northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2/21-2/23 Weekend Possible Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1-2" at best on a front end dump Saturday night. I wonder if the final result is ice storm city?

With the way this winter has gone, I wouldn't be shocked. GFS hangs the front which causes heights to rise. GFS is the only model doing this so we have to see if it is overplaying that.

If the GFS solution verified we'd get clocked with snow, don't believe it verbatim, and the lifting is impressive ahead of this, this is one of those overrunning events that you really need to watch for to surprise you.

I would agree that Saturday night will need to be watched, I'm just saying that the GFS verbatim was definitly warmer after whatever initially falls Saturday night.

I would agree that Saturday night will need to be watched, I'm just saying that the GFS verbatim was definitly warmer after whatever initially falls Saturday night.

Its probably overdoing surface warmth again, the fact it gives DCA more snow than us is a warning sign, DCA never does better than NYC on this sort of event.

I guess the GFS never overestimates surface temps. You are not warming up like this with a weak low.

Exactly.  No big transport of southerly or SW winds with a weak low.  It's a glorified SWFE that will likely drop a decent front end dump of 2-4 or 3-6 and then go to light rain or drizzle to end it.   Cold air in front of it and models always underdo the CAD or try to kick it out faster than what will actually happen.

Forget it unless you're blind then it's not hard to see that the 12z is clearly warmer than 06z. That doesn't mean it's correct but verbatim it is warmer by a bit.

Exactly, nobody is saying that the GFS is the final outcome, I just don't know how you could say it was a more favorable run.

I wouldn't focus too much on the strength of the surface low. The southwesterly low- to mid-level flow is pretty difficult to overlook:

ip7T8yt.png

This has been the pattern all season with a front end thump of snow then going to ice and the surface ends up 

verifying colder than the models expected since they underestimated low level CAD. They key is getting most

of the precip as snow on a front end that comes in faster leaving less precip to fall as ice.

Archived