joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1 CAD Event Discussion

JoshM

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z NAM is close at the beginning Sunday Morning, Nice CAD Sig. For a while Who Knows?  Latest from NWS,

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER
MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE
OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.
.SUNDAY...CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN...FREEZING RAIN...SNOW
AND SLEET IN THE MORNING...THEN A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE
AFTERNOON. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS AROUND 40. LIGHT
AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT. 

nam_namer_039_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

12z CMC 

I_nw_g1_EST_2015022712_050.png

18Z GFS coming around. 

TW

Looks like a onset event incoming for a lot of us, these usually amount to nothing more than a few hrs of light snow or sleet before quickly going ZR to rain but still nice to see some more winter weather. Maybe a WWA criteria event over SC since it starts earlier and may last longer there.

I am surprised there is not more "serious" discussion on this next even from the NC crowd. The NAM is showing .25"+ of precipitation having already fallen over the Piedmont with the northern portion still below freezing at 39 hours. 

attachicon.gifnam.gif

Could be a little surprise, Just like the other morning. They were calling slight chance snow showers I got 3 inches...

On the 00Z NAM shows .19qpf falls with temps ranging 26-29, the temp then shoots up to 35 by hour 39

I don't see it warming nearly that fast. I say we get up to freezing by noon to 2pm. Then to 33/34 by late afternoon. What role will snow cover play if it makes it through tomorrow?

TW

Well if this forecast works out tomorrow, there shouldn't be very much melting tomorrow!

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS.

I feel all alone.

Between 6 and noon on Sunday, looks a little dicey from my area, up to CLT and up into the piedmont! The wedge looks stout and high seems to try to hold on! I could see a warning criteria event in GSO and those areas, as the wedge probly breaks down slower and will be colder than modeled! 0z GFS

You know, I was ridiculing this event before, but the NAM might have been sniffing out yet another event.  The GFS just came through with a solid advisory level event and the NAM, of course, was right around warning criteria.

We rock at March ice storms going back to last year, so maybe it's our new climo.  We overperform when it comes to ice.  #ICETOWN  :yikes:

You know, I was ridiculing this event before, but the NAM might have been sniffing out yet another event.  The GFS just came through with a solid advisory level event and the NAM, of course, was right around warning criteria.

We rock at March ice storms going back to last year, so maybe it's our new climo.  We overperform when it comes to ice.  #ICETOWN  :yikes:

You all laughed at my event :weep:

I'm sending you a crippling ice storm!!!

According to 0z GFS you're a lot colder than my area

gfs_T2m_neus_7.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_6.png

The 00z GFS is close to a heavier event for the CAE area.  33F with around .16 falling or so but dew points are freezing or below.

Overall precipitation looks to be right under a half-inch with the temperatures in the 30s.

Lets keep something in mind that we all learned a couple weeks ago.  The models severely under-did the wedge and colder temperatures for many.  It saved the Upstate from a pretty bad ice storm.  With the GFS now trying to jump on board and being down here around CAE with a lot more moisture earlier is a bit worrisome.

Raw soundings for my back yard around Lexington literally have .01 - 0.2c surface temperatures during some pretty heavy precipitation.  That is something that theoretically should be colder than progged based on model history with a potent wedge established without a surface low tracking close by.

Edit:

Looking over the 00z GEFS, there is a strong signal for freezing rain well into South Carolina mainly along a line of just North from I-20.  00z ECMWF is not nearly as impressed with the colder idea, but does have precipitation entering the area with temperatures around the mid to upper 30s.

Archived