• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1 CAD Event Discussion

JoshM

Raleigh probably gonna issue an advisory this afternoon, that was thinking in AFD.

Also of note is the changeover from rain back to snow for Thursday. We Rollercoaster temp wise, then after Thursday below normal, which isn't that bad in March. Next weekend Into early next week is the chance to get a March winter event imo east of the apps, if we are going to get one that isn't piddl like this Sunday or cold chasing moisture next Thursday.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had not paid much attention to this until now but it should be noted the models are a solid 10 to 15 degrees too warm with dewpoints in general. They are just badly under estimated at the moment everywhere i look.

I'll say this, if there was a 1044mb high over the mid atlantic...9/10 times that ends in freezing temps well down into ne ga. I know there isn't a lot of precip but it's a little bit of a mystery to me why the models aren't colder.  A lot depends on temps today for ga/sc as the models warm us up pretty well. However, there is already a thick cloud cover with virga overhead and in fact  nam is showing precip later today..it's hard to picture a lot of  warming today with stiff northeast winds and if it stays cloudy with any precip.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some sleet or even light snow/flurries if anything manages to reach the ground this morning. Soundings are cold/dry enough that it should be flakes if it reaches the ground. Cloud deck is low enough it looks like it could.

I had not paid much attention to this until now but it should be noted the models are a solid 10 to 15 degrees too warm with dewpoints in general. They are just badly under estimated at the moment everywhere i look.

I'll say this, if there was a 1044mb high over the mid atlantic...9/10 times that ends in freezing temps well down into ne ga. I know there isn't a lot of precip but it's a little bit of a mystery to me why the models aren't colder. A lot depends on temps today for ga/sc as the models warm us up pretty well. However, there is already a thick cloud cover with virga overhead and in fact  nam is showing precip later today..it's hard to picture a lot of  warming today with stiff northeast winds and if it stays cloudy with any precip.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some sleet or even light snow/flurries if anything manages to reach the ground this morning. Soundings are cold/dry enough that it should be flakes if it reaches the ground. Cloud deck is low enough it looks like it could.

Local news just mentioned snow flurries here this morning. They said it wasn't likely, but they did give it a nod.

There's an impressive 1044 High sitting over MD right now with a decent CAD signature wedged down into N GA. I wonder if this will be a case of precip chasing the cold, or if the wedge can hold in place. Not wishing ZR on anyone, especially with all the power outages this week people have already had to endure.

pchg.gif

Well here's my interpretation of the 12z NAM. N & W of a line from Morganton to N Meck to Seagrove to Durham start as freezing rain between midnight and 3 am. They will all gradually change over to rain between 11 am and 4pm. During that time, .25 -.40 qpf will fall. Do the math from there. Triad area to Hickory N&W look like a warning may not be out of the question. Just to our north gets a bit more qpf.

TW

Local news just mentioned snow flurries here this morning. They said it wasn't likely, but they did give it a nod.

I did manage to see what looked like a cross between a flake and sleet. Was very light and  lasted about 5 minutes. I know its minuscule but  This makes the 5th time i've seen snow flakes this year here.

12z NAM has what looks to be warning criteria ice for parts of western part of NC.  Not sure about surface temps yet, but typical CAD areas should hold AOB freezing through at least 1pm.

TW

Most certainly. 0.35 to 0.50 liquid with temps below freezing in typical damming areas of nc. I believe it would likely make it down into the upstate as well since the models are missing these dewpoints pretty badly and evap cooling should be quite a bit more than indicated by the models, which show virtually zero since it's dewpoints are as much as 15 degrees too warm on the gfs for areas like gsp. 

I suspect temps will be in the 20s in western nc so those amounts would certainly make for a respectable event.  Question is, is the nam over doing amounts or not. Since this isn't progged to be a big/wet system i think it might be right. The nam did very well with the past few light/weak precip events..far better in fact than the gfs. So it's worth watching from the upstate into nc.

I'll say this, if there was a 1044mb high over the mid atlantic...9/10 times that ends in freezing temps well down into ne ga. I know there isn't a lot of precip but it's a little bit of a mystery to me why the models aren't colder. A lot depends on temps today for ga/sc as the models warm us up pretty well. However, there is already a thick cloud cover with virga overhead and in fact nam is showing precip later today..it's hard to picture a lot of warming today with stiff northeast winds and if it stays cloudy with any precip.

Temps may be a little warmer than forecast today around here. It's mostly sunny and temp is 38 and we were only suppose to reach upper 30s to 40. Mabe the cold is still trying to come in? It's very windy also.

Well here's my interpretation of the 12z NAM. N & W of a line from Morganton to N Meck to Seagrove to Durham start as freezing rain between midnight and 3 am. They will all gradually change over to rain between 11 am and 4pm. During that time, .25 -.40 qpf will fall. Do the math from there. Triad area to Hickory N&W look like a warning may not be out of the question. Just to our north gets a bit more qpf.

