• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2/21-2/23 Weekend Possible Storm

Zelocita Weather

Some people to stop taking the models verbatim and then spitting out the results like a computer.  Models are nice to get an idea of the setup, but its meteorology not modelology.  The models are meant to help the forecasters make an educated guess based on setup, trends, different variables, not just print a map out like ur accuweather phone app.  And im with Goose on this one.  GFS would clock us, this setup and track with all the cold air in place would lead to a lot more snow than the gfs shows.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the snow accum map it appears to me the GFS is torching the BL near the coast because winds are SSW but we have seen in the last month that does little or anything without a strong system or very strong flow.

This is warmest panel at the surface, but with all the other levels also above freezing you're not going to overcome a warm BL

gfs_T2m_neus_15.png

Are you kidding me? You have a 50kt+ mid-level just throwing mid-level warmth directly from the Gulf. Give me a break.

gfs_mslp_uv850_neus_13.png

GFS is notorious for underestimating the BL. We have seen this happened this season. I doubt it's going to warm up like what the GFS is showing with a weak low. It's also the only model that hangs the front back.

GFS is notorious for underestimating the BL. We have seen this happened this season. I doubt it's going to warm up like what the GFS is showing with a weak low. It's also the only model that hangs the front back.

Anthony, use your head my friend. The ridge is the source of the warmth here with the clockwise flow around the high.

enough of the bickering.  Look at the trends instead of living and dying by every model run.   We've trended AWAY from a decent lakes cutter to a vevy weak low...that's the trend the past few days.   Means we'll likely see more snow on the front end and less rain on the backend. Anyone looking for 45 and windblown rains is likely to be disappointed based on the 24 hour trend.  Whether we get .25 of plain rain or .50 is still to be determined,but based on the trends, thinking we see less plain rain especially given the cold antecendant ai rmass in place.  Argues for a decent front end thump.

I really didn't want to go down that road but you left me no choice. The surface low, however weak it may be, does indeed track over Western NY, and that is indeed a cutter.

If I knew you better, I might understand your posts better, but it seems you are a very literal person working with a narrow definition and missing the big picture.  Arguing over the definition of cuter is pointless especially when your definition is so narrowly focused.

If it helps, I didn't see anyone posting that this would NOT end as some form of liquid. 

When I read a one liner that says amped up cutter, I assume something very different than what I am seeing on the models this morning.  Unless your job is writing tabloid headlines, I'd rethink those posts before pressing submit.  I'm sure you've seen appeals like that posted here before and hopefully one of them will take instead if telling Ant to use his head and all the other passive aggressive shots you direct at people who disagree with you.

And while I am venting, stop telling posters you disagree with that "we all think..."  or "we all know better...".  You do not speak for me.

enough of the bickering.  Look at the trends instead of living and dying by every model run.   We've trended AWAY from a decent lakes cutter to a vevy weak low...that's the trend the past few days.   Means we'll likely see more snow on the front end and less rain on the backend. Anyone looking for 45 and windblown rains is likely to be disappointed based on the 24 hour trend.  Whether we get .25 of plain rain or .50 is still to be determined,but based on the trends, thinking we see less plain rain especially given the cold antecendant ai rmass in place.  Argues for a decent front end thump.

Agreed but the weenies don't look at those things, they'll never see it.

If I knew you better, I might understand your posts better, but it seems you are a very literal person working with a narrow definition and missing the big picture.  Arguing over the definition of cuter is pointless especially when your definition is so narrowly focused.

If it helps, I didn't see anyone posting that this would end as some form of liquid. 

When I read a one liner that says amped up cutter, I assume something very different than what I am seeing on the models this morning.  Unless your job is writing tabloid headlines, I'd rethink those posts before pressing submit.  I'm sure you've seen appeals like that posted here before and hopefully one of them will take instead if telling Ant to use his head and all the other passive aggressive shots you direct at people who disagree with you.

And while I am venting, stop telling posters you disagree with that "we all think..."  or "we all know better...".  You do not speak for me.

Yeah I never made a "amped up cutter post"

When I said that it was more amped up I was referring to 500mb at hour 60 over the OH Valley.

Here is 06z

gfs_z500_vort_eus_13.png

And now here is 12z

gfs_z500_vort_eus_12.png

Now I know that some people around here only show up when we have a threat, and maybe you're one of them, but ask around. A few posters have dubbed me the most improved poster this season.

Yeah I never made a "amped up cutter post"

When I said that it was more amped up I was referring to 500mb at hour 60 over the OH Valley.

Here is 06z

gfs_z500_vort_eus_13.png

And now here is 12z

gfs_z500_vort_eus_12.png

Now I know that some people around here only show up when we have a threat, and maybe you're one of them, but ask around. A few posters have dubbed me the most improved poster this season.

I still think you need to reconsider the way you use certain terms.  Your usage of "amped" is way off.  The flat flow at 6z is the flat flow at 12z.  Nothing is amped.

Agreed but the weenies don't look at those things, they'll never see it.

Maybe we shouldn't even be looking at model details beyond 24-48 since the seasonal trend always

magically gets confirmed under 2 days that the models have been playing catch up with all winter.

The two types of major winter storms for us this winter:

A system that is far enough west that has a good front end thump before any PTYPE issues and

surface temps verify colder with less rain than expected.

A strong coastal storm that stays all snow that goes too far east  for areas west of NYC to cash in on the

jackpot.

Maybe we shouldn't even be looking at model details beyond 24-48 since the seasonal trend always

magically gets confirmed under 2 days that the models have been playing catch up with all winter.

A system that is far enough west that has a good front end thump before any PTYPE issues and

A strong coastal storm that stays all snow that goes too far east  for areas west of NYC to cash in on the

jackpot.

every great lakes cutter has verified weaker since the big xmas eve storm that failed to change the pattern

jackpot.

and both types have gotten most of us to an above average season

hardly anything to complain about,given how bad this winter could have turned out

jackpot.

Very good points....

Archived