• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3 Weeks of Deep Winter: February 13-March 7 2015

WxUSAF

3 area-wide verified winter-storm warnings (2 snow, 1 ice).

BWI:  17 days of double-digit below normal temps.  8 record cold temps tied or broken (thus far).  18.7" of snow and 2 major ice events. 

DCA:  13 days of double-digit below normal temps.  2 record cold temps.  14.7" of snow and 2 ice storms.

IAD:  15 days of double-digit below normal temps. 7 record cold temps (including below zero once).  25.7" of snow and the 2 ice events. 

Someone please add RIC or any other locations. 

IMBY we had constant snow cover for the entire period (and counting) with 24.5" of snow.  The Feb 14th arctic front was one of the most memorable events I can recall. 

This period saved the winter obviously. Started with that Sat eve Frontal snow that put down 3" here in just over an hour, followed by the 6" storm the following Monday night. Add in a 3 inch event, another inch or so of snow, an ice storm, and yesterday's 7" storm here, and it was a pretty epic period for late winter, and for a winter that began so horribly.

IMBY- 20"+ of snow, roughly a half inch of sleet/ice, and snow on the ground through the whole period. Two nights with lows below zero, and many single digit lows.

Wow, check out that -EPO.  I like to try to learn at least one key concept each winter here - the EPO was definitely the big item this year I learned more about (and its affect on our weather here). 

It's a -EPO/-WPO/+PNA actually. 

Really nice stretch.  We were 2/3 WSW verification (Feb 16 under-whelmed), and we completely missed on the ice event, though we only had a WWA for that.  No worries, because freezing rain is worthless.

I still wish this stretch had occurred 6-8 weeks prior when we could've maximized sun-angle.  Imagine the deep-freeze and glacial snow-pack we would have had in early Jan with these departures.  Oh well, still it turned an absolute train-wreck of a winter into a good one.  

Wow, check out that -EPO.  I like to try to learn at least one key concept each winter here - the EPO was definitely the big item this year I learned more about (and its affect on our weather here). 

Its something I'm trying to learn more about too after the last two winters. If you or anyone else have good sites that explain EPO/WPO in detail, let me know!

Right now the -epo is driving cold down into the central and eastern conus

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_2.png

That's going to breakdown and change in the medium range. Pac flow that is now cutoff from Canada and the west coast is about to change. This will flood the western 2/3rds of Canada with warmer air so our source region is going to become unfavorable for a while. 

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_6.png

Really nice stretch.  We were 2/3 WSW verification (Feb 16 under-whelmed), and we completely missed on the ice event, though we only had a WWA for that.  No worries, because freezing rain is worthless.

I still wish this stretch had occurred 6-8 weeks prior when we could've maximized sun-angle.  Imagine the deep-freeze and glacial snow-pack we would have had in early Jan with these departures.  Oh well, still it turned an absolute train-wreck of a winter into a good one.

Agree 100%. Of the 33.7 I've had this winter 29.2 has fell in this timeframe. Plus Feb was a -9.8 departure with several record daily lows and low daily max highs too!

Archived