• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 3-4th Winter Storm Potential

OntarioChaser

Kitchen sink. Might be fun/interesting watching it unfold.

I'm kinda meh about it overall...if it starts to look like more ice then that's a different story.  You know me :)

I'm curious if we will see any discernable change in the model forecast thermal profiles/sfc temps after the current storm goes by and the new snowcover data is ingested. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kinda meh about it overall...if it starts to look like more ice then that's a different story.  You know me :)

I'm curious if we will see any discernable change in the model forecast thermal profiles/sfc temps after the current storm goes by and the new snowcover data is ingested. 

I'll root for ice, considering snow is off the table. :)

The 0z GFS has a nice 5-7" for the GTA. Would probably be wet snow if that run verified. The freezing line just crosses the city at 850mb on this run. 

That's too high. Verbatim, it has 3-4" in the city itself with some PL mixing in down towards YHM-Niagara. Eventually we go over to -ZR/-RN but all the synoptic features are clearly further south this run.

That's too high. Verbatim, it has 3-4" in the city itself with some PL mixing in down towards YHM-Niagara. Eventually we go over to -ZR/-RN but all the synoptic features are clearly further south this run.

I agree. Just had a second look, minor misconception in my post. Its cooler than previous runs, thats for sure. The 0z Ukmet looks interesting as well. 

Verbatim, areas north of I-80 in IL don't change to plain rain.

Right now I'd say a blend of the GEM and GFS in terms of placement would be prudent.  The GFS and NAM are likely too far north, especially given seasonal trends this year.  Maybe N Illinois will score another one, though.

All of the models are beginning to completely lose the southern low now as the shortwave moves eastward (GGEM does also).

If that does happens, we'll probably end up losing some of the dynamics for precipitation production (thus a reduction in QPF).

It certainly has been a fear, that with the southern/weaker trend, it would still be a lose-lose situation as the better precipitation ends up either remaining mainly in the warm sector or splitting us to the north and south.

Thinking this could be one of our first pinger fest systems we've had around here in several years.  Haven't had much sleet here compared to other areas in recent years, so I guess we're sort of due.

Still a bit early, and confidence isn't the greatest, but starting to think we see a brief period of snow that doesn't add up to much before quickly changing to a sleety/glazy mix that lasts for several hours Tue.  Probably go over to plain rain/drizzle for quite awhile before changing back to a few bursts of wet non-accumulating snow before precip shuts down.  All in all a non-event from a snow enthusiast for here, but an interesting evolution of wintry weather at least.

All in all this system appears to be sort of a loser anyway in regards to snow production.  A lot of moisture available, but the quick movement of the storm combined with meager cold sector precip should keep accums at or below warning criteria for the most part.  

Thinking this could be one of our first pinger fest systems we've had around here in several years.  Haven't had much sleet here compared to other areas in recent years, so I guess we're sort of due.

Still a bit early, and confidence isn't the greatest, but starting to think we see a brief period of snow that doesn't add up to much before quickly changing to a sleety/glazy mix that lasts for several hours Tue.  Probably go over to plain rain/drizzle for quite awhile before changing back to a few bursts of wet non-accumulating snow before precip shuts down.  All in all a non-event from a snow enthusiast for here, but an interesting evolution of wintry weather at least.

All in all this system appears to be sort of a loser anyway in regards to snow production.  A lot of moisture available, but the quick movement of the storm combined with meager cold sector precip should keep accums at or below warning criteria for the most part.  

GGEM hitting the sleet hard...some places would be looking at an inch of sleet if it pans out.  Other models not as bullish but still time to sort it out.

Final call: 1-4" of snow/sleet followed by a glazing of ice and then a cold rain...

I'm thinking along those lines, but leaning toward drizzle or freezing drizzle in the dry slot instead of straight rain.  I'm making the usual assumption that the models are underestimating the dry slot's progress and overestimating dry slot qpf...nothing fancy.

As usual, don't know what to think for this area. Most of the models are showing a nice snowfall except for the NAM. Almost any time the NAM disagrees with them and has the snow going north, it seems to win.

Compare the NAM at 500mb to the GFS or GEM.  It's way out to lunch right now...as of the 6z run at least.

Archived