joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm potential Tuesday 2/17/2015

famartin

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it will tap moisture from the gulf so sometimes a system like this gets confused with a Miller A.

Edit: Great post here and a great read.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/1415-miller-a-vs-miller-b/

very interesting, always learning something new. thanks for sharing, i suggest everyone take a minute to read that.

UKMET hasn't been great but good to see another model with a Euro like solution. Gives me some hope that the Euro will stand its ground.

No model has been good that's what makes this winter so damn tough I would say as a whole the European the RGEM and UKMET have probably been the best 3 but they have traded off from system to system so it's really been hard to know which one is going to get any particular one right

Euro still would be 2-4 inches depending on ratio's. Beggars can't be choosers. For me personally, I only want 3 inches to get to normal snowfall on the year. Anything else is gravy. With the Euro now in I'm putting out my final call. 1-3" from Upper bucks/mont into the LV, 3-6" for Philadelphia and immediate suburbs up to Trenton, 4 to 8" for S Jersey. Hopefully we can manage 12:1 ratios but from what I've learned tonight on ratios, I don't think we'll see higher than that. Ray do you agree with that?

Euro still would be 2-4 inches depending on ratio's. Beggars can't be choosers. For me personally, I only want 3 inches to get to normal snowfall on the year. Anything else is gravy. With the Euro now in I'm putting out my final call. 1-3" from Upper bucks/mont into the LV, 3-6" for Philadelphia and immediate suburbs up to Trenton, 4 to 8" for S Jersey. Hopefully we can manage 12:1 ratios but from what I've learned tonight on ratios, I don't think we'll see higher than that. Ray do you agree with that?

Yeah I'm not a big fan of super-high ratios with this one.  But, I'm in Nevada, what do I know...

It's broken bad. It's false snow signals have mared an otherwise enjoyable 30 days of winter. It should be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

I think it is just struggling with the progressive pattern this winter as all the models have this year. But I can't remember any time since I started following the models as an 11 year old kid, that the euro has folded so often 72 hours out from an event. Even when wrong it usually never has these jumps so close to an event as we've seen time and time again this winter.

It's broken bad. It's false snow signals have mared an otherwise enjoyable 30 days of winter. It should be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

What I don't get is how is can nail events 4-5 days out, like the Jan 26-27 blizzard, then progressively get worse as we get closer in. It's almost not worth staying up for any more. This not a very difficult setup, it's pretty inexcusable to crap the bed on a storm like this.

eh this is more of just a tick south, after a tick north, the differences arent as dramatic as people are making them out to be.  for e.g. PHL could be back at .50 qpf at 12z and it wouldn't be a huge change.

eh this is more of just a tick south, after a tick north, the differences arent as dramatic as people are making them out to be.  for e.g. PHL could be back at .50 qpf at 12z and it wouldn't be a huge change.

correct, even a 25 mile tick north would make a big change with the gradient of this storm. hopefully the north trend that has been so prevalent all year long can help us out tomorrow...

Would like to hear about how wind interacts w/snow ratios. From what I gather this will be a flat snow.

My 2 cents is that wind breaks up the flakes and tends to lead to a more dense and lower ratio snowfall. I know it also has to do with the environment in the snow growth zone and temps on the way down. This upcoming event should not be too windy so I'm thinking ratios may not be too bad, at least as far as wind impact goes.

Archived