Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro looks pretty good.

Warm layer at 925mb goes all the way to NW NJ, that's why SV maps show little or no accumulation within 50 miles of NYC.

The 925 line doesn't get to NYC until hour 60.

Almost nothing falls after hour 60.

The SV maps show little accumulation because they ALWAYS do for the coast during marginal situations. Nothing new. They showed 1"-2" March 5th as well and LGA/NYC jack-potted with 6"-10".

This is a 3"-6"+ event almost locked and loaded. This isn't a "north and west" type of storm. Everyone will see similar accumulations.

North and West will see more snow on pavement and roads but NYC/LI and boroughs will see similar to maybe more (more QPF) on grass and cold surfaces.

some early spring winter snowstorms since 1956...

date.....

3/20-21/1958.....11.8"...coldest temp was 32...wet snow with some mixing...

3/20/1965.............1.7"...3" in Brooklyn...coldest temp was 21...all snow...powder

3/21-22/1964.......4.9"...coldest temp was 32...wet snow started as rain

3/21-22/1967.......9.8"...coldest temp was 28...started as wet snow...

3/22/1998.............5.0"...2" on Staten island...

3/22/1992.............3.2"

3/28-29/1984.......3.3"...coldest temp was 33...wet snow with mixing...

3/28-29/1996.......4.1"...mix at the start to rain ends as snow...

3/29/1970.............4.0"...coldest temp was 21...started as rain...

3/29/1974.............3.2"...started as rain...

4/4/1957...............2.5"...coldest temp was 33...mixing and turning to rain...

4/6/1982...............9.6"...coldest temp was 21...near blizzard...

4/7/2003...............4.0"...7" S.I....coldest temp was 30...all snow...

4/8/1956...............4.2"...coldest temp was 33...wet snow started as rain...

The SV maps show little accumulation because they ALWAYS do for the coast during marginal situations. Nothing new. They showed 1"-2" March 5th as well and LGA/NYC jack-potted with 6"-10".

This is a 3"-6"+ event almost locked and loaded. This isn't a "north and west" type of storm. Everyone will see similar accumulations.

North and West will see more snow on pavement and roads but NYC/LI and boroughs will see similar to maybe more (more QPF) on grass and cold surfaces.

I wouldn't be so confident. Allot more has to go right this time of year. Multiple factors can easily change this to a white rain in the city and immediate coast. Places like the hills of the north shore of the island and anywhere north and west of the immediate city heat island are good to go.

I'm not ready to say cpk is a lock

Could we play have one person do the pbp please? There is a warm tongue, there isn't a warm tongue lol. Is it even showing any accumulations?

There is no warm tongue on the euro until after hour 60, when almost nothing falls.

Period.

I wouldn't be so confident. Allot more has to go right this time of year. Multiple factors can easily change this to a white rain in the city and immediate coast. Places like the hills of the north shore of the island and anywhere north and west of the immediate city heat island are good to go.

I'm not ready to say cpk is a lock

Disagree.

City and parts of the borough will see plenty of accumulations on grass and colder surfaces. I doubt it sticks to the pavement in the immediate city though.

But the snowfall measurements will be similar to most areas.

Who said anything about this being a north and west only event?

I'm not even going to be in the area for this one. 3:30PM flight out of JFK on Friday. Will hopefully get out just in time. I have no skins in this game. It's just an observation that I had regarding the warm layer, and without a sounding it's impossible to confirm exactly where and when it arrives.

Disagree.

City and parts of the borough will see plenty of accumulations on grass and colder surfaces. I doubt it sticks to the pavement in the immediate city though.

But the snowfall measurements will be similar to most areas.

NYC heat island has been on fire lately with cpk 15 or more above surrounding areas!

If 35 vs 33 is the difference between white rain and several inches watch out cpk. It's that time of year

I always have to laugh when I see posts saying "3-6" locked and loaded" when the situation is still changing. I agree that there may be a good amount of snow but you can't just ignore the mid or low level 0c lines.

Most people are hopeful there is no more snow so they would appreciate warm layers.

NYC heat island has been on fire lately with cpk 15 or more above surrounding areas!

If 35 vs 33 is the difference between white rain and several inches watch out cpk. It's that time of year

Good thing I dont live in Times Square.

The outer boroughs will do fine.

Most people are hopeful there is no more snow so they would appreciate warm layers.

I'm one of those people, although it would be a nice way to end winter, I built a new house and was suppose to have my driveway poured and walkways cemented this coming week, along with the fact my entire yard isn't graded or seeded so it's a mud disaster lol

I always have to laugh when I see posts saying "3-6" locked and loaded" when the situation is still changing. I agree that there may be a good amount of snow but you can't just ignore the mid or low level 0c lines.

Yeah Jim. Because I have been hyping and make things up.

I am very confident in a 3"-6+ event for all of the area.

Looking at all the latest 12z model suites, this looks like a solid 4-6 inches for NYC metro! Simple as that. It'll be a nice storm and ratios shouldn't be worse than 8:1-10:1

It'll be snowing quite hard for a while and I think it'll be an all snow event for us. Giving the timing of the day is a bit tricky with how much accumulations stick to the road but grassy and bridges should accumulate enough snow to be a plow able snow event. Enjoy it fellas and btw I just looked at the CMC omg! It shows close to 20 inches by next Wednesday for our area! Incredible dynamic system next Tuesday! Let's hope it comes to fruition!

Good thing I dont live in Times Square.

The outer boroughs will do fine.

Your right. If anyone is going to do well it's you up in NE queens with a little elevation and removed from the heat island. I just don't see how cpk sees more then white rain. The beast of a heat island has been nuts lately. With no real CAA surface temps will still be torched in the park and especially mid town. It's going to have to puke 2" or more hours rates to cool the column all the way to the surface in manhattan. Up at Columbia where I work, 150' up and miles north maybe a shot at a couple inches. I think the gradient is that tight

Archived