• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1 CAD Event Discussion

JoshM

Freezing Rain Advisory for less than .1".  Better get my generator ready and make a milk and bread run. :)

For some reason NAM hasn't been updated on Tropical Tidbits or Twisterdata so I can't see 2m temps or precip type arghh.  SREF totals looking a little more impressive than up to .1" with qpf mean of .25" through mid day tomorrow.

The SREFs are really bullish here.  They have 0.37" QPF before our primary POP turns to rain. :yikes:  The SREFs sometimes overdo surface temperatures, too.

I still think this is a T-0.1" ZR event, though.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
320 PM EST SAT FEB 28 2015

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT UNTIL 10
AM SUNDAY MORNING...

SCZ015-016-020>022-029-031-010900-
/O.NEW.KCAE.ZR.Y.0003.150301T0500Z-150301T1500Z/
LANCASTER-CHESTERFIELD-NEWBERRY-FAIRFIELD-KERSHAW-LEE-SUMTER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LANCASTER...ELGIN...CHERAW...PAGELAND...
NEWBERRY...WINNSBORO...CAMDEN...LUGOFF...BISHOPVILLE...SUMTER

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
10 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN COLUMBIA HAS ISSUED A FREEZING
RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 10 AM
EST SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTH MIDLANDS AND PEE DEE REGION.

* HAZARD TYPES...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH.

* TIMING...FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT UNTIL 10 AM SUNDAY.

* IMPACTS...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF FREEZING RAIN ON ROADWAYS COULD
CAUSE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR
FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Although I'll believe it when I see it.

If I read the zone numbers right, GSP is going to put out a Freezing Rain Advisory for the entire area except the extreme northern counties where Winter Wx Advisory is going.

.GSP WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...

GA...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO NOON EST

SUNDAY FOR GAZ010-017.

NC...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO NOON EST

SUNDAY FOR NCZ048-051>053-058-059-062>065-068>072-082-

507>510.

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FROM 3 AM TO 5 PM EST SUNDAY FOR

NCZ033-035>037-049-050-056-057-501>506.

SC...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO NOON EST

SUNDAY FOR SCZ001>003-006>009-012>014.

well i was surprised, just loaded the nws page and there is one out.  i am really just not feeling this one - its been sunny and in the mid 40s all day.  the moisture this morning kept hitting a wall at the county line lol. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT UNTIL 10

AM SUNDAY MORNING...

SCZ015-016-020>022-029-031-010900-

/O.NEW.KCAE.ZR.Y.0003.150301T0500Z-150301T1500Z/

LANCASTER-CHESTERFIELD-NEWBERRY-FAIRFIELD-KERSHAW-LEE-SUMTER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LANCASTER...ELGIN...CHERAW...PAGELAND...

NEWBERRY...WINNSBORO...CAMDEN...LUGOFF...BISHOPVILLE...SUMTER

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

10 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN COLUMBIA HAS ISSUED A FREEZING

RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 10 AM

EST SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTH MIDLANDS AND PEE DEE REGION.

* HAZARD TYPES...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH.

* TIMING...FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT UNTIL 10 AM SUNDAY.

* IMPACTS...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF FREEZING RAIN ON ROADWAYS COULD

CAUSE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR

FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR

SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Although I'll believe it when I see it.

Sumter and Lee counties are now part of the northern midlands? :arrowhead:

For you guys in the SC Midlands, I was pretty sure the best threat was the far Northern Midlands.  I still stick with that idea.

Edit: Sun is still out of course (just now trying to cloud up down this way) and I think the WAA will actually take over in this scenario as the wedge is trying to pull away.  My post last night about a stronger wedge this day was actually premature and I believe that North of a line from Newberry across the West has a better chance.  Maybe Chester/Lancaster/Kershaw can get involved.

Outside of Northern Richland county, I don't see much.  The WAA surging North should be enough to warm it combined with the High pulling away from an optimal position.  Once again, it's Wintry for NE GA, Upstate, & NC.  When was the last time we haven't heard that around CAE? :)

Now, with all of that said, things could bust so please don't take my thoughts 100%.  If I get some free time, I'll post a preliminary map on Twitter for possible ZR areas.

Here is an example of a map that is in my opinion, too far South with the ZR line; but could be possible for a very brief period of time on the Southern line.  It's well North of I-20 in SC and again, the 4KM NAM looks nothing like it as far South.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_6.png

For you guys in the SC Midlands, I was pretty sure the best threat was the far Northern Midlands.  I still stick with that idea.

Edit: Sun is still out of course (just now trying to cloud up down this way) and I think the WAA will actually take over in this scenario as the wedge is trying to pull away.  My post last night about a stronger wedge this day was actually premature and I believe that North of a line from Newberry across the West has a better chance.  Maybe Chester/Lancaster/Kershaw can get involved.

Outside of Northern Richland county, I don't see much.  The WAA surging North should be enough to warm it combined with the High pulling away from an optimal position.  Once again, it's Wintry for NE GA, Upstate, & NC.  When was the last time we haven't heard that around CAE? :)

Now, with all of that said, things could bust so please don't take my thoughts 100%.  If I get some free time, I'll post a preliminary map on Twitter for possible ZR areas.

I think you are right on with your assessment.  I'll tell you one thing that busted, and that was today's high temperatures.  I don't recall one forecast putting Columbia in the 50s today.  

Here is an example of a map that is in my opinion, too far South with the ZR line; but could be possible for a very brief period of time on the Southern line.  It's well North of I-20 in SC and again, the 4KM NAM looks nothing like it as far South.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_6.png

My weatherbug has me forecasted for freezing rain and 31 tonight. Of course this is for Blythewood, not sure what downtown has. 

Does the phase of the moon help any?

Actually, not to get off topic but the nocturnal and moon phase stuff is being & has been studied exclusively to possibly cause major changes in not just our weather, but climate, behavior, etc.  We really don't know much at all with how the world/weather/anything works. :/

Archived