joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm Feb 25-26 Obs

Mr Bob

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm waiting to measure but I can eyeball it and it's probably 4-5". A couple of things to note about this storm:

• The northern precip shield was underdone on the models - as was mentioned in this forum
  • It was mentioned that this looked stronger than last years Feb 14 storm, and the snow totals will end up equal to that if not slightly higher
  • SREF plumes have been a little lower than what actually happened
  • The GFS (for the umpteenth time) suppressed the storm and slowly bent it back our direction
  • Once again the totals had to be bumped up at the last minute for this storm

I'll do an 'official' measurement or three in the morning once this tapers off as I'm too warm to do it now.

Unless they upgrade the GFS and the other models, let's try to remember these little facts about these types of lows for next winter.

Also, after this storm CHA, TYS, and TRI will likely all be well above average for seasonal snowfall. Not bad for only two weeks.

Last measurement for the night has me right at 6 inches for tonights event, and at about 9.5 (depending on measuring location) total snowfall on the ground. There is still some light to even moderate snow falling, but judging by the radar, I doubt I will get any higher than 6.25 inches for tonight.. Which is still right in line with the original 4-7 inches that was forecast for my area.

It's been a fun time guys. Thanks for all of the good information and entertainment! 

I'm waiting to measure but I can eyeball it and it's probably 4-5". A couple of things to note about this storm:

• The northern precip shield was underdone on the models - as was mentioned in this forum
  • It was mentioned that this looked stronger than last years Feb 14 storm, and the snow totals will end up equal to that if not slightly higher
  • SREF plumes have been a little lower than what actually happened
  • The GFS (for the umpteenth time) suppressed the storm and slowly bent it back our direction
  • Once again the totals had to be bumped up at the last minute for this storm

I'll do an 'official' measurement or three in the morning once this tapers off as I'm too warm to do it now.

Unless they upgrade the GFS and the other models, let's try to remember these little facts about these types of lows for next winter.

Also, after this storm CHA, TYS, and TRI will likely all be well above average for seasonal snowfall. Not bad for only two weeks.

We hit our annual average after 4 hours of snow. I think we only average about 3 to 4" annually. I LIKE IT!

Official total for Huntsville is 8.0 inches. Local Mets predicted 2-4 (channel 19), 3-5 (channel 48). Predictions were bumped up as they saw we were getting dumped on. Robert (WxSouth) was spot on for our area as he predicted up to eight inches well before the system arrived, although he states he busted the forecast further east.

Very glad to see Tennessee get snow; looks like Chattanooga did as well as we did!

The temps were just a few degrees below freezing with little wind, so kids and adults were out playing in the snow until late in the evening.

Ended up with just about 5in here at the house. A nice way to finish up an unbelievable 2weeks of winter. This snow overnight puts me at 16in for

The season here at the house. Almost all of which has fallen in the last 2weeks. We had a little over half an inch on Jan 24, and a third of an inch in November, as well as another quarter inch in Jan. And some dustings here and there, but nothing like this 2 weeks! It's been an amazing way to cap off and otherwise dull, but cold winter!

Pretty amazing here in downtown Chatt...Last year's event there were some 8-9" reports in the burbs but downtown was at best 2-3". It is a solid eight from this event. The lack of wind allowed it to pile up on tree limbs and railings and it looks like something out of a photographers journal with the sun coming up. I cannot upload here at work but I might try and post some later. Congrats to all who scored on this one!

Official total for Huntsville is 8.0 inches. Local Mets predicted 2-4 (channel 19), 3-5 (channel 48). Predictions were bumped up as they saw we were getting dumped on. Robert (WxSouth) was spot on for our area as he predicted up to eight inches well before the system arrived, although he states he busted the forecast further east.

Very glad to see Tennessee get snow; looks like Chattanooga did as well as we did!

The temps were just a few degrees below freezing with little wind, so kids and adults were out playing in the snow until late in the evening.

I'm so happy y'all got hit this time and especially with the storm last Monday that missed. The folks in Alabama were nice when I went to Talladega last year. Y'all don't get mentioned nearly as much as the rest of us.

I got 3.5 new inches of cotton candy coverings. :) That brings the 11 day total to 20.25. Add .25 on thanksgiving and .50 a week or so before this run. Season total = 21 inches. Just an amazing run that rivals the best years here. This is the biggest total for me since the epic winter of 09-10. She was a late bloomer I'll say that.

Now we need to get Jax a good storm.

Ended up w/ about 3.5 - 4" of new snow after a very slow start to the storm.  The driveway piles(where the snow has been shoveled) will take a couple of weeks to melt.  What a great couple of weeks of winter weather.  January 2014 will be remembered for extended cold and snow.  And February 2015 will be remembered as a great winter month for the Valley, maybe the best 10-11 days of winter seen in a long, long time.  This morning, as I shoveled the sidewalk, and owl hooted somewhere in the distance.  Birds were chirping.  Seemed like a spring day...w/ snowpack.  I am hopeful someday not too far away as I write a winter storm obs, I will have to ask myself this fantastic question again, "Is snowpack one word or two."

Finished with 7.5" at my house. I live at the foot of Missionary Ridge  about 1 mile from Georgia border. Airport was officially 6.3". Reports of anywhere between 7" up to 11" across town. Waiting for a report from son in law on Signal Mountain. Should be interesting.

Winner winner, snow cream dinner! 

Congrats Stovepipe and everyone else on a loaded backend Winter!!!

:ee:

Archived