joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me growing up in Glen Burnie I only remember one big storm in Feb. - "The storm of '95" was all over the news. Don't ever remember it being cold or anything. That year was sandwiched between the two epic winters of my childhood- '94 and '96.

Looking at the BWI records there was 7.2" on 2/4/95 (a daily record)- that was basically the only snow the entire winter other than a few cartoppers.

Edit: I should probably add that I'd be very happy with a '95 type winter- give me one good 5+" event and I consider it a win in this region.

It was 5 degrees at BWI a couple days after the big snow. Feb averaged 2.7 below the 1981-2010 norm.

It was 5 degrees at BWI a couple days after the big snow. Feb averaged 2.7 below the 1981-2010 norm.

You got me curious so I pulled the month in more detail. We had some good negative departures and snowcover (8 days) in the first half of the month- nothing record-breaking but fairly good. Guess it got overshadowed in my mind by the much more extreme cold in the years before and after.

Dec. was +5.9 (12th hottest) and Jan. was +6.1 though.... guess winter didn't start until Feb. :axe:

Getting the feeling that this is going to be a one month winter (February). I think most of, if not all of January is above normal warmth and below average snow. February is probably the "coldest" and "snowiest" month, although nothing like the cold we have been used to seeing. Based on history, I think March goes right back to sucking and we go into spring quickly, given strong and very strong Nino climo for that month.

Getting the feeling that this is going to be a one month winter (February). I think most of, if not all of January is above normal warmth and below average snow. February is probably the "coldest" and "snowiest" month, although nothing like the cold we have been used to seeing. Based on history, I think March goes right back to sucking and we go into spring quickly, given strong and very strong Nino climo for that month.

Maybe you could back up this post with something?  Anything?

Maybe you could back up this post with something? Anything?

Zero evidence of a weakening stratospheric vortex and any warming, horrible long wave pattern to begin January being projected, climo of past super Ninos. It is going to take a long time to get the pattern "wintry" in the east, something this bad doesn't just change over night, it's gonna take awhile

Maybe you could back up this post with something? Anything?

Read some tweets today from people that know a lot more about the stratosphere than me, that made me even more confident of my call. They are seeing signs that attacks on the vortex and possible warmings will happen during January. Given the incredible strength of the vortex the process of weakening it and elongating it will take some time. They said it will be a long process, which makes sense. They also said that a total breakdown of the vortex is very unlikely given its strength and that an elongation is much more likely. If the process starts once into January, I would not expect a meaningful change to wintry until the end of January at the very earliest and much more likely the changes come in February. As far as March, given what I've seen looking at past strong Ninos it's a lost cause until proven otherwise IMO. Not to say I won't change that idea once into February and I see where the pattern is going, but I don't have confidence at all in that month producing as far as cold and snowy weather

Probably for your location and south March will suck.

SSW/PV dislodging is the new chase it all winter weenie habit. Most don't even know what they are talking about.

I've always said when the threads fill up with ssw chatter it means we are in big trouble. Last year was an exception because we did well in the face of the typical futile chase.

I thought last night's ens run looked pretty crappy. Not that I was expecting an abrupt way out of this mess though.

I've always said when the threads fill up with ssw chatter it means we are in big trouble. Last year was an exception because we did well in the face of the typical futile chase.

I thought last night's ens run looked pretty crappy. Not that I was expecting an abrupt way out of this mess though.

It did look crappy and though the vortex looked pretty robust so I'm not sure what all the chatter is about.  I'll be doing my 2 week outlook today that no one will read because I won't be mentioning snow.

Archived