joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm potential Tuesday 2/17/2015

famartin

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not feeling great about this now, really thought we'd see better trends with tonight's models. I'm thinking 2-3 for the city and immediate burbs, 3-5 SNJ and 1-3 north of the city. We don't need much for things to get better, but it's getting to be too late now. Hopefully we catch a deform band and I'm wrong, but this doesn't sit well with me.

What the heck is wrong with the Euro this winter?

It's broken bad. It's false snow signals have mared an otherwise enjoyable 30 days of winter. It should be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

They need to do a system restore on it....preferably back to like 10/1/2013 or so.    (remove all updates since) 

I'm starting to see positive trends on the short term models - less confluence, stronger low, more expansive precip - these positive changes will show onto the surface on the models throughout the day - cheers!

Would like to know which ones you mean...  SREF dried a bit, RGEM is pretty dry, NAM is wetter than those two but really very little change.

Unfortunately we are getting to the end of the road for this winter for locked in all snow events.

Maybe one more this weekend and even that could be a slop mix. Then we'll be battling rising normal temperatures, a week 3 and 4 pattern showing normal temperatures which by then is mid-upper 40s, so you're stuck with trying to get snow at night. Also a pattern that will favor cutters.

Unfortunately we are getting to the end of the road for this winter for locked in all snow events.

Maybe one more this weekend and even that could be a slop mix. Then we'll be battling rising normal temperatures, a week 3 and 4 pattern showing normal temperatures which by then is mid-upper 40s, so you're stuck with trying to get snow at night. Also a pattern that will favor cutters.

While u may be right, we still have at least 6 weeks of legit threats to track for our area. Wasn't the best winter ever but we've had an 'ok' run. I will take tracking slop over tracking 100 degree weather any day of the week.

0Z NAM QPF

MPO 0.11

ABE 0.17

RDG 0.22

TTN 0.31

PHL 0.41

ILG 0.43

ACY 0.63

GED 0.84

12Z NAM QPF and diff from 0Z:

MPO 0.07 -0.04

ABE 0.14 -0.03

RDG 0.19 -0.03

TTN 0.33 +0.02

PHL 0.36 -0.05

ILG 0.33 -0.10

ACY 0.58 -0.05

GED 0.78 -0.06

Odd that TTN went up and everyone else went down... lol.

I'm thinking this is one of those situations where the arctic air eats away at the precip shield to the NW. After battle virga for a few hours, I expect 1"-2" imby.

I've been thinking the same thing, lots of virga the first (few?) hours. I wonder if that's why the qpf totals (on the northwest side of the precip. shield) are edging down a bit even with the slp track not changing that much.

I've been thinking the same thing, lots of virga the first (few?) hours. I wonder if that's why the qpf totals (on the northwest side of the precip. shield) are edging down a bit even with the slp track not changing that much.

Interesting discussion took place over in the MA forum about if models forecasted QPF correctly, if it took in account only accumulated snow or if any has been lost due to dry air...Pretty heated discussion where both disagree. Even boundary layers that weren't sampled properly will throw off QPF.

Archived