 4 out of what NAM is showing. Maybe 2 tops. If the snow map is showing 2 to 4, I think you have to cut it in half because of time of year. It would be different if it was night, or heavy snow during the day. But NAM is mod snow at best, and during the daytime.

It would be better if the snow comes down heavier, but the NAM would show accumulating snow. Temps are around 31-32, not all of the snow falls during the afternoon, and temps are cold for a while before snow starts falling. It would struggle to get past an inch or two especially in the city, but I think it would accumulate, especially away from paved ground. But the sun will be a factor if the snow can't get past light intensity.

It's enough on the Nam. You do know that we have seen snow in mid April right?

Different kinds of storms. This is a weak slp

It's enough on the Nam. You do know that we have seen snow in mid April right?

.15LE over a 3hr frame is 1/2" an hour. Not enough in March. Of course it can snow in April. Hell there's no rule that says it can't snow in July, but it had better be a dynamic system. This one isn't.

Archived