TW

I agree TW with your interpretation, and believe that there will be some icing in our areas then to rain.  Just concerned that there could be some issues with increased loads and stress on trees and powerlines.

From NWS Raleigh

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 1015 AM SATURDAY...

...THREAT FOR A LIGHT ICING EVENT INCREASING FOR THE NC PIEDMONT

EARLY SUNDAY...

TONIGHT AND SUNDAY... LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED WETTER LATE

TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THIS INCREASES THE THREAT FOR A LIGHT ICING

EPISODE EARLY SUNDAY...MAINLY ACROSS THE PIEDMONT COUNTIES.

TONIGHT...SFC RIDGE AXIS WILL REMAIN OVER THE REGION...MAINTAINING A

SUPPLY OF COLD DRY AIR IN THE LOWEST 2-4K FT OF THE ATMOSPHERE.

ABOVE THE COLD DRY STABLE LAYER...SLY FLOW WILL BE INCREASING IN

RESPONSE TO THE 850MB HIGH DRIFTING OFF THE SE U.S. COAST. THIS

RETURN FLOW WILL ADVECT A WARMER...MORE MOIST AIR MASS INTO THE

CAROLINAS. THIS RETURN FLOW STRENGTHENS SUBSTANTIALLY AFTER 12Z

SUNDAY...THUS EXPECT THE BEST UPGLIDE TO OCCUR AFTER DAYBREAK

SUNDAY. STILL...MODELS HAVE A TENDENCY TO BE A LITTLE TARDY WITH

RETURN FLOW EVENTS. THUS WILL INTRODUCE A SLIGHT/SMALL CHANCE POP

INTO THE FORECAST FOR THE PRE-DAWN HOURS WITH THE HIGHEST POPS

CONFINED TO THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT/WESTERN SANDHILLS.

PARTIAL THICKNESS TECHNIQUE INDICATES A TREND TOWARD RAIN BY

DAYBREAK SUNDAY AS A DECENT WARM NOSE DEVELOPS ALOFT. HOWEVER MODEL

SOUNDINGS INDICATE A SHALLOW SUB FREEZING LAYER OVER MOST OF CENTRAL

NC AT DAYBREAK SUNDAY. THUS...ANY LIGHT PRECIP THAT OCCURS PRIOR TO

DAYBREAK WILL LIKELY BE IN THE FORM OF FREEZING RAIN/FREEZING

DRIZZLE.

MIN TEMPS WILL VARY FROM THE LOWER 20S IN THE NORTHERN COASTAL PLAIN

WHERE CLOUD COVERAGE WILL INITIALLY BE THINNEST TO THE UPPER 20S

ACROSS THE FAR SOUTH-SW.

SUNDAY...PRECIPITATION EXPECTED TO BECOME MORE COMMON AFTER DAYBREAK

ACROSS THE WEST AS ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE INCREASES. THIS PRECIP FALLING

THROUGH THE DRY AIR MASS IN THE SUB CLOUD LAYER WILL LEAD TO

EVAPORATIVE COOLING...LIKELY LOCKING IN THE SUB FREEZING SFC TEMPS

OVER THE PIEDMONT FOR A GOOD PART OF THE MORNING. DUE TO TIMING

UNCERTAINTY...WILL CAP POPS AT SOLID CHANCE ACROSS THE WESTERN

COUNTIES TRENDING TO SLIGHT CHANCE IN THE COASTAL PLAIN. IF LATER

MODEL RUNS ARE CONSISTENT...AN INCREASE IN POPS WILL BE WARRANTED

AFTER DAYBREAK IN THE WEST.

THE LOCKING IN OF THE SUB FREEZING TEMPS WILL CAUSE A PERIOD OF

LIGHT FREEZING RAIN OVER MOST OF THE PIEDMONT SUNDAY MORNING. AT

THIS TIME NOT EXPECTING ENOUGH ICE ACCRUAL TO CAUSE POWER OUTAGES

BUT COULD SEE SOME SLICK ROADS...ESPECIALLY BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

THIS WILL LIKELY WARRANT THE NEED OF AN ADVISORY IN LATER FORECAST

ISSUANCE. IN THE MEANTIME...WILL HIGHLIGHT THREAT IN THE HWO.

EXPECT PRECIPITATION CHANCES TO INCREASE TO LIKELY SUNDAY AFTERNOON

AS UPGLIDE REACHES MAXIMUM. WILL EVENTUALLY SEE FREEZING RAIN

TRANSITION TO A COLD RAIN OVER MOST OF THE PIEDMONT BY MID DAY...AND

OVER THE NW PIEDMONT BY EARLY AFTERNOON. THE OVERCAST SKIES AND

EXPECTED PRECIP WILL LIMIT TEMPS TO THE LOW-MID 30S OVER THE

PIEDMONT COUNTIES TO THE UPPER 30S-LOWER 40S EAST OF HIGHWAY 1.-WSS

Archived